Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Thought this might help someone else in my frustrating predicament. My TPMS light had been on since I purchased my truck last year, ah the joys of purchasing used. So I figured I would wait until I needed new tires to replace all four TPMS sensors, figuring they were the originals. So 2 weeks ago I got new tires, General grabber AT2's 245/70/17, and 4 new Dorman brand sensors. Went with Dorman over OEM due to price. $100/4 vs $160/4. Anyway after installing everything the TPMS light remained on. I scoured these pages hoping to find a reset procedure. "They should link up automatically" is all I got. Well, they didn't. Not right away at least. Slowly, over the past week the light has gone from staying on continuously, to intermittently, to staying off completely. All without my doing anything.

I was going to go to the dealer and have them diagnose the system, possibly reset it, for $50. Glad I waited a bit longer.

I guess what I'm saying is after you get new sensors installed, be patient. It may take a week to get them to relearn, but the system will automatically update itself.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
TPMS sensor are automatically detected - but they are model year sensitive. you have to have the ones that transmit on the frequency for that year.

The other possiblity is that the TPMS receiver is bad, only the Honda dealer can detect that with the HDS plugged into the OBD II Port. It will tell the pressure of each tire and if one (or more) are not detected.

Have you validated that all the fuses are good? it the TPMS computer is not powered the TPMS light will light.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. However, I was pointing out that my TPMS light went away on its own. The system is now fully functional.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Thanks for your reply. However, I was pointing out that my TPMS light went away on its own. The system is now fully functional.
Yes that's what it is designed to do since 2005. The only thing Larry was saying was the 2005 to 2008, they have a specific model sensors and 2009 + a different. So, the 2008 sensors will not self calibrate on a 2009 + RL. However they will all go away on their own provided you have the right sensor in from the right year model. And, if one sensor is bad, the TPMS light will go on and stay on and will not notify you of a low tire pressure. Will also be unable to take the VSA/Traction Control off unless you take out the fuse for it if the TPMS light is on.

J

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My only intention with this post was to inform others that it may take a week or so for the "automatic" system to completely adjust itself to the new sensors. I've seen posts here where the light had not gone off right away so people had gone back to the dealership/tire shop and paid for diagnostic services that were obviously unnecessary.

Bottom line. The light does not always go off immediately. Be patient.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
My only intention with this post was to inform others that it may take a week or so for the "automatic" system to completely adjust itself to the new sensors. I've seen posts here where the light had not gone off right away so people had gone back to the dealership/tire shop and paid for diagnostic services that were obviously unnecessary.

Bottom line. The light does not always go off immediately. Be patient.
Yes again that's how the system is designed and most of us here already know that.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,577 Posts
That's a good reminder. I must say that I am surprised that it took a week to reset itself.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Thanks for the insight Sonik..... I'm sure there are members/readers for whom this info will be helpful. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, the fact that it took so long was what surprising. Every post on this site said have them installed and drive away, you're light will go off in a couple minutes. Either way, love having no warning light and the ability to switch off VSA if needed.:act035:

·
Super Moderator
22,577 Posts
I wonder if using OEM sensors would change how long it takes for the light to go out?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Crossing fingers I have same outcome that Sonik had...purchased Dorman# 974-037 sensors installed while new tires were put on. TPMS light comes on after 20 miles, so hopefully by the end of the week the relearn will be complete. Will report back.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I bought Dorman. Light came on...went off for a month...came on forever. Bought Honda and all is well. Nothing but OEM for this guy.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
...on a somewhat related note, we noted yesterday that our new 2016 CRVs no longer have a TPMS sensor(s) inside the wheels/tires. The ABS system is the TPMS monitor now.

Perhaps that will be so as well on the new gen2 RL...
That's a similar system to what Toyota has been using for years. My 2015 Fit and my Friends 2016 HRV use it also. I believe it's been determined that although not as accurate as in Tire TPMS systems, it is accurate enough.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Crossing fingers I have same outcome that Sonik had...purchased Dorman# 974-037 sensors installed while new tires were put on. TPMS light comes on after 20 miles, so hopefully by the end of the week the relearn will be complete. Will report back.
So I owe a report: Had the Dorman's installed around 11-1-15 and of course got the TPMS light after driving a few miles. Figured it would have to go to Honda for a forced relearn as the "auto" learning process didn't seem to be happening, but if course got busy with work so haven't gotten around to it yet. Earlier this week the wife says the light is not popping on after a few miles anymore....huh? So I go out and cycle the key to ON and the TPMS lights and goes out before turning the key to Start. Go out and drive a few miles and sure enough the TPMS is not coming on anymore.

I'm' going to double check low pressure function this weekend to make sure the graphic on dash shows if a specific tire is low on pressure. Will report back after that again.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I owe a report: Had the Dorman's installed around 11-1-15 and of course got the TPMS light after driving a few miles. Figured it would have to go to Honda for a forced relearn as the "auto" learning process didn't seem to be happening, but if course got busy with work so haven't gotten around to it yet. Earlier this week the wife says the light is not popping on after a few miles anymore....huh? So I go out and cycle the key to ON and the TPMS lights and goes out before turning the key to Start. Go out and drive a few miles and sure enough the TPMS is not coming on anymore.

I'm' going to double check low pressure function this weekend to make sure the graphic on dash shows if a specific tire is low on pressure. Will report back after that again.
I purchased the same Dormans you did. TPMS light has still not come on except one time this winter when it was just doing it's job and letting me know about my passenger rear being low.:act035:

·
Registered
5,620 Posts

Did you ever get around to doing this?? Holidays are done... no more excuses! :act024:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hey all,
Thought this might help someone else in my frustrating predicament. My TPMS light had been on since I purchased my truck last year, ah the joys of purchasing used. So I figured I would wait until I needed new tires to replace all four TPMS sensors, figuring they were the originals. So 2 weeks ago I got new tires, General grabber AT2's 245/70/17, and 4 new Dorman brand sensors. Went with Dorman over OEM due to price. $100/4 vs $160/4. Anyway after installing everything the TPMS light remained on. I scoured these pages hoping to find a reset procedure. "They should link up automatically" is all I got. Well, they didn't. Not right away at least. Slowly, over the past week the light has gone from staying on continuously, to intermittently, to staying off completely. All without my doing anything.

I was going to go to the dealer and have them diagnose the system, possibly reset it, for $50. Glad I waited a bit longer.

I guess what I'm saying is after you get new sensors installed, be patient. It may take a week to get them to relearn, but the system will automatically update itself.
I'm out here dredging up every TPMS thread I can find. I have had the EXACT same experience you did except that after over a month of having the new sensors and new tires installed my TPMS light is showing absolutely no signs of wanting to stop coming on. Immediately upon starting, every single time, the TPMS "low tire" indicator flashes and the main display in the middle of the gauges warns be that I have a TPMS system error. I thought it was just bad sensors. Discount Tire has attempted to program these sensors to the truck twice with no change (well, the second time the light went out for about 5 minutes and the pressures all read 0, then it went right back to the error message). I'm worried that there may be an issue with the TPMS receiver or some other component of the system but I really don't want to pay the Honda dealer the $135 that they want just to plug in the computer and run a diagnostic. They're really good at then proceeding to tack on $100's of additional charges or repairs as well.

After reading this thread I'm going to see if I can track down which fuse the TPMS system is on. I hadn't thought of that as a possible cause so I'm going to eliminate it right now.

·
Super Moderator
22,577 Posts
coolcat, by any chance do you have a full size spare?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts