Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been saying for a long time the the Ridgeline commercial is pretty lame. A truck with some dirtbikes in the back driving around. One quick shot of the trunk from a distance. "Yada, yada, yada, but most of all it's a Honda." They can do better.

Last night my wife started yelling from the other room, "Come quick!". By the time I got there I missed almost the whole thing, but she says there are four guys in fishing type clothing in the truck and a bear is grunting and blocking the rough narrow road, so the driver gets out and pulls a big fish from the trunk/"cooler" and appeases the bear. They go on their way.

Sounds fun. Anyone seen it.

·
Registered
964 Posts
steveberger said:
I have been saying for a long time the the Ridgeline commercial is pretty lame. A truck with some dirtbikes in the back driving around. One quick shot of the trunk from a distance. "Yada, yada, yada, but most of all it's a Honda." They can do better.

Last night my wife started yelling from the other room, "Come quick!". By the time I got there I missed almost the whole thing, but she says there are four guys in fishing type clothing in the truck and a bear is grunting and blocking the rough narrow road, so the driver gets out and pulls a big fish from the trunk/"cooler" and appeases the bear. They go on their way.

Sounds fun. Anyone seen it.
They are also pulling a boat, pretty good sized boat too.

(When the driver gets back in the truck, one of the other guys says"I think that was my fish")

It is kind of a cute commercial. :p

·
Registered
430 Posts
The fish that he grabbed from the trunk is the biggest one in there, which makes the comment of "Hey, I think that was my fish." a little funnier, I think. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not being an owner yet I haven't been all that attentive to RL commercials.

Do they ever even mention the side airbags or ESC being standard?

It is so difficult to get any message across on TV. I totally ignore commercials on TV. I've become a master at tuning them out. Usually I'm here at the computer with the TV next to me. I barely pay attention to the program and I certainly am doing other things during commercials.

The only commercials I pay attention to are the funny ones. I can describe every detail of the last five David Spade 'Just Say No' commercials for Capitlal One. Same with a lot of the 'Got Milk' commercials.

If Honda comes up with a series of good funny commercials we can look forward (?) to RL prices firming up substantially.

I was at Howdy Honda in Austin Tx. yesterday and they have about twenty of them on the lot. One sees Elements everywhere but no RLs. Salesguy says everybody buying is all about gas mileage. Civics selling well.

·
Banned
1,577 Posts
Yeah, I just saw that commercial the other day and called my wife in to see it. (We like bears...and Ridgelines!) It sure beat that old commercial where a bear tears the crap out of a truck, but I forget what product that was for. Maybe an SUV.

I agree that the RL commercials don't do the truck justice. Maybe because there are so many neat things about it, it's difficult to put together a 15-30 second spot. I think they should come up with a series of commercials that are like a storyline, like advertisers did with the Budweiser Frogs and others. Then they can highlight each feature and move on to the next.

·
Registered
579 Posts
sfleming said:
Not being an owner yet I haven't been all that attentive to RL commercials.

Do they ever even mention the side airbags or ESC being standard?

It is so difficult to get any message across on TV. I totally ignore commercials on TV. I've become a master at tuning them out. Usually I'm here at the computer with the TV next to me. I barely pay attention to the program and I certainly am doing other things during commercials.

The only commercials I pay attention to are the funny ones. I can describe every detail of the last five David Spade 'Just Say No' commercials for Capitlal One. Same with a lot of the 'Got Milk' commercials.

If Honda comes up with a series of good funny commercials we can look forward (?) to RL prices firming up substantially.

I was at Howdy Honda in Austin Tx. yesterday and they have about twenty of them on the lot. One sees Elements everywhere but no RLs. Salesguy says everybody buying is all about gas mileage. Civics selling well.
As a commerical producer, (no kidding), I implore you to watch each and every commercial and buy at least one of everything advertised on TV & Radio. It's the only way I'm sure to have a job for the next 15 or so years....

Seriously though, I understand how people are torn so many different ways now. I'm sitting here watching a movie, thinking about what I'm going to pack for my weekend trip and surfing ROC. Thank goodness the Sundance channel doesn't have commercials........

:)

BTW, I like the spot. It's funny and it's well produced. I've got several ways to download competitive spots. When it shows up, I'll download a copy of it and then see if I can post it here somehow. Maybe T-Mac has some suggestions as to how to post a couple of meg spot. Maybe he has stick it to the top of the page or something.

Embo

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Embo_9 said:
As a commerical producer, (no kidding), I implore you to watch each and every commercial and buy at least one of everything advertised on TV & Radio. It's the only way I'm sure to have a job for the next 15 or so years....
How are you coping with Tivo? I haven't watched any commercials (unless by accident) for some time. I've only seen a static commercial once (Tivo technology that shows a banner for the product as you're fast forwarding through the ad for it). I would probably watch more commercials if there wasn't so much talking in them or actors opinions of how great a product they haven't tried is, or if the volume didn't suddenly get louder, or if there just wasn't so much BS and disclaimers. Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine. :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts