Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Premium Member
818 Posts
Roman always liked it, he just felt like he should be finding reasons not to like it. He represents a lot of non-Honda people.

Reactions: orAaron

· Premium Member
356 Posts
I think it's no different than Apple dropping the headphone jack, people just don't like change. And the whole it's not a truck argument is stupid. If you can get past that and appreciate it for what it is, it's a very awesome vehicle. I couldn't be happier with mine. I've owned a ridiculous amount of cars and trucks and the Ridgeline is the only vehicle i've ever owned 2 of. I love the improvements and tech on the 2017 BE.

· Administrator
24,843 Posts
I think it's no different than Apple dropping the headphone jack, people just don't like change. And the whole it's not a truck argument is stupid. If you can get past that and appreciate it for what it is, it's a very awesome vehicle. I couldn't be happier with mine. I've owned a ridiculous amount of cars and trucks and the Ridgeline is the only vehicle i've ever owned 2 of. I love the improvements and tech on the 2017 BE.
I can relate. I've had two dozen vehicles - about one a year. Four of those have been Ridgelines.

· Registered
387 Posts
Depends how you define "take a beating". I'm also a serial car trader. The one I traded in on this was a Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon I purchased new. Drove it a year and a half and got about $1,500 less than I paid for it when I traded it in. That's well within my comfort zone to waste on enjoying a car.

· Administrator
24,843 Posts
Jumping out of vehicles every year! - Do you guys lease or just take a beating?
I've never traded in a car after 1 year - what kind of loss does that translate into dollar wise?
Knowledge, patience, and timing (and perhaps a smidgen of luck on occasion) have minimized the damage to my wallet. I've never leased and rarely take too bad of a beating. I lose less by shopping smart and trading frequently than most buyers lose by falling for the tricks of the trade and trading after several years. The CR-V I traded for the Ridgline was only two months old. On paper, I got back 90% of what I paid for it and bought the Ridgeline at a 4% discount below MSRP with no other markups or add-ons at a time when most people were still paying at or above MSRP (and still are three months later). I don't let dealers intimidate me. I do my homework. In the case of the Ridgeline deal, the GM of the dealer lives near me and owed me a favor after his people refused to sell me one of their loaners I tried to buy earlier this year. With the exception of one dealer several years ago, I've found that being a repeat buyer, being nice/kind/cooperative, and buying all your parts/service there no longer make any difference. If anything, they learn how to screw you over even more while making you think they did you a favor. Dealers routinely screw their own employees and relatives - it's a cutthroat industry. As with anything else, the key is to buy low and sell high buy brands that historically perform well in terms of resale value - and stay within that brand as long as possible.

· Administrator
24,843 Posts
"Reason #3 Why the New Honda Ridgeline is a Game-Changer":
In-bed audio exciters!

Seriously?
There may actually be some folks who use this feature, but....
A "game-changer"...? Really?
This probably bothers my OCD more than it would a normal person, but I noticed he used incorrect terminology when describing some of the Ridgeline's features. He also reversed the HP and torque ratings and was off by 1 on the torque figure.

The whole time I watched that video, I felt like Roman was being forced to say things he really didn't want to say.

· Registered
552 Posts
in the case of the in bed audio, Roman may be defining it a gamechanger because, useful or not, it is likely to be copied by other manufacturers.

What bugs me a bit about these 'truck guy' reviews is that they really harp on it being worthless off-road, and yet in the case of the pickuptrucks.com comparison it apparently ran the same course that all of the other ones did with no issues. I understand it doesn't have the ground clearance and articulation of a Tacoma, I just want to see it fail a test so that their concerns are justified.

· Premium Member
237 Posts
The whole time I watched that video, I felt like Roman was being forced to say things he really didn't want to say.
This was my take as well. I didn't feel like there was an ounce of sincerity and that the entire video was simply a prelude to the real purpose which was when he was asking Honda for a long term loaner, which also explains the recent release of the drag race video. "See Honda, we can say good things about your truck. So can we keep it? Pleeeaaassse!"

It's equally likely that I've just grown into a cynical, bitter old man.

· Registered
276 Posts
This was my take as well. I didn't feel like there was an ounce of sincerity and that the entire video was simply a prelude to the real purpose which was when he was asking Honda for a long term loaner, which also explains the recent release of the drag race video. "See Honda, we can say good things about your truck. So can we keep it? Pleeeaaassse!"

It's equally likely that I've just grown into a cynical, bitter old man.
Funny, while watching the video I felt that too. They were playing nice in order to be able to keep it.

Their site is getting popular, I would not be surprised if they do get to keep it.

· Registered
3,228 Posts
...What bugs me a bit about these 'truck guy' reviews is that they really harp on it being worthless off-road, and yet in the case of the pickuptrucks.com comparison it apparently ran the same course that all of the other ones did with no issues. I understand it doesn't have the ground clearance and articulation of a Tacoma, I just want to see it fail a test so that their concerns are justified.
I agree that they need to actually show how it fails an off-road challenge: show us where it will hang up on small rocks or tree roots, show us where the angle of approach will prevent you from fording a stream or crossing a ditch, show us the terrain that exceeds the capability of the iVTM-4 traction system and the "L" selection of the 6AT. In this video, it looks like there's a short clip from a Gold Mine Hill run as Roman mentions low ground clearance, so maybe that test is coming soon.

IIRC, pickuptrucks.com admitted their off-road challenge was focused more on hill climbing and traction rather than obstacles that would threaten the RL's lower ground clearance. My suspicion is that these testers/reviewers really don't want to take the RL to an off-road course where they might seriously damage the undercarriage, suspension (e.g., lower control arms), driveline or even just the front bumper. We may never know what the G2 RL's real world limits are until an owner exceeds them and reports about it on the ROCF.

· Registered
296 Posts
My suspicion is that these testers/reviewers really don't want to take the RL to an off-road course where they might seriously damage the undercarriage, suspension (e.g., lower control arms), driveline or even just the front bumper. We may never know what the G2 RL's real world limits are until an owner exceeds them and reports about it on the ROCF.
THIS is the primary reason I'm patiently awaiting a few true off-road tests, especially in snowy hills. If I can test drive a RLII in the winter and make it up my driveway with a foot of snow, I'll be buying one. Will wait on TFL's off-road review in the meantime.

· Registered
552 Posts
We have already seen it run the Gold Mine run as a Pilot. And although they crapped on the tires and transmission and lack of low range and low ground clearance, the Pilot made it through without damage, and one of only 2 SUVs at the time that made it up that final hill ( the other being the big Infiniti ). I can't imagine why the RL would do worse.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.