Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, the new RDX was revealed this morning at the Detroit Auto Show. What does this have to do with the Ridgeline you ask? Well, it was announced that Honda's ten speed transmission will be in the RDX, along with SH-AWD. This would certainly open the possibility of the 10 speed auto making it's way to the Ridgeline next year.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Yes, the first pairing of the 10 speed to AWD but the question is can the 10 speed be paired to an AWD V6 or forget the V6 altogether. I think that for the Pilot, MDX, Odyssey and RL, a 2.0t won't be good enough. I was hoping the 2.0t 10 speed would make its way to the CRV but now it will be 40k or more to get it in the RDX. For 40k I would prefer some type of new V6.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,168 Posts
Make my dreams come true Honda with a 10 speed diesel Ridgeline and I will trade my truck in the second it is available for whatever you dare to charge for it.
Honda has basically killed the North American diesel program about 10 years ago, which is quite unfortunate

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the first pairing of the 10 speed to AWD but the question is can the 10 speed be paired to an AWD V6 or forget the V6 altogether. I think that for the Pilot, MDX, Odyssey and RL, a 2.0t won't be good enough. I was hoping the 2.0t 10 speed would make its way to the CRV but now it will be 40k or more to get it in the RDX. For 40k I would prefer some type of new V6.
That is the magic question. It's already paired to a V6 in the Oddyssey, but not to a V6/AWD combo. The 2.0 turbo makes more torque than the V6, so it would be safe to assume that it can be done. The only reason I can see them not being able to do it is if it's a packaging issue, although the ZF 9 speed fits perfectly fine on a lot of other V6/AWD Honda/Acura products. Seeing that the Ranger is getting the 2.3L Ecoboost, I wouldn't be surprised if Honda eventually developed a similiar, higher displacement turbo 4 of their own.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Honda has basically killed the North American diesel program about 10 years ago, which is quite unfortunate
I certainly understand why. Diesel emissions regulations are insane and the sensing technology can barely even meet what is regulatory required. The smaller the engine the worse it gets. Still, it's a dream!

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
That is the magic question. It's already paired to a V6 in the Oddyssey, but not to a V6/AWD combo. The 2.0 turbo makes more torque than the V6, so it would be safe to assume that it can be done. The only reason I can see them not being able to do it is if it's a packaging issue, although the ZF 9 speed fits perfectly fine on a lot of other V6/AWD Honda/Acura products. Seeing that the Ranger is getting the 2.3L Ecoboost, I wouldn't be surprised if Honda eventually developed a similiar, higher displacement turbo 4 of their own.
I hope not, they have a new V6 just not a home for it yet. There is also a different V6 in the top line MDX with the hybrid assist.

Temple of VTEC Rumors and News - New Honda DOHC V6 Patent reveals some details on the successor to the J-series V6

·
Registered
32 Posts
Unlikely that the RL will see a new transmission until this Body Style gets at least a facelift. But it's more likely that at the premier of the next Gen it'll get a turbo 2.0 and 10 speed. Lest us not forget that Honda is meeting sales targets with the existing tech. Japanese car companies will squeeze every last drop out of their R&D costs. Ford/GM are throwing the 10 speed into everything under the sun because they split the R&D on that transmission.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Other than another mike per gallon what would the ten speed do? I’m quite please with the six speed and its gearing. Have no desire for more shift points and complexity just to say I have ten speeds.

How many of you with 15-21 speed bikes need or use more than five?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Make my dreams come true Honda with a 10 speed diesel Ridgeline and I will trade my truck in the second it is available for whatever you dare to charge for it.
Honda only has a 1.6 liter diesel in its portfolio. It's rated at 118 horsepower, and 221 lb. ft. of torque. Nowhere near enough for a RL.

·
Premium Member
4,011 Posts
Other than another mike per gallon what would the ten speed do? I’m quite please with the six speed and its gearing. Have no desire for more shift points and complexity just to say I have ten speeds.

There was an article posted here a while back with percentages, but I can't remember them off the top of my head. I think I figured for the G2, it might net 1.6mpg.

The performance might be a bigger thing. It can skip four gears at a time while downshifting, so you might go from seventh to third gear while passing somebody. If it cuts an extra second or two off your passing time, that could be a huge safety benefit, as well as setting you back in your seat a little harder.

So far, reviews have been favorable in the Odyssey. MUCH better than the ZF nine-speed.

Also, lower initial gearing will get a heavy load moving quicker, and it will be less likely to overheat when doing slow offroading.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Bicycles are just like cars. If you want top performance, then you want and use more gears. If your'e just tooling around casually, then it doesn't make much difference. I run 2x10 on my road bike and even reconfigure the rear cassette based on the ride I plan for the day. 53/39 x 11/23 on flat rides and 50/34 x 12/27 when it gets hilly.

I would greatly like to see a 10s AT option, but with the 1st two gears being super low and locked out during normal operation. Kind of a 4WD low-range alternative.

·
Premium Member
4,011 Posts
I hope not, they have a new V6 just not a home for it yet. There is also a different V6 in the top line MDX with the hybrid assist.

Temple of VTEC Rumors and News - New Honda DOHC V6 Patent reveals some details on the successor to the J-series V6
So, Acura is apparently saying that they will be bringing their performance-oriented "S-Type" line back to several Acura models in the coming years.

https://jalopnik.com/acura-is-bringing-back-the-type-s-performance-line-1822116301

They will be using their own turbo V6, not to be shared with Honda.

So, will Honda also have a turbo V6, or is the TempleOfVTEC article just referencing an Acura-only engine? IOW, will Acura get the turbo six, while Honda is relegated to 4-bangers across the board? If that is the case, we should certainly hope for an Acura Ridgeline...

It is interesting that they seem to be moving to platforms that differentiate them more from Honda. As an example, the RDX apparently now shares very little with the CRV. Will we see the same thing happen with MDX and Pilot/Ridgeline?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
So, Acura is apparently saying that they will be bringing their performance-oriented "S-Type" line back to several Acura models in the coming years.

https://jalopnik.com/acura-is-bringing-back-the-type-s-performance-line-1822116301

They will be using their own turbo V6, not to be shared with Honda.

So, will Honda also have a turbo V6, or is the TempleOfVTEC article just referencing an Acura-only engine? IOW, will Acura get the turbo six, while Honda is relegated to 4-bangers across the board? If that is the case, we should certainly hope for an Acura Ridgeline...

It is interesting that they seem to be moving to platforms that differentiate them more from Honda. As an example, the RDX apparently now shares very little with the CRV. Will we see the same thing happen with MDX and Pilot/Ridgeline?
I just don't think a 2.0t will have enough go for a Pilot Odyssey or RL, maybe they will offer a non turbo version of the V6 in Honda or a less boosted version. Acura doesn't sell a lot of cars so they should need more outlets for its V6 investment. I don't know of any larger displacement 4 bangers in development. This is one time I would hope that Honda would raid the Acura parts bin. As much as I love Honda V6's an Acura Turbo V6 will be out of my price range.:frown:

Honda needs to make Acura relevant again and if it means differentiation then so be it. Acura definitely needs to offer a turbo V6 to compete with Lexus, Infinity, etc.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just don't think a 2.0t will have enough go for a Pilot Odyssey or RL, maybe they will offer a non turbo version of the V6 in Honda or a less boosted version. Acura doesn't sell a lot of cars so they should need more outlets for its V6 investment. I don't know of any larger displacement 4 bangers in development. This is one time I would hope that Honda would raid the Acura parts bin. As much as I love Honda V6's an Acura Turbo V6 will be out of my price range.:frown:

Honda needs to make Acura relevant again and if it means differentiation then so be it. Acura definitely needs to offer a turbo V6 to compete with Lexus, Infinity, etc.
The 2.0T 4 cylinder makes 306hp/295 lb-ft in the hair on fire Civic Type R trim. So even if you detuned it a bit for fuel economy and longevity, it's easily able to match or best the power numbers on the current V6. And the turbo engines have a flatter torque curve than the NA ones. So the 2.0T would probably provide a better driving experience for the mid size SUV/Unibody Truck crowds. Only drawback would be the NVH out of the 4 cylinder, but in my experience Honda has always been good at reigning that in.
I would suspect we're seeing the last generation of NA Honda engines.

·
Super Moderator
5,478 Posts
They could use this engine - it's available to any automaker who wants to make the move. It's a turbo/super charger combo with 3 cylinders and 6 pistons. 37 mpg combined.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
The 2.0T 4 cylinder makes 306hp/295 lb-ft in the hair on fire Civic Type R trim. So even if you detuned it a bit for fuel economy and longevity, it's easily able to match or best the power numbers on the current V6. And the turbo engines have a flatter torque curve than the NA ones. So the 2.0T would probably provide a better driving experience for the mid size SUV/Unibody Truck crowds. Only drawback would be the NVH out of the 4 cylinder, but in my experience Honda has always been good at reigning that in.
I would suspect we're seeing the last generation of NA Honda engines.
Totally disagree, super unleaded required to get those numbers. Downsized engines put down good numbers and do well on EPA tests but in the real world they are a breakeven at best. The trend is for turbos now but remember when the RDX went from a Turbo to a V6 now all of a sudden all those reasons that Honda promoted are void. No thanks, I'll take a V6 while I still can.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Careful with that. I was in a dealer the other day and they added $10K to the sticker of a Type R Civic, claiming it was a "Market Value" markup. I asked if the market was willing to pay an extra 10G's why didn't the manufacturer get in on this game and charge the dealer more? All I got was crickets... Of course with a $36K sticker on a Civic maybe Honda is putting it to the dealer

1 - 20 of 240 Posts