Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the story, I need some new tires before this winter. I've been doing some searching here on the forums. I have limited it down to these three:

Goodyear Wragler All-Terrain Adventure With Kevlar
Michelin LTX A/T2
Michelin LTX M/S (Originals)

I live in Ohio, near PA, so lots of snow and slush during the winter, and I also work at a hospital, so yes they need to be good in the snow and wet weather.
My original tires were good in the snow. I bought the RL with around 41,000 miles and I'm close to 80,000 now. The tires are almost done.

I also drive on gravel/dirt roads and also through fields, hence the reason I am looking at the AT tires.

I am going to stop at the local tire shop tomorrow and see which he recommends is the best for our area, but I also wanted to check on here what your opinions are. I basically only want opinions from people that live up in snowy rural areas and have experience with one of the AT tires and which would be better or have had experience with them and would recommend the OEM Michelins instead.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
So here's the story, I need some new tires before this winter. I've been doing some searching here on the forums. I have limited it down to these three:

Michelin LTX A/T2

I live in Ohio, near PA, so lots of snow and slush during the winter, and I also work at a hospital, so yes they need to be good in the snow and wet weather.
My original tires were good in the snow. I bought the RL with around 41,000 miles and I'm close to 80,000 now. The tires are almost done.

I also drive on gravel/dirt roads and also through fields, hence the reason I am looking at the AT tires.

I am going to stop at the local tire shop tomorrow and see which he recommends is the best for our area, but I also wanted to check on here what your opinions are. I basically only want opinions from people that live up in snowy rural areas and have experience with one of the AT tires and which would be better or have had experience with them and would recommend the OEM Michelins instead.
You need to do a little more searching because we discussed this very topic about two weeks ago. The Michelin LTX M/S2 tires are the best all season winter tires in my opinion. The all terrain tires aren't very good in ice and icy slush. I have experience with both the tires you are considering, so take a look at this link:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119242&highlight=Wrangler+adventure

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to do a little more searching because we discussed this very topic about two weeks ago. The Michelin LTX M/S2 tires are the best all season winter tires in my opinion. The all terrain tires aren't very good in ice and icy slush. I have experience with both the tires you are considering, so take a look at this link:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119242&highlight=Wrangler+adventure

Yeah I kind of already read that and also posted in it. Also I didn't know that your Ram and Avalanche was a RIDGELINE. I'm looking for people that have had them on a Ridgeline and under the conditions I live not on another vehicle. If I wanted any vehicle I would have posted on a different forum and got a bunch of different vehicles. That's is why I posted a specific thread for these tires on this vehicle.

There is one post on there about a guy with a Ridgeline and these tires:

"I've owned the Goodyear Adventure w/Kevlar for a year now. My OEM Michelin's wore out and I wanted something more "aggressive", and since I like Goodyear (don't know why, but that's all I've bought for years now), these tires fit the bill. It was almost pointless for me to buy them, 98% of my driving is in the city under normal conditions.

That being said, I think these tires are actually really good street tires, for being AT. I've pushed them hard in adverse conditions, to "test out" their capability, and overall I'm happy. Don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean these tires performed miracles, it's just that for AT's, I was pleased.

Snow; honestly, the OEM's might be a tad better. I never once had a real problem, I was only slightly disappointed when I pushed them hard. I never had a problem going straight, it was while turning. I felt like they should have bit into the snow better for having an aggressive tread.

Rain; not one problem.

Normal/Dry; more than fine for AT's. I've had a few panic stops, street & highway, I never felt like it under-performed. A few people expressed concern for excess road noise since they're AT's, but I've never noticed any difference between these and the OEM's.

Off-road; honestly, haven't done anything "extreme". The worst though was a couple weeks ago, I was at the family farm. The harvested wheat field was just disked, and they had been having drought like weather this year, the dirt was just like sand. I was worried I might have trouble, but the Ridgeline plowed right trough it. I was pleased.

Overall; I like the tires, no problems, but I think I would've been slightly better off with a more traditional tire."

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Yeah I kind of already read that and also posted in it. Also I didn't know that your Ram and Avalanche was a RIDGELINE. I'm looking for people that have had them on a Ridgeline and under the conditions I live not on another vehicle. If I wanted any vehicle I would have posted on a different forum and got a bunch of different vehicles. That's is why I posted a specific thread for these tires on this vehicle.

"I've owned the Goodyear Adventure w/Kevlar for a year now. My OEM Michelin's wore out and I wanted something more "aggressive", and since I like Goodyear (don't know why, but that's all I've bought for years now), these tires fit the bill. It was almost pointless for me to buy them, 98% of my driving is in the city under normal conditions.

That being said, I think these tires are actually really good street tires, for being AT. I've pushed them hard in adverse conditions, to "test out" their capability, and overall I'm happy. Don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean these tires performed miracles, it's just that for AT's, I was pleased.

Snow; honestly, the OEM's might be a tad better. I never once had a real problem, I was only slightly disappointed when I pushed them hard. I never had a problem going straight, it was while turning. I felt like they should have bit into the snow better for having an aggressive tread.

Rain; not one problem.

Normal/Dry; more than fine for AT's. I've had a few panic stops, street & highway, I never felt like it under-performed. A few people expressed concern for excess road noise since they're AT's, but I've never noticed any difference between these and the OEM's.

Off-road; honestly, haven't done anything "extreme". The worst though was a couple weeks ago, I was at the family farm. The harvested wheat field was just disked, and they had been having drought like weather this year, the dirt was just like sand. I was worried I might have trouble, but the Ridgeline plowed right trough it. I was pleased.

Overall; I like the tires, no problems, but I think I would've been slightly better off with a more traditional tire."
I had a Ridgeline with LTX M/Ss before the Avalanche, and I drove it through a mountain winter. The Wrangler adventures didn't compare with the Michelins in the slush and ice. I think the LTXs were better in deep snow as well even though the Adventures have more aggressive tread. The LTXs have a lot of fine siping similar to Bridgestone Blizzaks that really get good snow traction.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a Ridgeline with LTX M/Ss before the Avalanche, and I drove it through a mountain winter. The Wrangler adventures didn't compare with the Michelins in the slush and ice. I think the LTXs were better in deep snow as well even though the Adventures have more aggressive tread. The LTXs have a lot of fine siping similar to Bridgestone Blizzaks that really get good snow traction.
Thanks. I don't mind the OEM Michelins. They did a good job. I was kind of hoping to get one that was a little better off road and that didn't crack so bad. These tires are almost 3 years old and there are so many cracks in the side walls and tread, it looks terrible and I'm a little worried safety wise, because of the cracking.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I just bought a set of Cooper SRX tires for a variety of reasons. They are $40 cheaper per tire than Michelins. They are a well designed tire. I think that Michelins are a great tire but I didn't like the dry rot and cracking issue that I have had. I've had the tires for a week, they are very quiet and smooth riding. Excellent traction. Check them out here http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Sport-Utility/Discoverer-SRX.aspx If you do a quick search they get plenty a great reviews.

Also check this out for tire rankings:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/03/what-brands-make-the-best-tires/index.htm

I spent $900 for a full set with TPMS, mounting, alignment and taxes at Mavis. The service was prompt, professional and extremely quick.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I could not afford the $1200 for the LTX that I put on my RL 3 years ago this go around. I was at Sam's and they had a really good price on Pirelli Scorpon ATR, $508 out the door. So far I am really happy with them. They are quiet, and great in the rain. I have not had them off road yet or in snow-mud. I don't go off road much and we have about 25" of snow a year. My big question is how long they will last and I will have to see about that. For me they were what I was looking for. :act018:

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,594 Posts

Michelin LTX A/T2

Michelin LTX M/S are oem tires. The LTX M/S2 are a different tire and not directly comparable. Overall, they are reported to be better tires than our OEM LTX's. They are also not available in the stock size for the Ridgeline's with 17" wheels. I do believe they have a stock size fitment for the 18" wheeled Ridgelines. . .
Not sure why you would consider the M/S's but not the M/S2s?

Hope you find someone with the Ridgeline specific experience you are looking for. . ..

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They are also not available in the stock size for the Ridgeline's with 17" wheels. I do believe they have a stock size fitment for the 18" wheeled Ridgelines. . .

You answered your question in your own post.... They aren't available in the 17" wheel in the stock size.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,871 Posts
I have the LTX MS/2 tires on my 2006 Pilot. Very happy.

I have the LTX MS tires on my 2008 RL. Very happy.

I tried the LTX AT/2 tire but could not get them to balance. But otherwise I liked them and wanted to stick with them due to the more aggressive and deeper tread (13/32 vs 11/32 for the OEM). I didn't find them to be much more noisy than the OEM MS tire. They did seem a bit more squirrelly than the OEM tire, but not objectionably so.

I have never had any issue with dry rot or sidewall cracking in my Michelins. Perhaps it's an environmental thing... I dunno.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E in pewter pacific metallic
2,605 Posts
You may want to read an article in the latest Consumer Report dealing with all season and winter snow tires. Since you have an important job that requires you to absolutely be there, I'd consider 2 sets of tires.

My job requires that I'm "out there" in all kinds of weather and for many years now I have winter tires and all season for the rest to the year. Consumer's made it very clear in all the vehicles they tested that there was no comparison using all season and winter/ snow tires in the winter.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the LTX MS/2 tires on my 2006 Pilot. Very happy.

I have the LTX MS tires on my 2008 RL. Very happy.

I tried the LTX AT/2 tire but could not get them to balance. But otherwise I liked them and wanted to stick with them due to the more aggressive and deeper tread (13/32 vs 11/32 for the OEM). I didn't find them to be much more noisy than the OEM MS tire. They did seem a bit more squirrelly than the OEM tire, but not objectionably so.

I have never had any issue with dry rot or sidewall cracking in my Michelins. Perhaps it's an environmental thing... I dunno.

I think it's down between the M/S and the AT/2. I want something that's a little more aggressive but not overly aggressive. I'm not doing any hard core off-roading. Just want something a little better for driving on dirt and fields.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just bought a set of Cooper SRX tires for a variety of reasons. They are $40 cheaper per tire than Michelins. They are a well designed tire. I think that Michelins are a great tire but I didn't like the dry rot and cracking issue that I have had. I've had the tires for a week, they are very quiet and smooth riding. Excellent traction. Check them out here http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Sport-Utility/Discoverer-SRX.aspx If you do a quick search they get plenty a great reviews.

Also check this out for tire rankings:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/03/what-brands-make-the-best-tires/index.htm

I spent $900 for a full set with TPMS, mounting, alignment and taxes at Mavis. The service was prompt, professional and extremely quick.
I just got a set of Cooper SRXs too, but not exactly by choice. I had a set of Cooper CTS tires on my truck for just under a year and about 9,000-ish miles that developed a 3-4 inch long split in the sidewall of one of the fronts, and had small cracks developing in the same area on both rears. Since the CTS line is discontinued, Cooper replaced them with the SRXs prorated for a total of about $75 dollars out of my pocket (after the mail-in rebate). I really hope these hold up better than the CTSs did. If I didn't have such good luck with Cooper ATs over the last few years, I probably would swear Cooper off. The SRXs look like they will be great in wet weather and hopefully will be decent in light snow. On the highway, they ride great. I drove to Maryland from NE PA and back with them and managed to get 20mpg.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline EX-L Canadian
1,600 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Michelin LTX M/S are oem tires. The LTX M/S2 are a different tire and not directly comparable. Overall, they are reported to be better tires than our OEM LTX's. They are also not available in the stock size for the Ridgeline's with 17" wheels. I do believe they have a stock size fitment for the 18" wheeled Ridgelines. . .

Hope you find someone with the Ridgeline specific experience you are looking for. . ..
I would go with the M/S2 in one size bigger.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts

Rain; not one problem.

i have Hankooks RF10's on my Ridge, they were decent in snow but as they wore they seem to get louder, If I were you I would buy a new set of the oem tires, they were real good in snow for the 1st two years I had them. But if you want good traction in snow look at dedicated snow tires, I bought Hakapellita's for my wifes Subaru last winter and it made 100% difference in winter driving, I feel with the snows on that car is much better than my Ridge.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
You may want to read an article in the latest Consumer Report dealing with all season and winter snow tires. Since you have an important job that requires you to absolutely be there, I'd consider 2 sets of tires.

My job requires that I'm "out there" in all kinds of weather and for many years now I have winter tires and all season for the rest to the year. Consumer's made it very clear in all the vehicles they tested that there was no comparison using all season and winter/ snow tires in the winter.
Yep. Check out this video using Ridgelines to compare AT tires to winter tires.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1057538&postcount=4

1 - 20 of 69 Posts