Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Been shopping for the "perfect" vehicle for me and my family's needs for a while as my old Envoy XUV was starting to show it's age. Decided to pull the trigger on a 2006 RTL yesterday. It's a one owner with 102k on the clock. Great condition aside from a few little scrapes here and there. Picked it up for a little over $14k.

I needed something to tow our 18' Crownline boat, which weighs about 2500lbs with trailer. Also needed something that was going to be reliable and safe, so that pretty much ruled out most of the other vehicles in its class and in my price range. I have 2 very tall boys (my 16 year old is 6'-4" and my 12 year old is following in his path), so a crew cab truck was a MUST. This vehicle seems to check off all my needs. It's also got a very nice ride, loving the leather and sunroof too, plus it's pretty nimble and easy to park compared to the big beast full-size crew cab trucks out there. Also our dog should ride in the back fine with the seat folded up.

Not sure on the maintenance history as CarFax didn't show anything, but it sure seems pretty straight. I'm going to look into the 105k maintenance (timing belt, etc). Also I tried my best to look at the radiator lines, pretty hard to see but from what I can tell they don't look too terrible.

Cheers!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Congrats on your purchase & Welcome to the ROC!

Many here would suggest changing all of your fluids so that you establish a new baseline for maintenance moving forward.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I was wanting to plan on budgeting for the fluid change. Also noticed today that a couple of the tires are looking pretty cracked even though the tread ware doesn't look too bad. And of course, sounds like an idler pulley started to squeak today. None of that was happening yesterday before I bought it! Par for the course.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,915 Posts
mrwag, you might consider updating your profile to show your location (generally, if preferred).

If you are DIY oriented, you can easily do the routine maintenance yourself and save a buttload of $$.

There are all sorts of DIY tutorials on the ROC.

However, if you have neither the time nor the inclination, hopefully you should be able to find a local shop that can take care of your routine service requirements.

Good luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had my nephew do the timing belt/water pump/accessory belt for me this weekend. He's a mechanic and does stuff on the side, too, for a Lot less than what a shop would charge. Plus I trust his work. I can do some things, but other things are left to the pros.

I have the driver airbag recall scheduled for this Friday afternoon. After that I'm probably looking at some new tires and a tranny fluid flush. Also need to install the trailer wiring before boat season.

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
Welcome to the ROC!

Sounds like you are on the right track maintenance wise. If it were my truck, I'd go ahead and toss in a new radiator (they are not that expensive) and flush the antifreeze and trans fluid. Especially if I had a nephew like yours! :)

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,409 Posts
I agree with Coolbob, Replacing the Radiator will be very simple to do for your nephew. Several of us with far less experience have done this job, below are the reasons why.

Oh and the Honda Transmission does not like a "Power Flush" either "Drain and Fill" DnF or use a bladder type of system.

All the following threads are on Transmission/Radiator issues.

Happy Reading & Good luck

Radiator Failure @ Cooler Lines

Best Radiator Replacement

Pictures of Corroded/Rusted Radiator Fittings

Radiator Fail on 2006

UOA on ATF

Anatomy of OEM Denso Radiator

Poll(Never Posted) on Radiator/Trans Cooler Solution

1 - 8 of 8 Posts