Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna pickup my 7th family owned Honda next week. This will be my first adventure into the J series motor. 2007 ridgeline RTX with 141k on her, unfortunately the dealership nor the car fax showed any type of maintenance other then oil changes. So knowing Honda's my first job to tackle is valve adjustment and all the fixings that come with timing belt. Now down to my question on the timing belt service, how much of that should be oem? Ive gotten mixed answers from my mechanic friends with the water to the pulleys being oem vs aftermarket. Thanks in advance for any personally used recommendations. And I'll post pictures after we take delivery...

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,263 Posts
How about you update your profile so we know where in North America you are. Pricing and service recommendations would be a whole lot easier.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
All depends on how much you wanna spend. It has been discussed plenty of times here. But you can find aisin kits on amazon/ebay for cheap.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All depends on how much you wanna spend. It has been discussed plenty of times here. But you can find aisin kits on amazon/ebay for cheap.
I usually always use oem in most cases but for example Moog IMO makes a better ball joint then oem. I was more looking to see that set aftermarket product performs better then oem. Guess I'll need to get off my lazy butt and search the forum...

·
Super Moderator
7,263 Posts
Bross,

I haven't heard of any deals or remember any pricing in Texas for the Timing Belt Job. There are several threads on the job, both those that have tackled it themselves and getting the job done at various shops or stealerships. I paid just over $900 Timing Belt and some additional seals, coolant and so on it's on here somewhere. I'll add a link when I get it found. Anderson Honda in Baltimore does the job for just under $500. In other parts of the country it's been done for $700-$800.

Use the search in the "Blue Bar" it seems to find things easier.

Seriously consider replacing the Radiator at the same time. All the following threads are on Transmission/Radiator issues.

Happy Reading & Good luck

Radiator Failure @ Cooler Lines

Best Radiator Replacement

Pictures of Corroded/Rusted Radiator Fittings

Radiator Fail on 2006

UOA on ATF

Anatomy of OEM Denso Radiator

Poll(Never Posted) on Radiator/Trans Cooler Solution

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bross,

I haven't heard of any deals or remember any pricing in Texas for the Timing Belt Job. There are several threads on the job, both those that have tackled it themselves and getting the job done at various shops or stealerships. I paid just over $900 Timing Belt and some additional seals, coolant and so on it's on here somewhere. I'll add a link when I get it found. Anderson Honda in Baltimore does the job for just under $500. In other parts of the country it's been done for $700-$800.

Use the search in the "Blue Bar" it seems to find things easier.

Seriously consider replacing the Radiator at the same time. All the following threads are on Transmission/Radiator issues.
Happy Reading & Good luck

Radiator Failure @ Cooler Lines

Best Radiator Replacement

Pictures of Corroded/Rusted Radiator Fittings

Radiator Fail on 2006

UOA on ATF

Anatomy of OEM Denso Radiator

Poll(Never Posted) on Radiator/Trans Cooler Solution
Thanks carsmak!!! Awesome response, im lucky enough not to need a mechanic shop nor the stealer ship. I've been wrenching on Honda's for over 10 years. I keep seeing threads popup on radiator replacements I'll need to seriously look into that sounds prolomatic.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks carsmak!!! Awesome response, I'm lucky enough not to need a mechanic nor the dealership. Been wrenching on Honda's for over 10 years, the radiator/cooling line I was unaware of thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Carsmak holly crap that's an eye opener! Yeah why even chance it with the radaitor, in your opinion is spectra a good options?

·
Super Moderator
7,263 Posts
Several have installed the the Spectra, to me if you can buy it locally, AutoZone sells them, and can verify the shipping has not damaged it too much, that would be acceptable IMHO.

Others have installed KOYO, and felt it was of better quality, some even returned there Spectra & bought the KOYO, so they compared them back to back.

I replaced my Spectra (2nd one, first returned due to piss poor packaging by Spectra & Amazon) with a CSF, bought it locally, and saw it pressure tested in front of me. The local shop I got it from, offered a 3yr full replacement. He only asked I keep the receipt & the one for the purchase of my coolant, what ever type I bought.

Recently, members have also installed a PBI and an OSC discussed here with photos shown here. It may take some time but if you read all those threads you'll see a few other Rads have been used, varied in price from a low of like $75 on eBay with a lifetime warranty to about $200.

I'll add this, when you have the Rad out check the torque of the front 3 spark plugs, and maybe inspect your upper front A/F Sensor(O2). Access is super easy with the Rad out, spark plug torque is 13#, and if the front are loose(have oil on them) I'd then check the rear 3. Many threads on #4 and/or #5 lets loose and causes all kinds of havoc

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,591 Posts
I think the indie shop I used put a Gates kit on my Pilot. I'd have no issue using the Aisin kit from Amazon. Good pricing too.

Good info above. I personally think the Spectra is near the bottom of the list of my choices based on what I've read here. The OSC video is compelling. I think the indie shop used a CSF radiator on the Pilot but don't recall for sure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After reading up on many radiator threads it seems to me that OSC is the way to go. However, however I'm SO temped to just throw in a mishimoto radiator and Bypass the heat exchange to a B&M tranny cooler. With the average temp here in south Texas being a million degrees I should be alright.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts