Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came out of the store, jumped in my Ridgeline and started it up. TPMS SYSTEM REQUIRES SERVICE (or something like that lights up and stays on) and the low tire symbol also stays on. No tire pressures are displayed and I am thinking oh no the computer has said goodby. Down to the stealership I go and
It turns out that one of my sensors has died and I guess the whole system shuts down when that happens. They also tell me I should replace my tires (spiderweb cracking on the sidewalks) even though there is only 28k on them. Well, I was thinking about that anyway. They are into their 6th year of service (low mileage and a good bit of tread left does not always = safe). Soooo off to my local tire store I go after some research and I now am running Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S + tires with new gator TPMS sensors all around.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,593 Posts
Re: New tires and Tpms sensors

Was it the OEM Michelin LTXs with the sidewall cracking? I have had the Mich LTXs and Lattitude Tours, both of which developed sidewall cracking before the useful treadlife was up. No more Michelins for me. . .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone maybe somebody can help me I'm in a bind... I am an original owner of a 2006 rtl I have 65000 miles on truck and I have the "cylinder #4" issue with oil on the spark plug. I've read a crazy amount of reviews and many people had no luck with fixing the problem until it was too late and they ended up changing unessesary parts and problem turned out to be the front cylinder heAd. So my ??? Is who can point me in the right direction as far as what too do with this issue? Please help oh by the way. Compression tested perfect and pressure test on cooling system tested good. Thanks

·
Registered
5,620 Posts

:act060:
Hey everyone maybe somebody can help me I'm in a bind... I am an original owner of a 2006 rtl I have 65000 miles on truck and I have the "cylinder #4" issue with oil on the spark plug. I've read a crazy amount of reviews and many people had no luck with fixing the problem until it was too late and they ended up changing unessesary parts and problem turned out to be the front cylinder heAd. So my ??? Is who can point me in the right direction as far as what too do with this issue? Please help oh by the way. Compression tested perfect and pressure test on cooling system tested good. Thanks
Change the plugs & make sure they are torqued correctly (to the right value). If you don't have any issues, I'm not sure why you think you have a "#4 cylinder" problem (oil on the plug???). If oily plug is your only symptom, I'd first make sure your plug 'well' is clean & dry when you change the plug, and then just monitor closely. If you do actually have a problem, and it does not get away from you, you'll be the first I've heard of who preempts major repair issues.
Normally I'd say to look for hairline crack between cylinders, but if your compression is testing good, it's unlikely you have any such problem.

Keep a close watch & keep us informed. Others will likely have supplemental advice/comments as well.

EDIT: I don't know why I didn't already mention, but this line of questioning exemplifies the definition of "thread hi-jack"! :) We'd all be better off if you started a new thread for your question, or possibly follow-up an existing thread that is more applicable to your "cylinder#4" question. I'm just sayin' :)

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,377 Posts

I'm with Dnick on this, I'm really unsure why you think you have. #4 Cyl issue.

But more importantly, BSOFF, use the search (in the Blue bar) and post this in one of the several threads related to the #4 Cyl issue. There are quite a few and I'm certain that reading those posts would be valuable to your concerns, and maybe contain answers to your question. Also your more likely to get an answer to your question there, some users use the notification system and only follow certain threads.

Now back to the topic of TPMS, Counselor, what was the cost of the new sensors and were they special order? Also did your Honda Dealer plug in a code reader and possibly charge you or did you get the diagnosis, simply by the service writer looking at the dash, and was that warning spelled out on the dash or was it just the low pressure symbol.

Lastly has anyone with a 2006-08 had this warning or in addition to changing the sensor type were there additional information feedback added to the 2009 and up model year vehicles, meaning those of us with older RL's will not get the same kind of feedback.

·
Registered
36 Posts

I have an '06 with 120,000. I'm on the second set of tires (probably about 20,000 miles left before they should be replaced).

I have yet to see any problems with my sensors, but I suspect they won't last much longer. I would be interested in anyone's thoughts on whether or not I should replace them when I get the next set of tires mounted.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts

See my edit above regarding posting your question elsewhere, or tagging on to an existing as mentioned by Carsmak above.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Hey old retired guy. All that I have read and the tire folks that I have spoken to say sensors will last about 6 years and some last as long as 10 years but could go out any time after 6 years. Some people replace only the ones that go bad. But if one goes, it is only a matter of time until the others die. I try to be proactive with things like this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Hello Carsmac,
Dealer diagnosed bad sensor in the service bay. TPMS SYSTEM REQUIRES ATTENTION or something like that lit up on my dash and circular symbol denoting low tire also lit up. The message and symbol could not be reset. Dealer recommended that all sensors and my tires be replaced. No charge for this.

I went to a local tire dealer and replaced tires and sensors. Sensors were made by gator (not special order). They were generic and had to be programmed for the truck, which they did in a few minutes. $85.00 each installed and programmed.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Our '06 is just about 150K miles, first two sets of tires lasted about 70K each, and still rolling along on original wheels & TPMS sensors. Mild weather might have something to do with it, but we're well past 10 years now. Will let you know when they crap out (if ever!). ;)

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,593 Posts
My 06 has 110k on it and has just recently started showing an intermittent TPMS light. I had new tires put on over the winter and I am now kicking myself for not having done new sensors.

·
Registered
32 Posts
2006 RTL, put about 92,000 miles on the first set of tires - OEM Michelin's I believe. Second set have come and gone now,..and they are replaced with Coopers I think now.

At 177,000 miles, still going. I am looking at having to replace the TPMS sensors next time around as the TPMS light comes on now from time to time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
if you have the oem Michelin tires and the side walls are cracking go to a Michelin authorized dealer and get them inspected. I had them replaced on my car it was a pro-rated warranty but I only ended up paying $60 a tire for new ones plus install. If the tires are less than 5 years old and have side wall cracking issues its usually no problem I went to the guys at Kal Tires and they helped me out. Check the last four digits of the DOT number its in weeks of the year and year. (ei. xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-1012. which would be 10th week of 2012)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts