Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please excuse me if I did not post this correctly, I am new to this.

I have a dilemma and hope you guys can lend your advice?

When I purchased my ridgeline, unbeknownst to me, there were defects in the paint. I guess I should have purchased the vehicle in the daytime, but did not think about paint defects. There are little specks of dirt or something in various spots on the vehicle. The dealer said that they could get them repaired by sending it to a local paint/body shop. The paint shop tried to color-sand them out, but that just took off the top layer and made them more noticeable. So instead of Billet Silver bumps in my paint I now have dark, almost black, tiny dots. The dealership called in the district manager to take a look at it and he said in order to fix it properly, the outside whole vehicle would need to be repainted. I was told that if I want to forgo the repainting they might be able to give me some accessories to appease me. I was also told that even if the vehicle was repainted it might have the same problems or it even could come out worse since they would be using an independent paint/body shop. In addition, they told me that the sanded areas were not down to the metal and that it would not corrode in its current state. I told him I would need to think about it.

Being anal, it is tough for me not to get it fixed properly but on the other hand, the possibility of getting some accessories out this might be better. Unfortunately, they have not given me a dollar amount on the accessories I could get, but a new paint job would cost anywhere from $4k - $6k (according to the paint/body shop) not including the cost of a rental car they would have to provide for approximately 3 weeks.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Should I get a new paint job or get some accessories?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Let me ask this....

How do you use your truck?.. If you use it as a work truck and/or an outdoors truck, then it's a no-brainer. Get the accessories, as your paint will get dinged up anyway soon enough.

If however, you like a pristine ride, and the thought of gravel bouncing off your truck and around the bed gives you night-terrors, then get the repainting done.

Also, find out just what they are offering in accessories. They might want to cheap-out, so it may be better to get the repainting. Be ready with a counter-offer of what accessories that YOU want.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If it were me, I would get it painted. If it came back looking bad, them I would holler and make them paint it again until it was right. This truck cost too much to have a bad paint job from the factory. If you get accessories instead, every time you see that bad paint you will probably regret it.

In the end, YOU have to drive the truck and live with whatever decision you make. Think it through and I'm confident you will make the right choice. ;)

·
Registered
265 Posts
DLRidgeline said:
Please excuse me if I did not post this correctly, I am new to this.

I have a dilemma and hope you guys can lend your advice?

When I purchased my ridgeline, unbeknownst to me, there were defects in the paint. I guess I should have purchased the vehicle in the daytime, but did not think about paint defects. There are little specks of dirt or something in various spots on the vehicle. The dealer said that they could get them repaired by sending it to a local paint/body shop. The paint shop tried to color-sand them out, but that just took off the top layer and made them more noticeable. So instead of Billet Silver bumps in my paint I now have dark, almost black, tiny dots. The dealership called in the district manager to take a look at it and he said in order to fix it properly, the outside whole vehicle would need to be repainted. I was told that if I want to forgo the repainting they might be able to give me some accessories to appease me. I was also told that even if the vehicle was repainted it might have the same problems or it even could come out worse since they would be using an independent paint/body shop. In addition, they told me that the sanded areas were not down to the metal and that it would not corrode in its current state. I told him I would need to think about it.

Being anal, it is tough for me not to get it fixed properly but on the other hand, the possibility of getting some accessories out this might be better. Unfortunately, they have not given me a dollar amount on the accessories I could get, but a new paint job would cost anywhere from $4k - $6k (according to the paint/body shop) not including the cost of a rental car they would have to provide for approximately 3 weeks.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Should I get a new paint job or get some accessories?
Dude, get the truck painted. You know that whatever acc. they offer you will not be worth it. The cost of most accessories are inflated grossly, even at wholesale or H and A. Add in the $85 plus an hour they will charge for installation, and you'll end up getting the short end of the stick. Also, think about your resale value. I don't know if you are leasing, financing or what, but if your truck looks like crap, it will never sell off a used car lot. Bottom Line : The trucks' finish is under warranty, and they have acknowledged that your paint is defective, MAKE THEM FIX IT. If it looks like crap again, make them fix it again....................

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'd push real hard for paint. Apperance is everything when it comes to resale (why do you think dealers detail most used cars and do silly things like spray paint engine compartments?). Plus, a flawed paint job will drive you crazy because you'll have to look at it every day. And, getting a bunch of accessories now is going to certainly thin down that Christmas wish list! :)

·
Registered
964 Posts
Easy answer here. Get it painted. It is a new truck and should have a new finish. Sounds like they botched up the "repair" and now just are trying to get you out of their hair. Besides, the paint job is important to keep the body from rusting and for resale.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Do they make you sign something waiving your right to a paint job if you take the accessories? You could take the accessories, then go to another Honda dealer and have them do the warranty paint job. Not that I would recommend that.

Seriously, I would have them paint it.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I have to agree with the majority ---get a paint job to your satisfaction---or invoke the Lemon Law---if you know a lawyer, get him involve before you bring it up with dealer, then come out swinging.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
I've got to agree fully with Tex. I've been putting mine off as well for the same reason.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Not only would I make them paint it, but I would walk in and say to them "So it is your general rule that you offer people accessories to make them go away, perhaps I should make you fix the paint job, and walk away anyway. You would think you would offer accessories or something to me for the inconvenience of losing my truck for 3 weeks while you correct my paint job, and don't even bother trying to pass it off on me if it isn't perfect."

Telling you it may not be any better, they already took the first step and messed it up completely, now it had better come back at no less than what you originally had it at, and then they should be offering you extras, but now it is too late, get it painted.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Get it painted! That's what I'm doing. I have similiar problems with my paint. Honda rep saw it at my local dealer and told them to repaint my truck.

Like someone else just said There are no accessories worth a bad paint job.

Make them repaint. If you don't like the way it turns out have em paint it again.

Mark

·
Registered
205 Posts
Get it painted, for sure! No ifs/ands or buts.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Take Both.

The paint job obviously needs to be made right. For your time and trouble, the accessories will be a nice treat when you pick up your newly painted car.

How dare they try to bribe you. How dare they want to have an inferior paint job out on the road tarnishing the Honda name. If this dealership doesn't give you what you want talk to Honda in Torrance, your local BBB and your state's attorney general; all while invoking the lemon law.

Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
As a former auto refinisher, I would look for the possibility of something other than a complete refinish of the truck. Is it possible that they could paint select panels or do several spot repairs? Are the defects only on metal parts, or are flexible body parts also affected?

The reason I would try to avoid painting the entire vehicle is that while the visual quality of the paint job may be high, the integrity of the new paint job will likely never be as good as the factory finish. Without taking everything apart, it is almost impossible to achieve the same integrity. While the paint preparation is the most important, you can't get into every crack and crevice as well without dismantling the vehicle. There will be places where panels join, or trim around headlights that are masked off, that aren't prepared as well as the main body surface. These are areas where the paint won't adhere as well and will be future weak spots. They might not appear for a few years, but usually, with time, the day will come where you hit a weak spot with the high pressure spray at the car wash and the paint will start to peel.

Other downsides include paint failure like premature oxidation, crazing, lack of gloss. It sounds as if your dealer doesn't have much faith in this outside body shop, and perhaps that should be your biggest warning.

Consider checking with another dealer, perhaps one with their own paint shop, or look for other outside shops and check the quality of their work.

One last crazy idea - if you decide to repaint the vehicle, how about going black? It would work well over that silver primer and you would have a unique U.S. Ridgeline in black with the gray interior. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
DLRidgeline -- If you are as anal as I am about perfection, Get it painted and painted and painted until it mets your satisfaction.

Also, pick one of your favorite accessories and GET it for your down time and inconvenience.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Like Mr-J I too was an auto refinisher. At this point, from what you said about shiny silver dots becoming black ones means that you MUST have the truck painted and here's why. Base / Clear automotive finishes derive their color from the base coat and the shine AND protection from the clear. From what you described it sounds like the impurities in your paint job were in the primer and they were subsequently covered by both the base and clear coats. When the body shop sanded these, they had to completely cut through the clear, then the silver color, in order to expose the black "dirt." Now that this has occurred, there is a weak point in your paint that will certainly fail in time. Without the clear, those areas will be vulnerable to water, salt, and UV radiation. The result will be fading, chipping and rust from the areas where the black dots are now. Sorry for the long winded response, but I don't want to see you suffer for someone else's mistake.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts