Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just purchased a beautiful Cherry Pearl 2013 RTS with only 6k miles. I spent hours on this forum before purchasing the truck. This forum is wonderful and rich with Ridgeline information.

I really like the truck but I believe I am having an issue with the heating system. After the truck warms up, for the first 30 minutes of my drive, I cannot fully control the heat. It blasts out full high temperature heat whether in auto or manual mode. Turning the temperature knobs does not vary the temperature of the air.

If I change the temp from 85 to 58 degrees, it delivers the same full high temp heat from the selected vents. Only when I change it to the LO setting does it begin to blow very cold (outside) air . I can vary the fan settings and vent(s) direction/output but have no control over the air temp/heat. Then only after driving for 22 to 30 minutes, does something change where I can then control the heat temp with the driver and passenger temp knobs.

I took it to my local dealer and was told that this is "normal operations for a 2013". They ran the basic diagnostics. There were no error codes logged.

I find it very difficult to believe that this is normal operations for a heating system. This is ridiculous to even ask but I would like to ask other late model owners how their heating system works during the first 30 minutes of your drive?

After your truck has warmed up in the first 5 to 10 minutes, are you able to vary the air temperature by varying the temperature control knobs?

I will take this thread and your responses to my dealer and let you know what happens next.

Thank you for your time and comments.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am a new 2014 RTL owner (purchased on Dec 22nd) and I have been considering taking mine by the dealer to have it checked out for the same reasons...

1. When the heat is running the fan noise is obnoxious, can drown it out with the stereo but if I turn the stereo off the noise is definitely annoying. Just doesn't seem right for a brand new vehicle.

2. I have experienced the same thing that you describe, no matter how I set my temp I get a constant flow of hot air through the vents for a period of time (unless I set the temp on Lo).

Regarding #2 I have thus far chalked it up to not knowing enough about my new truck to know what I am doing wrong with the ac/heat settings but I am happy to hear that I am not the only one... Hoping we can get educated by some more experienced owners here but if not I plan to take mine to the dealership too, something just doesn't seem right...

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,579 Posts
The way my climate control system works in my 2008 RTS is this: I start the truck, then hit the auto button. My temp is typically set to 72*F. If it's cold outside, the fans and heat won't begin to run until the coolant temp gets over 100*F... maybe around 125*F. I'll have to check that number next time I crank up and turn on the heat (and have my Torque app running so I can see the OBD2 coolant temp).

The fan will ramp up to a high setting (I don't know if it's max fan or not), but after the temp in the cabin reaches the set temp, the fan slows down to a normal (low) setting. Of course, if it's really cold outside and the heater has to work hard to maintain the set temp, the fan will have to run faster.

Without knowing your particular environment, your system may be functioning normally. Or not. Regardless, you should still be under the 3/36k bumper-to-bumper warranty.

If you still think your HVAC system is not functioning properly, ask the dealer to take a new vehicle out and test how that HVAC system works. That should prove the point one way or the other. Hopefully. ;)

Keep us advised what you find please.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
airmaui said:
After your truck has warmed up in the first 5 to 10 minutes, are you able to vary the air temperature by varying the temperature control knobs?
Yes

In all our RLs we simply adjust both sides to a set temperature value, press Auto. If desired, may also press Recirculate to enable or disable outside air which does turn Off the Auto but does maintain the set value degrees.

·
Administrator
16,036 Posts
In all three of my Ridgeline's - '07, '10, and '14, the system works like any other typical automatic climate control system. After the initial blower delay while the coolant heats up (here in Texas, this is about 1 minute), the blend door moves to the "full heat" position and the fan speed is high. As the cabin temperature approaches set point, the fan speed slows down proportional to the difference between the set point and cabin temperatures. Once set point is reached, the blend door begins modulating the outlet air temperature to maintain set point.

It may be worth nothing that it is basically useless to use a thermometer to measure the cabin temperature to see how close it is to actual set point. First, most thermometers have too much lag. Second, the set point temperatures on automatic climate control systems are often relative and can sometimes be programmed to be closer to "feels like" temperatures than actual temperature readings.

Some members (including myself) have complained that the Ridgeline's automatic climate control system is a bit too aggressive in heating the cabin and overshoots the set point by a significant margin. However, the system should reach homeostasis within 5-10°F around the set point temperature after 30-60 minutes depending on ambient conditions assuming all the doors and windows remain closed and the system is left on "full" AUTO.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,803 Posts
With the below freezing temps we are having here in PA lastely this can be expected. The system is trying to go from 20deg to 70deg in a flash. I think as the OAT warms up you will find the system may not seem as aggressive. I usually just hit the down arrow to reduce the fan and noise a little, and accept it will take longer to warm up.
Maybe you need to have a remote start installed so it can be warn when you go out to drive?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought my 2014 SE in last October and have not yet experienced what is described here. I have been doing the same thing as speedlever does; that is, start the truck and then hit the Auto button. The temperature kicks in nicely with a very quiet blowing noise that I hardly notice.

I hope this helps in comparison.

·
Registered
172 Posts
could it be that the internal cabin temperature sensor is faulty therefore the system always thinks the internal temperature is cold..

·
Super Moderator
22,579 Posts
I checked this morning when I cranked my cold RL up (in the garage.. ambient temps probably in the mid 40's to maybe 50*F. Outside air temp in the 'teens.

I noted that some air started to flow as the temp went through 113*F... and increased noticeably when the temp went through 132*F... and topped out when the temp went through 140*F. But the max fan speed was not engaged and by cranking up the heat, I could get the fan speed to max. Conversely, by turning the temp down to 58*F, the temp would noticeably cool off coming out of the vents.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Interesting, thanks for all of the feedback. So on my way home from work today I had my unit completely turned off and yet I had a steady flow of warm air coming through the vents for the first 15/20 minutes of the ride home. Is this normal too?

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,803 Posts
Interesting, thanks for all of the feedback. So on my way home from work today I had my unit completely turned off and yet I had a steady flow of warm air coming through the vents for the first 15/20 minutes of the ride home. Is this normal too?
I would say not.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
I'm not sure how things work in other models but in my '06, yes, air will come out of the vents if you turn everything off and you are driving down the road. The only way I have found out to completely stop the flow of air into the cabin via the vents is to hit the switch that circulates the air inside the cabin, instead of letting the outside air in.

I'm not sure what that button is called...the recirculate button...or something like that...? Or if it is the same on later models...but, if memory serves, it is the button right next to the "OFF" button.

·
Super Moderator
22,579 Posts
Even with the HVAC system off, air will circulate through the system. Now I'm thinking it will be ambient air temp. So if you live in Hawaii, it will probably be warm. If you live in North Dakota, it will probably be cold (this time of year).

Not knowing where you live and/or the weather conditions you drive in make it hard to second guess your situation.

Regardless, the system (in auto) should respond to temperature changes you make to the system, once the system begins blowing warm air (if you live in a cold part of the country). If you live in a warm environment, the AC should blow cold air pretty quickly once you start the engine and engage the HVAC system. You should be able to vary the temperature right away by running it hotter.

Again, go back to the dealer and try out a brand new vehicle and see if it duplicates your observations. If not, you have demonstrated that your system is not functioning properly.

Optionally, if a ROC member lives in your area, you might be able to connect and do some cross-vehicle comparisons and draw some conclusions.

·
Administrator
16,036 Posts
Yes. Most vehicles do this. The higher air pressure at the front of the vehicle that results when the vehicle is moving forces air into the outside air intake where it comes out of the vents.

Even when the climate control system is "off" (nothing on the display), it still modulates the blend doors in an attempt maintain the set point that was selected before it was turned off. In other words, "off" just means the blower and display have been turned off - the system is still reading ambient and outside and temperatures and making adjustments. There is no way to really turn it "completely" off aside from pulling fuses or smashing things with hammers. :)

·
Super Moderator
22,579 Posts
Good to know that the system will still regulate (to some degree) the incoming air based on the settings before the system was shut down. I didn't know that.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Good to know that the system will still regulate (to some degree) the incoming air based on the settings before the system was shut down. I didn't know that.
Yep, mine has done that since day 1

my 2013 rtl still blows air out the rt and left dash vents when the display arrow is showing floor only. IS this normal?
Yes, floor doesn't have enough volume (my guess) to allow vents on floor to handle volume of airflow.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts