Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my new Blue Ridgeline RTL with Sunroof today. I wanted to make this buying experience a little different (wanted to remove the dealer's "home-field" advantage), so I did a lot of pre-work via the internet.

I found a local dealer that has "Plain & Simple" pricing, which basicaly means no negotiation and ~$1,200 off MSRP on the RTL with S/R. Since I knew I could do better based on the info I read on this site (thanks to all of you), I used this dealership for the test drive. I then requested quotes from 4 other dealerships via the web. That way, there was no conflict between in-store sales reps and the internet sales manager.

The model I asked for was the RTL with S/R invoice-$29,876 m.s.r.p.-$33155 (both include destination). The initial quotes that came back were all over the map: $32,455, $31,925, $31,076 and $30,250. I then wrote back to the two low bidders and said I was willing to pay invoice plus destination ($29,876). One dealer came down to $1000 over invoice, and the other said ok to invoice. I then actually called the dealership for the first time and confirmed that there were no extras I would encounter once I got there. To my surprise, everything was no pressure and very smooth. I picked up the truck today and couldn't be happier with the shopping experience (not to mention this outstanding rig).

I am surprised (but very pleased) to find this truck at invoice. It's no wonder one of the other dealerships is advertising that they have 14 on the lot to choose from.

Again, thanks for all the information found on these boards (and thanks to Tex's Ridge for pointing me here - I owe you one at Margarita's in Storrs!).

Regards,
Yukon

·
Registered
70 Posts
Way to go Yukon, that experience makes owning the RL more fulfilling. Nevertheless youre in for a treat. Welcome.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Yukon, congrats on your new ride! :) Wow! I wish I had your patience in negotiations! Great deal! I will keep a look out for you at Margaritas! You can buy me a drink any day.... :) Your welcome... :D

L

·
0 Posts
Tex's Ridge said:
Yukon, congrats on your new ride! :) Wow! I wish I had your patience in negotiations! Great deal! I will keep a look out for you at Margaritas! You can buy me a drink any day.... :) Your welcome... :D
And this my friends..is what this forum is all about!!
I got the warm and fuzzies!! :p

·
Registered
626 Posts
Hey Yukon,

I recently had a similar experience buying my RTL here in the LA area... I started by going to a dealership in Pasadena (far away from where I actually live, on purpose) just to do a test drive. Of course, this test drive was supposed to be "just for fun" -- my better half had no idea that I was already seriously considering buying the Ridge, and that the test drive was merely icing on the cake. I mean, how could it not rock? It's a Honda!

Anyway, so we did the test drive with the annoying sales guy in the back talking incessantly about how much leg room there was back there (yeah, yeah, I know, lots of leg room, but crimey! there's so *much* to say about the cruck, and this is all he could manage!). We were test driving a black RTL with Nav, because he didn't have what I wanted on the lot (Steel Blue). After the test drive we went inside to talk and get out of the blistering 110 valley heat, and he "came up with some numbers". Basically, he wanted me to pay MSRP for the RTL, plus a bend-over price for the options that I wanted (he claimed that they were not charging me for installation of said options, that they were at "cost" -- a little research at home told me otherwise!). The total price of the car, with just a few of the options that I wanted, came to $41K. Ha!

So, I left, and I started doing research and contacting other dealerships closer to home. Now that I had test-driven the car, and had a quote, I had a number for other people to beat. To my surprise, two local dealerships really fought for me, one expressed a lot of interest in working with me, and one (Santa Monica) blew me off all together.

The interesting thing that people should know (maybe it has been mentioned on the board already) is that at some dealerships, there's a concept of an "internet manager" sales guy -- he doesn't make commission, he makes salary. He goes for sales quantity, not profit from each sale. Through the internet managers, I was able to negotiate a deal of $100 over invoice, plus TTTF, with my options being at reasonable dealer-install prices. It wasn't bad; I don't feel as though I was ripped off. Total price for the car plus options, installed: $36528.88. That's with:

Tow Package
Roof Rack
Fog Lights
Rear Guards
Runningboards
Rearview Camera
Body Side Protectors
Interior Metal Trim
Bed Extender

$45 doc fee. Got the extended warranty. Paid lovely LA county tax and registration fees. Final number was $41557.98. So, I ended up paying what Pasadena wanted after all, but with more options (that quote didn't include the camera, body side protectors, runningboards, or interior trim).

My advice to people still shopping is to look for these "internet managers" -- you have to find them online, of course... start by requesting a quote via cars.com. That's what I did -- requested a quote from 3 dealerships, got email responses from 2 (neither of whom provided me a quote, but it started the relationship). Then hold your ground -- and shop near the end of the month, not the beginning!

One more thing (sorry this is so long!) -- when it finally came down to two dealerships offering essentially the same price ($100 over invoice), one dealership (Thousand Oaks) had the car I wanted, while the closer dealership (Woodland Hills) did not. WH tried really hard to get it for me, but WH and TO management hate each other, so there are no dealer trades between those guys. It ended up being a hassle for me -- I have to drive back to TO tonight and drop off my cruck for its options to *finally* be installed (10 days after buying it!) and get a ride home from my sales guy. It's too bad these guys are fighting -- for me, WH would've been *so* much closer!

Best of luck to anyone else still looking to buy -- you will not regret getting the Ridgeline!! I'll post pictures once my beauty is home again! :)

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Hey Fly, that's a very good and detailed run down on shopping!! Wish I had someone to advise me when I bought mine in March!! However, if someone else can benefit from your account, then you have done your bit for the ROC!!! And thats the name of the game!! :D :cool:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Tex, you did your part by being an early adopter. To all those who "regret" buying early and paying MSRP, you got your cruck *months* before I got mine, and have the honor of being an early adopter. I'm just following in your footsteps, and lucky enough to have gotten a great deal!

BTW, one more thing I left out of my post... The Pasadena guy, who wanted to sell me the RTL at invoice, tried to convince me to *lease* an RL instead! He only had one RTL on the lot with Nav, in black, so he was trying to get me into anything Steel Blue. Little does he know, I'm not one to be persuaded into doing things I don't want to do. He called me a few days later and told me they could come down on the price by $1000, and when I told him that I'd already found a dealership who would sell it to me for $100 over invoice, he *freaked*. He called me later and said that his manager had said they could "do better", but I wasn't sure if he meant "do better than $1000 less", or "do better than $100 over invoice". Anyway, Pasadena's far, and they didn't have the car, so I opted not to call him back. Must've been quite disappointing for him -- he was the top sales guy at their dealership for the past 6 years running!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Obviously they did not give you an honest answer and their best price up front. I would never buy from a dealership that conducts business that way.

Congratulations! Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yukon,

Great info/story. I am planning to purchase in the next month if I can get what I want for the price. Probably go the internet route myself. My friend has a Ridgeline which I have driven several times so test driving isn't even a player. Just seeing the colors in person is the only reason to go to the dealership. Isn't the internet great, get to spend thousands of dollars without having to have real human contact. ;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have seen adds here in CT from 2 dealers advertising the RTS around 27,500 to 28,000 down from msrp of $30,560. So there are deals to be had. If you are waiting now seems like a good time to get in. I paid sticker in March so there's justification. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
:) - Very good info Yukon. It should help anyone who prefers to approach such a deal with control and efficiency. I also have had very good luck, in other vehicles, by cutting a "quick and clean" deal based upon internet sourcing. You have taught me a few new moves. however. Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts