Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2007 RT last night. Has a 146K on it but drives like a dream.

I'm a big DIYer, any suggestions on what should be replaced immediately (no service records).

Here's my checklist:

oil change
transmission fluid change
VTM-4 Rear Diff change
spark plugs

Timing belt and water pump (in about couple of weeks)

Car does have a weird humming sound that can only be heard while driving. Not sure if its the like wheels or tires. sounds like its coming from under the car. Anybody else experience this?

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the ROC!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Looks like you are off to a great start. Welcome to the roc. And the humming could be a hundred diff things. But probably tires.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,269 Posts
Welcome to the ROC,

Congratulations on your new vehicle.

Power Steering Fluid and Brake Fluid are highly recommended, Brake has a 3yr, but many don't follow it, and PS doesn't show up in the Maintenance Minder, but should be done especially in cold climates

Without Pictures, it didn't happen...

Good Luck and Enjoy the Ride...

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Welcome!!! ?
Transfer case fluid, Antifreeze. I do recommend Honda Antifreeze, it just keeps cooling system cleaner.
I believe in over maintenance with fluids. My 2010 has 75k on it and all fluids have been changed at least twice. Oil changed just about every 4k.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,048 Posts
You have an RT with RTS/RTL wheels. Very nice! You've got a good start on your maintenance items. Change all the fluids to start a baseline. I would do a drain and fill on the transmission at least three times (preferably four) with driving at least 10-15 miles in between each D&F. Your truck had the older semi-synthetic Z-1 fluid from the factory. The new DW-1 Honda fluid is fully synthetic and superior. You can buy a case online for much less than retail. I usually ask for a discount for buying in bulk from the dealer. With 10% off, I get a case of 12 quarts for about $90. Make sure you change out your air filters, too. Not just the engine filter, but the cabin air filter, too. Never know what sort of crap has been caught by it while the previous owner had it.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Reactions: kpt104

·
Registered
46 Posts
I haven't seen anyone mention a radiator replacement yet (maybe I missed it), but that was one of the first things I addressed on my used 2007.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Yes, that is a good suggestion for preventative maintenance. Although it appears (from the brand of gas station) that the OP is in California or at least the west coast. If this truck has never seen harsh winters, the subject belleville washers on the transmission fluid head exchanger inlet/outlet may not have corroded nearly as fast as those found on northern state trucks. However, for about $150, changing out the radiator and the coolant is a good idea.

Reactions: Carsmak

·
Super Moderator
7,269 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, that is a good suggestion for preventative maintenance. Although it appears (from the brand of gas station) that the OP is in California or at least the west coast. If this truck has never seen harsh winters, the subject belleville washers on the transmission fluid head exchanger inlet/outlet may not have corroded nearly as fast as those found on northern state trucks. However, for about $150, changing out the radiator and the coolant is a good idea.
I think the radiator might have been replaced. Does the it also come with a transmission cooler in front of the radiator?

·
Super Moderator
7,269 Posts
From the factory, the G1 has an internal transmission cooler in the radiator, and an external cooler in front of the radiator. Additionally it came stock with a power steering cooler.

The replacement radiators, from the aftermarket also have an internal transmission cooler

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
From the factory, the G1 has an internal transmission cooler in the radiator, and an external cooler in front of the radiator. Additionally it came stock with a power steering cooler.

The replacement radiators, from the aftermarket also have an internal transmission cooler
The part inside the radiator is a fluid exchange unit. Its primary job is to heat up the tranny fluid to operating temp as quickly as possible to achieve the highest efficiency. The fluid goes directly from there out through the tranny fluid cooler which is on the outside front part of the radiator. Aftermarket replacement radiators for the RL all have the fluid transfer unit built into them, but the external fluid cooler is a completely separate part.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

The part inside the radiator is a fluid exchange unit. Its primary job is to heat up the tranny fluid to operating temp as quickly as possible to achieve the highest efficiency. The fluid goes directly from there out through the tranny fluid cooler which is on the outside front part of the radiator. Aftermarket replacement radiators for the RL all have the fluid transfer unit built into them, but the external fluid cooler is a completely separate part.
Here are some photos of the radiator. It looks good. What do you guys think? I can see the stickers on the hoses so I know those were replaced.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
The radiator can look and function perfectly fine. The offending parts are the fluid transfer inlet and outlet at the inside bottom of the radiator (engine side). The mild steel belleville washers used between the fitting and the radiator housing corrode, expand and can cause the fittings to pop loose from the radiator. This causes a very sudden loss of tranny fluid and/or a mixing of the coolant and tranny fluid that gets sucked into the transmission. It's nearly impossible to get a good look at the fittings let alone get a camera or phone in there to take good pictures.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts