Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven’t owned a pickup of any sort for at least 10 years. I always liked pickups for certain things and enjoyed using them as a tool but not as an everyday driver. Thats probably weird coming from a truck driver but thats the truth.
I have been driving my ‘06 Mustang as a daily 64 miles roundtrip everyday. At 91K the transmission showed signs of failing so I started looking at a pickup as a commuter since my job requires I work regardless of weather if at all possible. I even drove my Mustang to work in Seattle during the so-called "Snowmageddon"🙄 a couple of years back on all-seasons and I do not want to do that again.
Full-size trucks were not what I wanted and every mid-size truck was too small for a 6’2" 220lb trucker. I’ve always been intrigued by Honda’s way of doing things since my friend bought his Element and decided to go test drive a Ridgeline. I was shocked at how refined it was compared to any other pickup I ever drove and so I bought it. It seemed more than capable for anything I would want to do and I can say it really is a good commuter vehicle which is what it is going to be doing 99.99999% of the time, just like 99.99999% of all the pickups in the US do.
So here it is, my Ridgeline in front of a ridge line.
(I apologize for the bad joke which I am sure is not original)

·
Registered
421 Posts
Congrats. I think you'll really like it.

I would call my 2017 (first year of Gen2) the best all around vehicle Ive ever owned.

I have a full size 1/2 ton, and a Hybrid SUV and Ill pick the ridgeline for the trip every time.

If I put this thing in Grandpa mode I can pull 30 MPG at a flat and level 70 MPH which is incredible for an AWD 4 door vehicle that can tow 5K.

The newer one like your are probably just that much sweeter.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats. I think you'll really like it.

I would call my 2017 (first year of Gen2) the best all around vehicle Ive ever owned.

I have a full size 1/2 ton, and a Hybrid SUV and Ill pick the ridgeline for the trip every time.

If I put this thing in Grandpa mode I can pull 30 MPG at a flat and level 70 MPH which is incredible for an AWD 4 door vehicle that can tow 5K.

The newer one like your are probably just that much sweeter.
So far after a week of commuting in heavy traffic I am averaging 22.5mpg which is about the same as my old Mustang but MUCH more comfortable and quiet. Pretty sure the old Mustang had zero insulation.

·
Registered
421 Posts
This is little misleading but I was between 70 and 75 for the first 160 miles of this trip and was pulling 30 on the face. its usually about 1.5 MPG off.

IMG_1003.jpeg

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is little misleading but I was between 70 and 75 for the first 160 miles of this trip and was pulling 30 on the face. its usually about 1.5 MPG off.

View attachment 407517
I am going to check mine using pen and paper tomorrow or monday. I have learned not to trust those dash mpg gauges as their usually a little off. From what I understand its an estimate the ecm makes by monitoring how much air flow through the system. But even if that a little off 30mpg is outstanding. I haven't had a vehicle that could do that since the 80s.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
39 Posts
Here’s my Ridge at the Ridge Parking Area. You are gonna love having a truck again. This is my first truck so I can’t compare it to trucks but it’s my favorite to SUVs. Love the utility of it.

·
Super Moderator
1,644 Posts
Ha, that dash gauge thing is questionable but I will say that the countdown mileage to empty is an interesting and no so far off thing. I recently towed from my daughters house by Harrisburg to my house on the Pa Turnpike. I filled up on the way to her house and was towing my 3500lbs of Steiner and trailer and rototiller. On the way home I decided to "go for it" cause the mileage and Waze said the same thing to my destination home. So, as i was going along I just kept watching the miles count down. At one point going up over the mountain I didn't think i was going to make the distance and would have to stop but eased up on the throttle going up the hill and then on the downside the mileage returned and it looked good.
Well, i ended up about 2 miles from the exit with a "0 to empty" message and pulled into the gas station at the exit with 0 showing and filled the tank to exactly 18.5 which holds 19.5 total according to the owners manual. So, I'd guess that Honda put a reserve in there of a gallon for people like me lol.

Steve

·
Registered
85 Posts
I haven’t owned a pickup of any sort for at least 10 years. I always liked pickups for certain things and enjoyed using them as a tool but not as an everyday driver. Thats probably weird coming from a truck driver but thats the truth.
I have been driving my ‘06 Mustang as a daily 64 miles roundtrip everyday. At 91K the transmission showed signs of failing so I started looking at a pickup as a commuter since my job requires I work regardless of weather if at all possible. I even drove my Mustang to work in Seattle during the so-called "Snowmageddon"🙄 a couple of years back on all-seasons and I do not want to do that again.
Full-size trucks were not what I wanted and every mid-size truck was too small for a 6’2" 220lb trucker. I’ve always been intrigued by Honda’s way of doing things since my friend bought his Element and decided to go test drive a Ridgeline. I was shocked at how refined it was compared to any other pickup I ever drove and so I bought it. It seemed more than capable for anything I would want to do and I can say it really is a good commuter vehicle which is what it is going to be doing 99.99999% of the time, just like 99.99999% of all the pickups in the US do.
(I apologize for the bad joke which I am sure is not original) View attachment 407514
Hey Ho! A new to R/L owner here- with a congratulations on buying this machine. This is the color I wanted to find, but could not, in a 02nd hand R/L/{mines a 2018]. I have had mine LESS than a month- and it is the BEST truck I have ever owned. So, welcome to the Forum, look around, read up on this grand machine, post a thing or two now and then, and otherwise Enjoy the Ridgeline Experience!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update on one week ownership. I cant stop buying stuff for it. So far Ive upgraded the fogs to PIAA LEDs in solar yellow and today my PIAA LED high beam replacement bulbs are coming in. My OCD will not allow me to have LED headlights with halogen high beams and fogs.
Im also taking a chance on some LED backup replacement bulbs I found on Amazon. I leave for work early in the morning and need the light. We have a lot of stray cats here that dont cause any problems so I really dont want to run over one, I only kill what I eat or is trying to eat me.
Also the big purchase was the skidplate from Burtman. I like the vented design. After falling down a YouTube hole last night and seeing people pushing their Ridgelines a bit far and overheating the tranny I decided vented made more sense than the solid ones. Honda probably kept that open for a reason.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Ho! A new to R/L owner here- with a congratulations on buying this machine. This is the color I wanted to find, but could not, in a 02nd hand R/L/{mines a 2018]. I have had mine LESS than a month- and it is the BEST truck I have ever owned. So, welcome to the Forum, look around, read up on this grand machine, post a thing or two now and then, and otherwise Enjoy the Ridgeline Experience!!
I was looking to buy new and every dealer around here had three color choices; black, white, or silver. I forgot this dealer even existed and they had this scarlet one marked down because it had been on the lot too long. Perhaps the dealers only stock those colors because they are the only ones that sell around me? Anyways Im so tired of seeing the same three colors on every vehicle on the road. I miss the 70s era garish colors all over. God bless Dodge for at least offering a more diverse palette of colors to decorate our roads.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
can you post a link to the vented skip plate? Does it really help to keep the Transmission cooler?
Here. Burtman Industries
I do not know for a fact that it would keep the tranny cooler because I just ordered it today but logically it seems that it would be cooler than a solid skid plate. I figure that Honda would have at least covered it with a plastic panel for aero as many manufacturers do if it didn't need the airflow.
If it wasn't for the potential overheating issue I would go with a solid one.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
55 Posts
(I apologize for the bad joke which I am sure is not original) View attachment 407514
Congrats on the new ride, and welcome to the forum! I have the same truck, and have really enjoyed the Deep Scarlett paint. I’ve had several positive comments on the color, and it is really nice looking in bright sunshine.

I hope you find your truck as enjoyable to own as I do mine.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I was looking to buy new and every dealer around here had three color choices; black, white, or silver. I forgot this dealer even existed and they had this scarlet one marked down because it had been on the lot too long. Perhaps the dealers only stock those colors because they are the only ones that sell around me? Anyways Im so tired of seeing the same three colors on every vehicle on the road. I miss the 70s era garish colors all over. God bless Dodge for at least offering a more diverse palette of colors to decorate our roads.
Hey Ho! My you are YOUNG! I miss the two tone Chevys with the two tone plastic seats! Other wise, most auto colors seem to be inspired by insipidity

·
Registered
85 Posts
Update on one week ownership. I cant stop buying stuff for it. So far Ive upgraded the fogs to PIAA LEDs in solar yellow and today my PIAA LED high beam replacement bulbs are coming in. My OCD will not allow me to have LED headlights with halogen high beams and fogs.
Im also taking a chance on some LED backup replacement bulbs I found on Amazon. I leave for work early in the morning and need the light. We have a lot of stray cats here that dont cause any problems so I really dont want to run over one, I only kill what I eat or is trying to eat me.
Also the big purchase was the skidplate from Burtman. I like the vented design. After falling down a YouTube hole last night and seeing people pushing their Ridgelines a bit far and overheating the tranny I decided vented made more sense than the solid ones. Honda probably kept that open for a reason.
"I can't stop buy stuff for it---" that seems to be a 'disease' common to R/L owners, from what I can read of here. I KNOW I have the 'disease', one of these, 04 of these, this would look good-- and on and on. Please let me/the other readers/ know how the new lighting works out. That is something I am thinking of; when warm weather returns, to change some Edison Bulbs for something of 2020 tech standards.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pics of new PIAA LED fog and high beams I installed today.

This one shows the massive difference between the halogen and the LED high beams.

Now that the high beams are as white or whiter than the low beams my OCD has been satisfied. These are the bulbs I used.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075FZXC9F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just test drove them. They are so bright that white street signs almost blind me. The OEM halogens were pathetic. These may be too much.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Almost forgot about the fogs. These are the ones I used. I just like yellow fog lights in inclement weather. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NFAIFY0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And at night.

These are definitely brighter than stock but don‘t produce the glare of white LEDs. Up close these overpower the headlights. Good beam spread too.
Both of these lights were plug and play for the Ridgeline despite Amazon saying they wouldn’t fit.
The fog lights being as deep as they were were a little finicky to get in the hole. You actually have to go past the hole from the bottom with the bulb in a vertical position then angle it into the hole from above.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've never had LED's but I thought a downfall of them was they do not get hot enough to melt snow.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've never had LED's but I thought a downfall of them was they do not get hot enough to melt snow.
That can be a problem but if the lights are flush fit and aerodynamic the snow and ice will not stick for long. Eventually it just slides off. A coat of wax or Rain-X helps.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Almost forgot about the fogs. These are the ones I used. I just like yellow fog lights in inclement weather. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NFAIFY0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
View attachment 407537
And at night. View attachment 407538
These are definitely brighter than stock but don‘t produce the glare of white LEDs. Up close these overpower the headlights. Good beam spread too.
Both of these lights were plug and play for the Ridgeline despite Amazon saying they wouldn’t fit.
The fog lights being as deep as they were were a little finicky to get in the hole. You actually have to go past the hole from the bottom with the bulb in a vertical position then angle it into the hole from above.
Thank you,this is a change I will do come the summer next. I like the description of how to put in the lights; it makes me LONG for the days of 'two Phillips screws, out, off the lens, change bulb, put on lens and screws" Now you have to take just half the inside fender off. But its better than my neighbor with her Caddy truck. To change ONE headlight {at over 100$ for the bulb! the entire front 'pieces' have to come off! You cannot reach the bulbs from behind. She was out $250.00 for one changed light bulb. One more reason she wants to dump it and get a R/L!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts