Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'22 Black Edition had it a week. Here are some things to note so far:

-Wind noise on drivers side. Even at low speeds. Not good.
-Arm rest is too short. Way too short
-Engine cuts off at stop , very annoying.
-Brakes are stiff. much harder to press than my nissan
-Confusion about locking the tailgate and compartment in bed. The key will not turn to lock the compartment, the key only opens it. Does the compartment sense i have the fob and automatically not lock when i'm near it? How to lock the tailgate? FOB proximity keeps it unlocked?

·
Premium Member
2022 WBE
1,224 Posts
People complained for years that the brakes were too soft. Now they are too hard? I noticed they are a tad firmer on the 2022 than the 2017 without the ABS being engaged, but feels solid to me.

My remote locks & unlocks my tailgate the same as the doors. (This setting was supposed to come disabled from the factory, but mine did not). Check your vehicle settings to set it the way you prefer it.

·
Registered
2022 Ridgeline RTL-E
205 Posts
The only wind noise on mine is from the roof rack cross rails (I think). I slid them in different positions and it’s not a big deal to me now.

The drivers right arm rest adjusts. The left armrest is fine for me. I’m 5’ 10”.

The brakes cushiness/firmness on mine is fine by me. It’s smooth and responsive. Not sure how to understand the difference between your firm and my not so firm.

I like the engine off thing. Know a lot of people don’t and have put in that idle stopper disabler mod.

My tailgate and under trunk storage thing lock and unlock electronically just like all the doors.
Based on your profile picture, maybe you’re just crazy. :)

·
Registered
2,426 Posts

-Confusion about locking the tailgate and compartment in bed. The key will not turn to lock the compartment, the key only opens it. Does the compartment sense i have the fob and automatically not lock when i'm near it? How to lock the tailgate? FOB proximity keeps it unlocked?
Really?

Bill

·
Registered
21 Posts
Your salesperson was supposed to go over all these features when you picked it up. Honda has official videos that make it easy to understand & You Tube is loaded with videos that cover all the features that might not be terribly obvious in the huge owners manual, I've had mine about 3 months and am still learning things about my 2021 RL Sport.

·
Registered
35 Posts
People complained for years that the brakes were too soft. Now they are too hard? I noticed they are a tad firmer on the 2022 than the 2017 without the ABS being engaged, but feels solid to me.

My remote locks & unlocks my tailgate the same as the doors. (This setting was supposed to come disabled from the factory, but mine did not). Check your vehicle settings to set it the way you prefer it.
noticed the “soft brakes “ on ‘19 demo drive yesterday, glad their “harder” now.

·
Registered
79 Posts
New 22 BE owner. I'd rather have a big center armrest than the little chicken wings, but they are what they are. Brakes are good. No wind noise complaints.

My 4 gripes; the infotainment system sucks. No automatic brake hold. Power windows are very slow. Too many incandescent bulbs to replace on a 50k truck.

·
Registered
2022 Ridgeline RTL-E
205 Posts
Very much agree on the infotainment system (there are many threads on this topic including one’s started by me).
I have not noticed my power windows being abnormally slow.
Incandescent bulbs have not even crossed my mind or been an issue. I’ll have to rethink that one.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,734 Posts
You might try adding a little Shin Etsu grease to the window seals... that seems to help them run a little smoother. Good to put it on the door seals and weather-stripping, also.

The Ridgeline has an automatic "hill-hold" feature, although I'm not sure how strong it is, or if there are differences between the 6spd and 9spd wrt hill-hold. Just stop your truck on a slope while in gear, take your foot off the pedal and see if you roll backward...

·
Registered
5 Posts
For wind noise, first, double check your windows are rolled all the way up.

Also check the side panels and roof to make sure all the transportation tape/plastic covering was removed. When I drove mine home I noticed a loud wind noise/flapping. Pulled over and realized the white plastic "tape" that is used to protect the truck during transport was not removed from the roof or side panels (by the windows) and was flapping. Took it off and no issues.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Very much agree on the infotainment system (there are many threads on this topic including one’s started by me).
I have not noticed my power windows being abnormally slow.
Incandescent bulbs have not even crossed my mind or been an issue. I’ll have to rethink that one.
Mirror Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Automotive exterior Headlamp
Tire Grille Vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting

Man, the bright lights are literally night and day. The visor pic is more for "this is the difference". Backup lights make a big backup camera difference as well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
As far as the brake hold; going back to every Mercedes I've owned since 2012...you get to a stop sign or a light, you stop. You push the brake pedal a little extra and let go. The cluster display screen shows it's holding the brakes for you. You hit the gas to go. It also doubles as a handy launch control without left foot braking.

Even my wife's crap-box Kia K5 that we bought to be the kid runner for the next few years, has automatic brake holding like this, though it does it with a button to turn it on when you get in the car.

It's one of those things that sounds really petty, until you get used to driving with it. Then nothing else feels right.

·
Registered
2022 Ridgeline RTL-E
205 Posts
As far as the brake hold; going back to every Mercedes I've owned since 2012...you get to a stop sign or a light, you stop. You push the brake pedal a little extra and let go.
I also loved that feature in my other cars. (I miss my Mercedes…if MB could have given me what I wanted within 6 months i’d probably not have this new ridgeline).

·
Premium Member
2022 WBE
1,224 Posts
noticed the “soft brakes “ on ‘19 demo drive yesterday, glad their “harder” now.
I never had in issue with them, though many complained. They did what the were supposed to do, STOP the truck. If you ever hit the brakes while the ABS was engaged, you'd have ZERO complaints about the brakes on the 2011-20120 models, I assure you.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts

I have said it before where I simply do not understand why somebody would spend this much money purchasing a vehicle, obviously without doing a lick of research and apparently not even doing a test drive, and then hurry to get to an Internet forum just to complain about it? Have we been taken in by another troll?

Bill

·
Registered
'22 RTL-E HPD Package
46 Posts
I have said it before where I simply do not understand why somebody would spend this much money purchasing a vehicle, obviously without doing a lick of research and apparently not even doing a test drive, and then hurry to get to an Internet forum just to complain about it? Have we been taken in by another troll?

Bill
I had driven a 2017 2 years ago for about 5 mins around the dealership parking lot. Did not like the front and got a really good deal on a Nissan Frontier. Picked up my 2022 Ridgeline last Saturday and didn't test drive it. No need to. I knew it was excellent and I should have bought one back then already. Finally they fixed the front fascia. Love this thing.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The 22 is my third Ridgeline.

I've always kept a "utility homeowner" vehicle around as we're blessed with some extra garage space. Started out with an Element, which is one of the most practical, bulletproof vehicles Honda has ever built. Bought it with 230k, sold it with 250k some years later for the same $$$ I spent on it, and got out if it with new struts and new endlinks being the only things I had to do. I bought an 07 RTS, updated the electronics in it, drove it a few years, sold it for the same $$$ I spent on it. Never had a problem with it. Sold it to a friend who gave to his son, that drove it through high school with no issues. Bought an 09 RTL from Wisconsin and shipped it to Kentucky. I'll never buy a Honda from the north again. Rust everywhere. Well maintained, one owner truck, but every suspension component, bushing, arm, and the brakes were all done. Updated electronics, replaced lower control arms, bushings, ball joints, struts and did a fair amount of rust removal and coating. It was always comfortable, practical and dependable, and in the current market, I actually sold it for more than I paid for it 3 years ago.

As someone that buys and sells a car or two a year (fix up a roadster acquired cheap, sell for profit, repeat in spring) I was left stuck with a loaded MDX for the winter/utility vehicle after the wife was adamant about switching to a sedan to commute. I have nothing bad to say about the MDX. Best SUV in the industry. We don't really "need" a third row, so I started shopping the Santa Cruz, Maverick and Ridgeline. I think the RL is overpriced. I think Honda quality has taken a bit of a step back. It was a given the Ford would be a dice roll, but there weren't any in inventory anywhere and I wasn't ordering one. The Santa Cruz ranges from 25k to 44k with the equipment options. I was only interested in the maxed out limited model, knowing I can throw a piggyback air/fuel/boost controller on that 2.5T and have 400whp/400tq and no drivability issues, was the appeal. The warranty is attractive, but resale on the Korean brands is horrid, the quality has never been good, and they weren't willing to bargain on price at all.

Two days before new years, I went to the Honda 'stealership' that had a 94k 2019 BE and translated to caveman. "You give me black truck. I give you MDX. I pay taxes No other deal."
Which was received as "Well, we're about $5,000 apart." when the paperwork printed. My cars are paid off, I know the markets on them well, and I didn't have to make any move. The truck had been sitting since October, had been smoked in and had some scratch/denty stuff going on. I knocked $2k off their list price for the above items, informed them it looked like they'd need to pay me to trade, and walked.

They called back new years, and asked if I'd be interested in a new one. I looked it up (2022 BE). I went back to caveman. "You give me black truck. I give you MDX. I give you SLK55 Roadster, I pay taxes. No other deal." Which was received as "Well, we're about $7,000 apart." when the paperwork printed. I don't really want to sell the little roadster I'd redone that year, and didn't have to do anything. So I walked.

Dealership manager calls back an hour later "What if we...yadda yadda". I went back to caveman. The story changes to "Well, if I could get within $500, would you do it?" to which I replied in caveman "If you want to do this, you're not going to let $500 hold it up." (They're going to make money on two pristine, two owner, low mile, full documented mainenance, clean carfax, never smoked in, title in hand, fully detailed vehicles, one of which they'd have sold same day with the market.) It meant they came down below sticker on the RL, upped offers on both cars, turning a pretty good profit on the roadster for my winter project, but I ended up with the Ridgeline, the MDX sold already, and the roadster is listed at 4k more than they gave me for it.

And the caveman stuff isn't a dig on sales people, but we've all been there. We all make a living. There are good ones, but they hide among the vampires.

No regrets. Already roadster shopping for another Del Sol, or S2000, or SLK.

But the first thing I did was take the new RL to Line-X. Not getting any younger and that control arm/strut job on the last one was an ordeal. :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts