Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am trying to figure out which vech. to buy. It is hard to buy a mid size truck at the same price I can buy a full size one.

I am 6'6" and #290 and was curious about the leg room. I had plenty in the drivers seat but had to move the seat foward before I could get in the back seat behind the drivers seat, but could still manage. I would call it a four passenger rig with people my size in it.

I like the MPG you get, and the bed trunk. I test drove an RTS yesterday and liked the start off power, but at 70 mph you could tell it was not as powerful as my 4.3 v-6 chev. Better MPG leads to a little less somewhere.

I found this forum last week searching for info. on the Ridgeline and it has helped alot on my knowledge. I even hit the salesman up on the online parts price and got the towing package and installed to $600 and $500 over invoice on the Ridgeline. I listened for wind noise but none in this 520,000 something vin #. I explained the windshield installation changed at 516,000 vin number and I think I got his respect on my knowledge of this vehicle and after market locations and the Honda online acc. location and prices.

I have two accords with 150,000 plus miles and they just keep on going, so my interest in the Ridgeline is high, but the price is tough to take.

I will wait and see if they come out with incentives as the article talked about today in a forum. That may be all it would take to get me to bite.

I liked the RTL, but with two kids in college, and a firefighter's budget, I am really having to look at the high price and may opt to a cheaper payment.

I want the RTS, but the price seems to high to justify. I will see in the future if Honda comes out with something to help me say yes. I have a couple of months till I pay my van off and then see which way I go. Maybe Honda will want to boost thier sales and intice some. That is all it would take with me.

Thanks for all the good info. We will see in a couple months which way I go.

Doug H
 
L

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
dharlan said:
Well I am trying to figure out which vech. to buy. It is hard to buy a mid size truck at the same price I can buy a full size one.

I am 6'6" and #290 and was curious about the leg room. I had plenty in the drivers seat but had to move the seat foward before I could get in the back seat behind the drivers seat, but could still manage. I would call it a four passenger rig with people my size in it.

I like the MPG you get, and the bed trunk. I test drove an RTS yesterday and liked the start off power, but at 70 mph you could tell it was not as powerful as my 4.3 v-6 chev. Better MPG leads to a little less somewhere.

I found this forum last week searching for info. on the Ridgeline and it has helped alot on my knowledge. I even hit the salesman up on the online parts price and got the towing package and installed to $600 and $500 over invoice on the Ridgeline. I listened for wind noise but none in this 520,000 something vin #. I explained the windshield installation changed at 516,000 vin number and I think I got his respect on my knowledge of this vehicle and after market locations and the Honda online acc. location and prices.

I have two accords with 150,000 plus miles and they just keep on going, so my interest in the Ridgeline is high, but the price is tough to take.

I will wait and see if they come out with incentives as the article talked about today in a forum. That may be all it would take to get me to bite.

I liked the RTL, but with two kids in college, and a firefighter's budget, I am really having to look at the high price and may opt to a cheaper payment.

I want the RTS, but the price seems to high to justify. I will see in the future if Honda comes out with something to help me say yes. I have a couple of months till I pay my van off and then see which way I go. Maybe Honda will want to boost thier sales and intice some. That is all it would take with me.

Thanks for all the good info. We will see in a couple months which way I go.

Doug H
WOW Doug, tall Fire Fighter. No need for a ladder with you around!! :D
Welcome and we are ALL looking forward to hearing back from you. Many of us, including myself are fire fighters, medical people and cops. I am sure the list is very diversified when it comes to careers from what I hear from my ROC family members. YOU NEED THIS TRUCK. Keep reading and keep coming back and we'll help you decide that it will be the best vehicle you have ever owned and loved. TRUST ME and the other 1K plus members. ( of which most own a Silver Ridgeline ) :D hehehe I had to sneak that in there. We'll look forward to your next post whether you purchased or not.. Keep coming back!!
J.C. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
It's my guess if Honda does anything about rebates or the kind of deals that the Big Two (three) are doing they will do it by working with the dealers. X numbers of dollers per unit and who knows just how much that will or is. I understand the dealers are getting at least $1000 per Ridgeline below invoice. That's what I read anyway.

I think you will have to keep up to date at ROC with what is going on in this area. There are dealers out there that will deal so just be patient but don't count on a big $3000 off the price up front. It may be the dealer though.

I've got just over 18,000 miles on mine and it's a great TRUCK.

Good luck shopping.

Tiger
 
L

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Tiger said:
It's my guess if Honda does anything about rebates or the kind of deals that the Big Two (three) are doing they will do it by working with the dealers. X numbers of dollers per unit and who knows just how much that will or is. I understand the dealers are getting at least $1000 per Ridgeline below invoice. That's what I read anyway.

I think you will have to keep up to date at ROC with what is going on in this area. There are dealers out there that will deal so just be patient but don't count on a big $3000 off the price up front. It may be the dealer though.

I've got just over 18,000 miles on mine and it's a great TRUCK.

Good luck shopping.

Tiger
Don't forget the shopping list!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,010 Posts
Look, if you have the cash buy this truck. If you don't you'll be sorry in the long run - I promise. Don't worry about a few hundred here or there down the road. Buy it now and enjoy it now. You will never regret the purchase.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Go Ridgeline!!!!!!!!! First vehicle I have really enjoyed! The perfect trunk for your SCOTT Airpack and other gear.
Oh yeah, once you forkover the money, give'em the extra few k for the fully loaded with navigation!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have to stay in a budget and stay with the RTS with the towing package. I would like all the goodies in the RTL, but I will be happy with the RTS. The RTL is out of monthly budget range. It will beat my 82 Ford 4x4 8-10 MPG for sure.

I am watching the MPG closely that everyone is posting, as that is a big factor in selling the overall high price for this mid size truck, over a full size for me. I am probably a little older then most posting and just haft to reason and justify the expense. Yes, I like the Ridgeline, the Honda duability but 30K is a lot of $. I have not had a new Vech. since the new 1978 F-150 4x4 I got right before I got married. It's been family priority since, but ole Dad is getting a itchy finger for him a new one these days. Oct. will be 26 years of marriage and the boss has give me the green light for a new ride, but I haft to pay for it as usual, so I taking my time and looking hard.

I had a concern for the passing speed (lack of it), but that may have been answered by getting it to down shift before attempting a pass as someone else had stated on another post. I only depressed the pedal all the way to the floor with a very slow response. It was ugly, and I wondered how in the world anyone could pull anything, but at low speed it had plenty of power. I know in towing, it want be in 5th gear hence more power.

I have a concern for driving it on icy roads with some of the reviews saying that while in the mud of having to keep the button pushed in to keep from losing traction. I think Edmunds review are something like that.

Here in Arkansas we may have ice instead of snow and I drive about 40 miles one way to work and I am concerned if I can drive 35 MPH or so when I am the only vech. on the road on the way the Fire Station and it be like a 4x4. I see where one has posted it was better then his old F-150 in the snow, but at what speed. I feel good at 9 MPH or less but at 30 or so I have a concern. One posted he tried to pull through a snow bank but his tires slipped and when he ingauged the 4x4 it went right on through with no problem. I will use the 4X4 very little e.g. icy weather mainly, and a few bad holes on gravel roads Turkey, Deer and Duck hunting.

If these two concerns are answered, I will most likely have a Ridgeline in a month or two. 1. Highway MPH (actual) I know 10,000 may be better then even 5,000, but I wouild like to see the 21 to justify this truck over a full size, and 2. high speed 30-45 mph on icy roads and get a 4x4 like traction.

It will not be a cash deal rather a 72 month payment grind-you gotta do what you gotta do. I want it to last hence my interest in the Honda line. I don't plan to sell it, but keep it for many many years, unless I miss some game and black oil comes out of the ground, Jed style. I still have a few years before I can retire (22 years in now), so now would be a good time to get a truck and get it paid for.

Thanks for you replies. Doug Harlan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
484 Posts
4WD won't help you stop or steer at any speed, the advantage is the ability to not be stuck under slippery conditions. The VSA will help to the limits of traction on the ice/snow. The best bet is to not overdrive the conditions. The fire will still be burning if it takes you a few minutes more to get there, but if you crash on the way, the chief's got a second call to worry about and has to divide manpower to work a fire and an MVA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes sir, I know about the stopping. I think when I do buy, it will be the Ridgeline. I just shake my head at the amount of the monthly payments though. It just feels like it would be priced right about two to three thousand under invoice.

Thanks for the replies. Doug
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
dharlan said:
Yes sir, I know about the stopping. I think when I do buy, it will be the Ridgeline. I just shake my head at the amount of the monthly payments though. It just feels like it would be priced right about two to three thousand under invoice.

Thanks for the replies. Doug
If you read through this forum on any given thread, you will gain a sense of value you are getting with a Ridgeline!! I sometimes think I got away with cheating Honda and I paid MSRP!! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
I was a bit concerned about the price myself, but when I did my homework and compared what I am getting with Ridgeline to the competition dollar for a dollar future for future Ridgeline is a very good deal.

You are getting full set of airbags, VTM and stabilization control, Five speed auto transmission this of course, four wheel independent suspension and ABS in addition to Honda's quality and reliability.

I got RTL because I wanted Leather and Sunroof; also upgraded Stereo system was appealing to me. But if you don't need those RL or RTS will do.

Now, the power, I'm not sure where this infatuation with the size of the engine comes from. Bigger doesn't mean better, what is important is a transmission gear ratio and gear setting, than of course the torque.

I had driven Renault 5 with 80-horse power engine, which felt more powerful than many 150-horse power monsters. By the same token I had a Ford with 5-litter engine and 300-horse power it felt like driving a boat. The hesitation before you could accelerate was just awful, so what good all this power does when it takes a couple seconds before transmission picks a right gear, and the car will finally take off.

Ridgeline almost always feels like it is in right gear, this why the acceleration on this truck is great, even at 70 there is plenty of power left for acceleration and reaction to the gas pedal is very swift. Just don't be afraid to step on it.

There are many little things which make this truck a great choice, opening and closing windows with the key or remote, 10 seconds power off delay, dual climate control (on RTL), folding rear seats, of course the trunk future and many more 'little' things (like compass in the mirror or power rear window) which just make sense and make this truck special.

Then of course there is something else, immeasurable, this truck is just fun to drive, I have never got too crazy about the car before, but there is something special about my Ridgeline, that I just like to sit in it and drive it, I had never had this feeling before in any of my cars.

If had to choose again without hesitation I would pick Ridgeline again.

Good luck with your decision, I hope this will help you to make a right one :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good reply. I have looked at all the little things and they do add up. Not having anything new since 1978, I think has me out of touch with todays numbers and what the big three are doing for buyers right now.

I am working a 48 hour shift and have read many hours of posting in between alarms/fires and a lot of good info. on here, I will take with me to the dealer when I bite the bullet.

I do have a question. Is the VIN #16000 or 516000 on the new process of installing the front windshield?

Thanks for your answer in advance. Doug
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
I work in law enforcement and I had the same questions about the Ridgeline as dharlan. Then I took one for a test drive. Twice. The payments put me off, too, but so did the repair bills and the price of gas for my '95 Dodge pickup. The service package the dealership offered me clenched the deal. I signed the papers, cleared out the Dodge and left it on the lot with the keys in the ignition.

At work I got the "why didn't you get a real truck? ribbing, but now there are at least seven other people in my dept that drive Ridgelines now!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I too lurked around this board before I bought an RTS 10 days ago. Couldn't be happier. Got it for $5,600 under sticker. Added up what comes standard on a RL and a Silverado cost more. I too thought I would miss a v8, but the Honda 6 gets me up the California on-ramps just fine.

Oh - the Steel Blue is the way to go: changes colors depending on the light. Blue-grey-silver to green. ;-)

BobM

Drove Ford PUs since 94 thought I would get a Chevy this time - ended up with a Honda.
 

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
Joined
·
1,412 Posts
Hi all--another noob here. I made the mistake of driving the Ridgeline at 2 different dealerships while shopping for my mom's Civic LX and decided I had to have one (especially with the huge incentives which are rare for Honda). Always considered them "homely" (I'm coming around:D ) but the beauty is in the details! Got out of an 06 Tacoma Dbl Cab Off Road 2wd, which was a great truck, but the ride was getting to me. I wanted 1 all around vehicle to tow with and drive in comfort.......Ridgeline. At 26K it was tough to beat.

Hope I don't miss the fuel economy and acceleration of the Tacoma too much (20 mpg average, 0-60 7.1 sec) but the ride and comfort on this vehicle are amazing! And a trunk. That sold me-I'll drive a tad slower and pay a bit more for gas!!

Guess I'd better put some miles on it before I make any comparisons--just have 40 miles on the Aberdeen green RTS. I'll be driving this weekend!

Like to say "Thanks" to this forum, because I did a LOT of reading here before I decided to take the plunge. Great place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Doug, I know what you mean about the payments. . . .I went from no payments on my 1996 Geo Metro :) to the Ridgeline. (i'm 6'1 290# so the metro was an interesting ride) anyway. . . i couldn't possibly be happier with the ride. i got mine for $28.6. . .getting about 17MPG thus far. the payments hurt, but no as much as i thought, as the truck eases the pain :)
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top