Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got it tonight. Here are some photos of things I remember people asking about and initial thoughts.

There are current deals out there under MSRP. No accessories installed on mine. Didn't even have to sit with Finance guy. Put on HELOC and may finance down the road.

I did not check tire pressure like I should have. Will have to even that out or have dealer do it since nitrogen. I like the info on each tire though.

I like the led mood lighting on the interior. Have to have headlights on for that to kick in {obviously).

Had to remove woods from golf bag to fit in bed storage. Not end of world. Can probably fit two bags in there with woods on top.

Golf clubs with woods in bag fit under back seat. Probably where they'll stay.

Bed lighting is nice. Lights up bed storage nicely. Comes on automatically when tailgate is swung open.

In bed audio is a nice feature. Will see how much I use it though.

Owners manual on CD. Have not looked at it on computer yet.

Included microfiber cloth for touchscreen cleaning. Limited use of touchscreen indicates that will be used often as many have said.

Android Auto works great. Not thrilled with having to have it tethered to dash USB port, but not a huge inconvenience.

Would like some more in cabin storage cubbies. Cup holder in door but shallow. Fear spills if shut door with something in it.

Armrests don't bother me. Do see how your right arm lands too far to the right on it, but gonna be personal preference.

Overall very happy with it after 51 miles driven. Obviously very limited use. More to come.

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,053 Posts
Put on HELOC and may finance down the road.

I did not check tire pressure like I should have. Will have to even that out or have dealer do it since nitrogen. I like the info on each tire though.
I'm curious why you chose to buy a vehicle using your home's equity considering that:

1. If you don't pay for your vehicle, you lose your home.
2. The interest rate is variable and could go up.
3. Interest rates on HELOCs are typically 2-3x or more than conventional auto loans.

Your tires are overinflated, but not grossly so. Just let a little out of each one until they all match the recommended inflation pressure - make sure they're cold first. Pay absolutely no attention to whether or not they're filled with nitrogen - the air all around us is already almost 80% nitrogen. This is a profit-making gimmick for dealers.

Also, there seems to be about a $500 unexplained discrepancy (too much) on your paperwork. You still bought the truck significantly below MSRP, which is great, but the numbers don't add up. If you add the numbers on the 5 lines beginning with "TAXABLE AMOUNT", they do not equal the number shown in "PRICE INCLUDING TAXES & FEES" line. Something is fishy here. Granted, I just woke up and don't drink coffee, so it sometimes takes my brain a while to get going.

Now that the scolding is out of the way. Congratulations on your Ridgeline purchase and welcome to the forum!

·
Administrator
16,053 Posts
I pick up my rtl e next week. I was not aware that the dash TELLS YOU INDIVIDUAL TIRE PRESSURES. Nice item.
Yup. Just like the 2009-2014 G1s with navigation. The G2 also has a "fill assist" feature that honks the horn when you're airing up the tires so you'll know when you reach the correct pressure. Nissan had that feature on the Altima several years ago.

·
Administrator
16,053 Posts
I like it as long as I can rotate my tires without having TPMS headaches.
And, you should be able to - just like the G1 Ridgeline.

There appears to be another error in the G2 owner's manual. It states that the TPMS must be calibrated after adjusting tire pressure, but does not give instructions for doing so. Furthermore, TPMS systems that contain actual pressure sensors in each tire like the Ridgline's do not require calibration. The only systems that require calibration are those that use the wheel speed sensors to measure rotational speed differences to detect a low tire - those systems (like the one used on the current CR-V) don't read individual tire pressures.

Note: Don't confuse "calibration" with "learning". Calibration sets a baseline for the rotational speed difference in vehicles that don't use actual pressure sensors. Learning refers to reassigning new or relocated tire pressure sensors to another location on the vehicle. The G1 and G2 Ridgelines require neither calibration nor learning.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I'm curious why you chose to buy a vehicle using your home's equity considering that:

3. Interest rates on HELOCs are typically 2-3x or more than conventional auto loans.

Your tires are overinflated, but not grossly so. Just let a little out of each one until they all match the recommended inflation pressure - make sure they're cold first. Pay absolutely no attention to whether or not they're filled with nitrogen - the air all around us is already almost 80% nitrogen. This is a profit-making gimmick for dealers.

Also, there seems to be about a $500 unexplained discrepancy (too much) on your paperwork. You still bought the truck significantly below MSRP, which is great, but the numbers don't add up. If you add the numbers on the 5 lines beginning with "TAXABLE AMOUNT", they do not equal the number shown in "PRICE INCLUDING TAXES & FEES" line. Something is fishy here. Granted, I just woke up and don't drink coffee, so it sometimes takes my brain a while to get going.

Now that the scolding is out of the way. Congratulations on your Ridgeline purchase and welcome to the forum!
Just a note on HELOC potential benefits...I have a house that is paid for so no primary mortgage but I carry a $150K available credit HELOC (not much 'in use'). The benefit is any interest can be written off when you itemize your taxes. If you have a typical 3.9% variable HELOC rate, your effective interest after taxes may be 2% or less.

So not a terrible thing IF you force yourself to pay down your HELOC quicker than normal. Most amortize over 10 years but you can 'force' it to a 4-5 year with additional principal each month. The danger is letting a bigger amount run for 10 years at that nice low HELOC payment and then even with the net/net low interest, you've still paid $70K for the G2 RL...Need to treat it like a 48 month auto loan.

I did move a $29K HELOC balance on my past G1 to the credit union and a 48 month auto loan at 1.9% just to make sure it was paid in a set period...I'd tend to limit the size of HELOC checks when it comes to auto purchases i.e. $20K or less.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

You're right on the HELOC. Typically you don't put cars on there. I did it mostly for short term convenience. Also, I have a teaser rate on my HELOC right now at 1.99%. Can write off the interest. I'll finance it within 6 months or so.

Thanks for the info on the tires. Good info on the Nitrogen. I'll tackle that this weekend.

I checked the math on the paperwork and it all came out right. It is hard to see in that photo. It also matched what he sent me back in early June. You could argue what should or shouldn't be included in the taxed amount, but I'm good with it.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,780 Posts
And I thought I paid too much (~$46,000) for my 2016 Toyota Tundra Platinum Crew Max 4x4 with the following accessories: In-bed Rail system with sliding tie downs, running boards, all weather floor mats, 7 yr /100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty, 5yr / 75,000 mile platinum service plan (All scheduled maintenance covered), this starts AFTER the 2 yr / 25,000 mile service plan expires.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts