Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just picked up a 2006 Ridgeline and I couldn't be happier. I still have quite a bit of stuff lying around from my F150 that I'm trying to determine what should go into the Ridgeline and what not. It has the factory 6-disc changer which my wife loves. I have all my music on USB drives which introduced the issue.

I have the aftermarket headunit from my F150 that has USB input, but if I want to keep the factory 6-disc in the Ridgeline, could I use this to read the music from my drives? Does anyone have any experience with these units? Do they work as expected? Does filename text appear on the factory HU? Etc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120930868183?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_3433wt_1396

Beyond that, I have an amp and sub and some Infinity component speakers I may want to install. I've always heard it's just not worth it and that it will damage higher-end speakers to be wired up with a low RMS powersource (like that from a Honda factory headunit.) Any thoughts on this?

Am I just wasting my time trying to make the factory HU work? I really like its integration with the steering wheel and look of the truck's interior.

Thank in advance. Really happy to be a part of this community.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Aftermarket USB/MP3 adapters often mimic the behavior of a CD changer.

That device you linked comes from Hong Kong and I have nearly zero confidence that it will not be a royal PITA. It does not say how it interfaces with the factory headunit. The factory HU does not have a simple AUX input (RCA connectors). It does have a connector for the crappy Honda MP3 disc accessory player.

If you want to retain the factory HU, I strongly suggest you look at devices from proven companies like USA Spec, Grom Audio, or iSimple.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. And thanks for pointing me in the right direction. It looks like the GROM-USB2 will not only add USB to my factory gear, but also BT. Thanks again.

·
Registered
79 Posts
IF I read it correctly, it looks like you lose either SAT or CD Changer function(DISC) once this is installed (GROM USB).Can anyone verify this or is there anyone that has one?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have also recently been looking for an auxiliary in and USB adapter for my 07 RL and have heard of the same brands that hofffam had mentioned. I intend to wire it through and allow access inside the center console.

I am curious if anyone has heard of YATOUR which has aux in, USB and SD?

c0r3y, just curious how your installation went and how the GROM product is working out for your.

can anyone verify the question that DAMOFO asked?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I tried the GROM BT unit and just the aux unit and both didnt work, They blamed it on the trucks grounding system or something. I got the USA SPEC and it is awesome, I just got the new BT hook up and cant wait to plug it in!!!

I say go with USA spec....and you can still use the cd changer, it takes place of your xm unit not the changer

·
Registered
9 Posts
Which units did you get from USA SPEC? BT35-HON? PA15-HON2?
What about the BT hookup?
Will you be able to use a USB flash drive instead of an IPOD?
I also have a 2006 and don't want to replace the entire head unit if I don't have to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok, I just watched a video on Youtube describing the BT35-HON. Now I know what the BT stands for in BT35...lol
This might be all I need.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
HAHA yea...I got my bt35 a few days ago but unfortunately i think my module is bad because they audio quality is like a cassette tape. so i called them and they told me to call who i got it from to get a replacement module. So hopefully it wont take to long. I absolutely love how it operates so I really hope a new module fixes the audio problem. So maybe hold on ordering one until I report back lol

I had/have the PA15-HON2. It works great with the ipod and the auxillary cord if you don't have ipod. I just didn't want a cord hanging around anymore. Might have one for sale cheap here shortly hopefully.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Well the BT-35 is a no go....maybe my phone IDK. Going to wait for awhile until all the bugs have been worked out I guess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts