Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking at the RTL - E 2020. I just found out the all the turn signals and and break lights are incandescent lamps . Not Led. This is a deal breaker for me. I was into this truck tell I found that out.
I am a Tech guy. I really like the Truck.Looking to spend 45.000 bucks. But not now.
1 I don't like the rear passenger doors being hard plastic on top of the doors. They should be soft on top like the front doors are.
2 I don't like incandescent lamps . Not these days. Non of my vehicles have incandescent lamps.
3 Not sure on the 9 speed with worse gas mileage . WHAT?
4 all the interior climate controls should be integrated into the infotainment center.

I do like the 18 inch wheels. A lot of manufactures are going to 20 inch. I found out real quick that 20 inch rims are not good for daily driver. Wife cant stay off of curbs or nails and tear rims ups. Never again.LOL

·
Registered
136 Posts
I own one LED bulb it's in my garage. It works good.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I am looking at the RTL - E 2020. I just found out the all the turn signals and and break lights are incandescent lamps . Not Led. This is a deal breaker for me. I was into this truck tell I found that out.
I am a Tech guy. I really like the Truck.Looking to spend 45.000 bucks. But not now.
1 I don't like the rear passenger doors being hard plastic on top of the doors. They should be soft on top like the front doors are.
2 I don't like incandescent lamps . Not these days. Non of my vehicles have incandescent lamps.
3 Not sure on the 9 speed with worse gas mileage . WHAT?
4 all the interior climate controls should be integrated into the infotainment center.

I do like the 18 inch wheels. A lot of manufactures are going to 20 inch. I found out real quick that 20 inch rims are not good for daily driver. Wife cant stay off of curbs or nails and tear rims ups. Never again.LOL
Do you need a mid-size pickup truck?

If not, you'll find better selection in the highly-competitive SUV market, and much better deals in the sedan market.

If so, the Ridgeline has by far the best interior of any mid-size pickup. You'll have to step up to the $60k full-size pickup if you want a better interior and comparable ride/luxury.

You do realize that the incandescent bulbs can be replaced with LED, right? To base a $45k purchase on bulb selection is pennywise and pound-foolish, IMO.

I disagree on integrating HVAC into the infotainment. They should separate ALL vehicle controls from the head unit. The head unit is likely one of the most upgraded items on a vehicle once it gets a few years on it, and vehicle integration makes head unit upgrades extremely difficult to impossible.

Good luck on your decisions.

·
Administrator
14,022 Posts
I just found out the all the turn signals and and break lights are incandescent lamps . Not Led.
The turn signals are incandescent, but the tail, brake, and side marker lights are LED as are the daytime running lamps, parking lamps, low beam headlamps, high-mount stop lamp, front courtesy and map lights, bed lights, door pocket lights, cup holder lights, door inner handle lights, footwell lights, and most (if not all) backlighting.

More people seem to prefer dedicated controls for the HVAC system. Most recently, Honda integrated some of the HVAC controls into the touch screen on the Civic and customers pushed back. Honda moved the fan speed control back to a dedicated control.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 2018 Ford edge now and and it is way ahead of the Ridgeline. I do want a truck but didn't want to go down in luxury and Technology. It should have 360 camera too for that price.
I use a F250 all day at work and I hate climbing in it all the time.
Full size truck is too big for me too. My son has a F150 platinum crew cab and nothing touches it in ride or luxury. But you need to climb in it.
You cant just replace the flashers with LED It needs a resistor in line with it to work right.
All my climate controls are in the infotainment center and easy to use.

The turn signals are incandescent, but the tail, brake, and side marker lights are LED as are the daytime running lamps, parking lamps, low beam headlamps, high-mount stop lamp, front courtesy and map lights, bed lights, door pocket lights, cup holder lights, door inner handle lights, footwell lights, and most (if not all) backlighting.

More people seem to prefer dedicated controls for the HVAC system. Most recently, Honda integrated some of the HVAC controls into the touch screen on the Civic and customers pushed back. Honda moved the fan speed control back to a dedicated control.
On the RTL E I see that now.So I am looking at it again. Just the turn signals and high beam lights are incandescent. I would have thought they could give the back doors more soft touch on the 2020. I complained about that in 2018 when I bought my Edge. I couldn't be the only one.

·
Registered
204 Posts
You can now get plug and play LED bulbs for the turn signals that have built-in resistors. If I find the source I came across, I'll edit this post, but a little Google-Fu should net you some options. You can also put LEDs in the high-beams.

·
Super Moderator
5,040 Posts
How often do you ride in the back seat?
I personally find the plastic on the back doors helps when I take my dogs to dog park. One of my dogs likes to put his paws on the door edge to look out the window. If it was soft touch it would be shredded.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I have a 2018 Ford edge now and and it is way ahead of the Ridgeline. I do want a truck but didn't want to go down in luxury and Technology. It should have 360 camera too for that price.
I use a F250 all day at work and I hate climbing in it all the time.
Full size truck is too big for me too. My son has a F150 platinum crew cab and nothing touches it in ride or luxury. But you need to climb in it.
You cant just replace the flashers with LED It needs a resistor in line with it to work right.
All my climate controls are in the infotainment center and easy to use.
I don't doubt that the Edge has the "edge" in gadgets, but can it do this? Just kidding, but honestly as far as I know there isn't a midsize truck that's as nicely appointed/equipped as the Ridgeline. We have the mid/low-level RTL AWD and find ourselves driving it more than the classic convertible or the upscale SUV we own (and we like both a lot).

Attachments

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I personally find the plastic on the back doors helps when I take my dogs to dog park. One of my dogs likes to put his paws on the door edge to look out the window. If it was soft touch it would be shredded.
Probably good for kids or teenagers who would ride back there, also, with their coke and fries in those custom-designed door cubbies....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Turn signals a deal breaker? Really?

You don't own a dog do you? That plastic trim keeps my dog from ripping that area up.

Your hatred of incandescent lamps is appalling. Back in my day we all had incandescent bulbs and we got by. How did we do it? It's amazing we ever drove in the dark isn't it?

Transmission got you down? I'd defer to engineers on why they built it. They are "Tech Guys" too.

No, the climate controls don't need to be in the console. If the head unit fails you don't have physical controls. It's a completely bad idea. Just because someone else does it doesn't mean it's a good idea, it just means they didn't think it through.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E, TonnoPro soft Trifold
15 Posts
I bought my 2020 RTL-E the led lights were the last thing I worried about. If he's paying $45,000 I would worry about the price. Lights can be changed.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
30 Posts
Posted details in another thread, but if you are into Tech IMHO you'll be disappointed in the Ridgeline. My s/o has a Ford Escape, and Ford's implementation of tech (ACC, RDS/LKAS, Auto-Brights, remote app, keypad entry) are much better. However, if driving experience (handling, comfort, performance) are a big factor, for me the Ridgeline crushed the Ranger and F150 and for me made up for the Ridgeline's tech deficiencies.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I test drove the RTL-E today. There are no LED tail lamps or door lamp. After having my ford I am spoiled. Another thing when you back up there is no proximity alarm to tell you are close to something. Sales guy couldn't believe that ether. Turn signals cant be changes easy without adding resistors.
Compared to my 4 cylinder turbo I thought it lack acceleration. Gearing or something. The RL was slow.
I really wanted this truck but hard to go backwards I thought the 2020 would be better than the 2019. It is just a little.
Yes $45,000 with the options I want.
I am really disappointed .Waiting and was hyped up for the 2020 to come out just to be really disappointed. Not happy. that is why I am here.I have been looking at this for a year now waiting for the 2020. The whole reason for a 9 speed is for better gas mileage and it failed at that.
I really liked the bed of the RL and the back cabin part. I didn't need to clime in it ether.
I don't live in back in the day. No reason to use incandescent lights anymore.

·
Administrator
14,022 Posts
Well I test drove the RTL-E today. There are no LED tail lamps or door lamp. After having my ford I am spoiled. Another thing when you back up there is no proximity alarm to tell you are close to something. Sales guy couldn't believe that ether. Turn signals cant be changes easy without adding resistors.
Compared to my 4 cylinder turbo I thought it lack acceleration. Gearing or something. The RL was slow.
I really wanted this truck but hard to go backwards I thought the 2020 would be better than the 2019. It is just a little.
Yes $45,000 with the options I want.
I am really disappointed .Waiting and was hyped up for the 2020 to come out just to be really disappointed. Not happy. that is why I am here.I have been looking at this for a year now waiting for the 2020. The whole reason for a 9 speed is for better gas mileage and it failed at that.
I really liked the bed of the RL and the back cabin part. I didn't need to clime in it ether.
Sounds like you and your salesman need to do some more research.

The tail lamps are most certainly LED, but don't take my word for it - visit owners.honda.com, download the Owner's Manual, and look at the bulb specifications on page 568.

The RTL-E most certainly has rear (and front) parking sensors. Look at the bumper and you'll see them. The feature can be turned off, so it probably was.

The 9-speed will give you better city fuel economy, but lower highway fuel economy. The combined rating is the same as the 6-speed. Better fuel economy is not the "whole" reason for the 9-speed. It also adds paddle shifters for manual gear selection and improves acceleration. Note that unless you shift to sequential mode and pre-select first gear, the 9-speed will start in 2nd gear. It will also downshift from 2nd to 1st if you fully depress the accelerator pedal from a stop.

According to Consumer Reports testing, the 2020 Ridgeline is currently the quickest mid-size truck on the market to 60 MPH.

I don't work for Honda and couldn't care less if you buy one or not, but let's keep the facts straight. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The tail lamps are most certainly LED. You can verify this by visiting owners.honda.com and downloading the Owner's Manual and looking in the bulb specifications on page 568.

The RTL-E most certainly has rear (and front) parking sensors. Look at the bumper and you'll see them. The feature can be turned off, so it probably was.
It doesn't have LED I just came back from the dealer. I know it says it does but but handa is wrong the 2020 RTL E doesn't. Go look on a lot you can see the bulb clearly incandescent. I don't know what they are calling tail lights but the 2020 RTL E I just looked at didn't have them.

Yes it has rear (and front) parking sensors but it don't work in reverse. I read in this forum somewhere it didn't work ether in backing up. The sales guy was honked at for getting to close to a vehicle while backing up. We both laughed.

I just read the the parking sensors can be turned off. Maybe the sales guy didn't have it on.
Here is a video of a guy that is backing up and nothing alerting him.At 6:48

·
Administrator
14,022 Posts
It doesn't have LED I just came back from the dealer. I know it says it does but but handa is wrong the 2020 RTL E doesn't. Go look on a lot you can see the bulb clearly incandescent. I don't know what they are calling tail lights but the 2020 RTL E I just looked at didn't have them.

Yes it has rear (and front) parking sensors but it don't work in reverse. I read in this forum somewhere it didn't work ether in backing up. The sales guy was honked at for getting to close to a vehicle while backing up. We both laughed.
No matter how many times you repeat this, you're still wrong.

The turn signals and reverse lamps are incandescent. The tail lights and brake lights are LED.

If the parking sensors were turned on, but were not working in reverse, then the specific vehicle you drove may have defective parking sensors. The rear ones can also be turned off while leaving the front ones active for towing.

I didn't want to have to go here, but I've owned five Ridgelines including a 2017 and 2019 RTL-E and live and breath Honda. I can confidently state that I know more about this vehicle than any salesperson or above at your dealership.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
No matter how many times you repeat this, you're still wrong.

The turn signals and reverse lamps are incandescent. The tail lights and brake lights are LED.

If the parking sensors were turns on, but were not working in reverse, then the specific vehicle you drove may have defective parking sensors.

I didn't want to have to go here, but I've owned five Ridgelines including a 2017 and 2019 RTL-E and live and breath Honda. I can confidently state that I know more about this vehicle than your any salesperson or above at your dealership.
I looked at the 2020 2 hours ago I seen the lamps with my eyes . They are incandescent just like the door light The sales guy agreed with me.
Go look at your tail light . You can see the bulb through the red lens. I want you to be right. But on this RTL-E it is incandescent

·
Administrator
14,022 Posts
I looked at the 2020 2 hours ago I seen the lamps with my eyes . They are incandescent just like the door light The sales guy agreed with me.
Apparently, neither you nor your salesman understands what a tail lamp is. Maybe this will help:

"Taillamps are steady burning low intensity lamps used to designate the rear of a vehicle."

You can read more about them in the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts