Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greeting all, I am trying to see if any of my initial impressions are shared and any solutions.
I have my RTL for three weeks and some quick personal reviews:
-Handling....Excellent
-Exterior quality.....Excellent
-Braking......Phenomenal
-Radio.....Great sound
-Looks........Only a blind mother can like
-Wiper blades....Stopped 4 inches short of the windshield edge on the drivers side. Very annoying especially because we had our first snowfall and the slush accumulated there. Took out the socket wrench, unbolted the arm and re-attached further up the rest. It is now visible above the hood but minor detail. I noticed the arc on the passengers side really could have been larger also. It is as if they took the whole wiper assembly off a smaller vehicle and dropped it in the Ridgeline.
-Gas mileage....very disappointing 16 mpg on mostly highway. This is especially troubling because the engine races up to 4000 rpm for even a moderate acceleration off a light and tops 5000 rpm for hard passing. This has to adversely affect engine wear and we are not even getting good gas mileage for it. Is this a brand new engine design or is it found in the Pilot etc??
-Interior storage....Weak. Don't try to put six CD cases in the rectangular slot under the radio. I needed tweezers to pry them out! Would it also have been too difficult for Honda to place a friction fit waste basket in the useless area between the seats on the mat they have?
-Left foot rest.... The worst, most poorly designed feature I have ever had in any car I owned (and I had many Fords!). There is very inadequate left foot room to start with and in their great wisdom they put a plastic brick to make it worse. Since the right foot is extended more that the left when accelerating or breaking, and the knees are at different heights, the hip is ALLWAYS rotated and and after long trips I walk funny. To me this really is unbearable. I removed the footrest today and took a short ride which was more comfortable. The real problem is the wheel is intruding into the left foot area and makes it go bow-legged. Honda should have adjustable foot peddles standard.
-Options.......Poor. A truck that does not come with roof racks?? No rear vent fan controls. NO LOCKING TAILGATE, (I know the trunk locks). Three pages of instructions to install the "pre-wired" hitch harness. No elbow rest when the windows are closed (rounded hard plastic).
-Cargo liner....Scratched when removing a case of bottled water!!!
-driver mirror....warped, the image distorts unevenly when moving head position

For a brand new vehicle introduction the list of innovative items is two (trunk and tailgate) but the same-old are many (relatively ineffecient high revving engine and poor ergonomics). I also bought the base Armada SE with no options and it came with roof rack, rear backup sensors, armrests and electronic foot pedal adjustments.... all standard!

I don't mean this to sound as a bash but I drive over 20,000 miles a year and trying to fit my left foot with work boots on in that tiny area is my biggest annoyance.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Welcome to ROC. As you drive your RL you'll love it more and more, and some of the items you listed will become mute points or you'll find answers to them while browsing this site.
Look around and learn.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I'll address a couple issues.

1. Good solution for the wipers you did but now they will no longer rest on the heated part of the windshield which self activates when it freezes. Not sure if that's a big deal for you or not but thought I'd mention it.

2. Use premium fuel to get up to 10 more HP and more torque in the higher rpm range.

3. The foot rest can be removed. Pop it's plastic cover and you'll see some bolts to remove.

4. You can get a manual or electric tailgate lock for pretty cheap built specially for the Ridge from this site:
http://basickoncepts.com/catalog/

5. The bed scuffs rather than scratches but a quick fix is to rub just a little used or new motor oil on the area and it's back to black.

6. I bet the dealer will replace your driver mirror if it's obviously warped, mine is nice and flat with no distortions.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a short list of gripes too....but the +++ far outweigh it's short comings. I passed up a (used) Lexus RX 330 for the RL...I think we made an excellent choice. I wish the RL had...
-Drivers side visor mirror
-Memory for the drivers seat
-adjustable peddles
-the steering weal doesn’t adjust very far
-no light under the hood when you lift it
-you can’t leave the headlights all the time without an annoying beep…

But I love the RL more than the few shortcomings

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info Vertkr, interesting site for add-ons. The pros still outweighs the negatives and I know some of it is just a matter of getting used to but the leg room is very annoying. I have to try the oil on the scratches tomorrow.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Left foot rest: Totally agree with you, and since it is now wintertime, the wearing of boots has only made it worse. Don't like driving with rotated hips either. I also find my left knee now hits the armrest, which goes down away from the driver!

Driver's Mirror: Mine too has a very annoying distortion, thought it was one of those "objects are closer than they appear" types, but now it might be worth seeing the dealer about. Glad it isn't only me.

---------

My own two personal gripes:

The steering wheel has the three large mounting areas and the back side is almost even with the rim. All other vehicles I've driven there is still a good size area for one to grab even in the mounting area. Also, with the location of the two upper mounts, my hands end up at 10am and 2pm completely blocking the tach, temp gauge, and gas gauge.

LCD displays of the radio and HVAC: no contrast to speak of and very small characters. Have to take my eyes off the road to figure out how to change modes on the HVAC. Gave up trying to read the HVAC controls at night.

So far this vehicle is a love/hate when it comes to features and ergonomics. But, who else makes an AWD truck with a lot of headroom and so many storeage areas?

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
striper said:
-Interior storage....Weak. Don't try to put six CD cases in the rectangular slot under the radio. I needed tweezers to pry them out! Would it also have been too difficult for Honda to place a friction fit waste basket in the useless area between the seats on the mat they have?
You might want to poke around your Ridgeline some more. There's tons of storage. Did you realize the center console slides forward revealing room for many CDs inside the center console? Did you also realize this space is lighted when your lights are on?

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
striper said:
-Options.......Poor. A truck that does not come with roof racks?? No rear vent fan controls. NO LOCKING TAILGATE, (I know the trunk locks). Three pages of instructions to install the "pre-wired" hitch harness. No elbow rest when the windows are closed (rounded hard plastic).
There is an optional roof rack. I, personally, am glad it's optional because I don't want the roof rack. Why do you need it on a truck anyway? Plenty of room in the bed and trunk. Regardless, buy the roof rack if you want it.

I rest my elbow by the window, but the true elbow rest is the door handle. I'm tall enough that it's more comfortable to rest at the base of the window though.

-Gas mileage....very disappointing 16 mpg on mostly highway. This is especially troubling because the engine races up to 4000 rpm for even a moderate acceleration off a light and tops 5000 rpm for hard passing. This has to adversely affect engine wear and we are not even getting good gas mileage for it. Is this a brand new engine design or is it found in the Pilot etc??
There are tons of threads on this already. Racing your engine to 4000 RPMs is going to suck the gas down. I get around 18 on my daily commute (29 miles each way) mixed with some in town driving. You will probably see some improvement as you get more miles on your RL. I got 15 on the 1st two tanks, then it went up.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Welcome to the ROC, Striper! I hope you enjoy your Ridge!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
swampler said:
There is an optional roof rack. I, personally, am glad it's optional because I don't want the roof rack. Why do you need it on a truck anyway?

I regularly use a roof rack for PVC and metal pipes, wood, ladder, fishing poles, windsurfer and kayak. I had the racks installed but for MSRP $31,000 you feel cheated.

Again I think the ride and handling is superb, and on the whole I am happy but it just amazes me how an engineer could be sitting in a mock-up of the truck and say "I have a great idea, lets put a plastic brick in front of the intruding wheel well in the drivers side". All the other vehicles that I have been in have a gradual incline deep on the left side as opposed to a step. Now if the Ridge had some real beefy tires that needed the extra space in the wheel well I could live with it but instead I will be driving around with three carpet holes where the rest was.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Perhaps a different truck...don't want you feeling cheated, striper.:rolleyes: Prolly not too late for a refund.

·
Registered
534 Posts
-Looks........Only a blind mother can like

Have to disagree with that! I like how it looks, personally.:rolleyes:

I have adequate acceleration at about 2500 rpm, better 3000, and if I really floor it, hit about 4500 accelerating hard. Not sure why it'd be so different.

I was amazed by all the storage in door pockets, glove box and centre console (all CD's there). I also keep plastic totes under the rear seat for all kinds of stuff.

-Left foot rest....

There's a foot rest? I have never used it! :) You must be taller than me.

Its a truck; who cares? As long as it doesn't rust!

-driver mirror....warped, the image distorts unevenly when moving head position

I would think the dealer could fix that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
arteegee said:
Perhaps a different truck...don't want you feeling cheated, striper.:rolleyes: Prolly not too late for a refund.
Since this was my first post I truly did not want it to sound abrasive....and am sorry if it did. I already have received some very useful info.
ALL vehicles are manufactured to balance cost of materials, depth of testing/design versus final price. I think a little more thought should have gone into the interior driving layout which can be easily rectified in future models, (also known as constructive criticism). If on the other hand arteegee you just want to sing the praises of the most perfect creation in 2,000 years, we can get together, sit on our yoga mats holding hands and I will brew you some chamomille tea.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I neglected to welcome you to the ROC on my 1st post, so welcome to the ROC. I think you'll find most people here friendly.

striper said:
Since this was my first post I truly did not want it to sound abrasive....and am sorry if it did. I already have received some very useful info.
ALL vehicles are manufactured to balance cost of materials, depth of testing/design versus final price. I think a little more thought should have gone into the interior driving layout which can be easily rectified in future models, (also known as constructive criticism). If on the other hand arteegee you just want to sing the praises of the most perfect creation in 2,000 years, we can get together, sit on our yoga mats holding hands and I will brew you some chamomille tea.
I think he was kidding, hence the smiley.

I see why you would need the roof rack, I'm still glad they didn't come on mine...that's what I didn't like about the Frontier (and the ride, lack of trunk, etc.).

What about the storage options I mentioned? Had you already found those? Did they solve your space problem for your CDs?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Its a truck; who cares? As long as it doesn't rust!

Good point, its only three weeks old so that is why I even mentioned it. I usually carry a stack of backup CD's in the truck and there are definetaly many places to put them....just as long it is not under the radio.

I did not pay MSRP, but I actually forgot the number because there was a Ford trade-in. The warped mirror seems fixable but I forgot to mention the creaking steering wheel so I am waiting to see if it goes away.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
striper said:
I forgot to mention the creaking steering wheel so I am waiting to see if it goes away.
There's a TSB for the creaky steering wheel. It involves adding felt under the trim pieces on the steering wheel and replacing a couple of torx screws. See your dealer and they'll get you fixed right up.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
striper said:
I sing the praises that I got my lava lamp replaced and running boards reversed and needed nothing else addressed after 7 months and 6k miles. ;)Oh, and that last tank got 18.5MPG.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts