Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I just purchased a grey 2010 RTS with 88,000 miles. I'm so excited! haha I have been so interested in purchasing a ridgeline for some time now(years really). My main concern has been the towing capabilities. And while there is some info here and there, I really couldn't come to a confident conclusion on whether or not this truck will suffice for what I have for it. I have a 1999 Sea Ray 185 that I use probably around 25 times per year. The weight of the boat, engine, full gas tank and trailer is approximately 4,200lbs(give or take a few hundred). I don't usually have to haul it very far at all as I live in florida. I suppose my biggest concern has been pulling the boat out of the water. I literally found only one video of this happening on youtube. It did it, but the ramp wasn't very steep at all.

So I am creating this thread for anyone in the future who is looking to purchase a ridgeline but is hesitant for the same reason I was(and to say hi haha). My family and I have owned many honda's over the past decade(6 I believe) and we love them all. Hence why I have wanted to get the ridgeline for so long. Honda is a great company. I'm excited to finally have one(technically it comes in on Wednesday). We'll see what happens haha

I will update periodically throughout the summer.

Nice to meet all of you in advance :)

-Sam

·
Registered
75 Posts
Welcome, and you have given yourself your first task without even knowing it.

Post Pics of your Ridge hauling your boat out of the water. We all love good action shots
:act062:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tow a 20' mako cc fully loaded it probably pretty close weight wise. I have never had problem pulling out of the ramps even some pretty steep and poor quality ones. The only problem I find is I get about 8 mpg towing. I have towed my boat 300+ miles one way with no problems. I have a 2007 with 196k miles on it.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I use my Ridgeline to pull my 5000 lb wakeboarding boat/trailer out of the lake almost every week in the summer. It's on a moderately inclined ramp with a coarse gravel surface. This is the only time that I use the VTM-4 Lock function, as it prevents a momentary slippage of FWD before RWD engages automatically. As far as power and overall traction go, it's just dandy with OEM tires on this surface.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ian,

Wow, that is encouraging to hear! The first ramp I'm going to try isn't steep at al really. The one about an hour out which I'll get to sometime next month hopefully is a bit of a steep one. From the sounds of this though, it'll be just fine.

Why is it that Ridgelines get mocked for not being a truck when it can apparently do things like that just fine? I do not quite understand.

Thank you all for the reply's :)

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Have towed three different trailer combos (2 are boats, 21 pontoon, and 19 I/O) of varying weights from 3200 lbs to 5400lbs with two different Ridgelines (2006, 2012).

You wont have any problems if the truck is properly maintained and the trailer rig is appropriate for the boat (brakes, axles, hitch, tongue weight, etc.).

I use VTM lock on nearly all ramps unless they are pristine concrete with medium to low grade. I use low gear just to be safe. I routinely launch from steep gravel ramps. I will get a little bit of wheel spin but a light touch on the throttle will limit this.

Good luck. Your truck should do exactly what you want it to do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts