Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought what was advertised as an EX-L here in Canada but I actually see from the VIN # and carfax that it was the higher end cloth seat model.
Someone has re-done the entire inside, added heated seats and a sunroof (which I'll never even try to use) and it looks just like the fully loaded model.

I was trying to use the cruise control on the highway the other night and the green button lights up, but the steering wheel controls do not work.
The horn works great.
The stereo controls on the wheel aren't hooked up to the aftermarket dash head unit, so I can't comment on them.

Suggestions?

It's going to Honda next week to have the airbags done, so i figured if it's steering wheel related it's a good time to take care of it.,
Becasue the horn works, it's not the clockspring that is the issue right? A clock spring in canada is $181.
I'm thinking maybe the wiring in the steering wheel buttons isn't clicked in properly? Is a worn out switch likely? The steering wheel buttons are only $28.

Are there relays or fuses I can check?

Thanks!

·
Registered
121 Posts
This is probably related to your vtm4 problem-if vtm4 has issues i dont believe cruise can function- in fact if any check conditions exist cruise will usually be disabled

·
Super Moderator
6,855 Posts
Or it could be the clock spring cable reel, within the steering wheel. This allows the electronic circuits to work on a device which turns (steering wheel) one test is press the volume button when turning the wheel. My ‘06 RTS the cruise buttons seem to work now but the Radio controls only work when the steering wheel is turned about 30° to the left or 150° to the right.
So my suggestion is to press and hold the volume button when turning left or right and see if there’s a change in volume, if so I would suggest that you replace the clock spring cable reel or have it replaced.

I might not be remembering the correct part name but I am certain that @zroger73 will correct me when he sees this post. ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Or it could be the clock spring cable reel, within the steering wheel. This allows the electronic circuits to work on a device which turns (steering wheel) one test is press the volume button when turning the wheel. My ‘06 RTS the cruise buttons seem to work now but the Radio controls only work when the steering wheel is turned about 30° to the left or 150° to the right.
So my suggestion is to press and hold the volume button when turning left or right and see if there’s a change in volume, if so I would suggest that you replace the clock spring cable reel or have it replaced.

I might not be remembering the correct part name but I am certain that @zroger73 will correct me when he sees this post. ;)
After market deck isn't attached to the steering wheel buttons. Old owner cheap and didnt wanna pay the $150 for the module.
Horn works tho

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The damn thing is $181
They're doing my airbag recall on thursday so I can have it replaced if it NEEDS to be done, but eefffffff I don't want it to be that and the horn still works so doesn't that say that it's good still?

·
Super Moderator
6,855 Posts
They should be able to test/check, but you didn’t say you had an aftermarket HU, so yes it still might not work. My horn still works in any direction and like I said, I don’t have radio controls working on my RTS, but cruise controls still work also.

Maybe you could see if an auto electric repair shop could diagnose it for less, the part is about $63.92 per BernardiParts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They should be able to test/check, but you didn’t say you had an aftermarket HU, so yes it still might not work. My horn still works in any direction and like I said, I don’t have radio controls working on my RTS, but cruise controls still work also.

Maybe you could see if an auto electric repair shop could diagnose it for less, the part is about $63.92 per BernardiParts.
From previous reply:
After market deck isn't attached to the steering wheel buttons. Old owner was cheap and didn't wanna pay the $150 for the module. Le sigh.

·
Super Moderator
6,855 Posts
Well, then there is your answer @kerriliane

Need more information on the Aftermarket Stereo which you failed to mention in your first post. The part at most is $120 USD so maybe $150 CAD, but there are lower priced versions, including some Android HU's which don't need any controller/adapter (per previous forum posts/discussions) Search "Joying"

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, then there is your answer @kerriliane

Need more information on the Aftermarket Stereo which you failed to mention in your first post. The part at most is $120 USD so maybe $150 CAD, but there are lower priced versions, including some Android HU's which don't need any controller/adapter (per previous forum posts/discussions) Search "Joying"
My original post says that "the stereo controls aren't hooked up with the after market dash. " Dash should be stereo but I don't have the edit option

It's a pioneer cmh2500 or something like that. The place it's from said it's $120 for the controller hookup, plus install, but I don't need it right now. Going to be spending $200 at least at Honda tomorrow for a diff fluid change and for them to see if they can figure out the cruise and VTM issue.

·
Super Moderator
6,855 Posts
Still think with the Cruise Control issue it's the Cable Reel. I hope your only doing the VTM Fluid as your in Canada and don't have access to any tools, otherwise, buy a gallon of fluid and the Drain washer, Fill washer if your critical on how exact you want this done, and DIY it for maybe $50, I've done it on my driveway without any ramp or jack necessary.

Break the fill bolt first then the drain bolt, oh and you'll need a fluid pump $5-$10 on various websites or autoparts stores. Maybe a 1/2hr job tops.

Absolutely missed the "Aftermarket Dash" as I took that trim that some of the G1's had. I'll edit that, now.

Good Luck...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Still think with the Cruise Control issue it's the Cable Reel. I hope your only doing the VTM Fluid as your in Canada and don't have access to any tools, otherwise, buy a gallon of fluid and the Drain washer, Fill washer if your critical on how exact you want this done, and DIY it for maybe $50, I've done it on my driveway without any ramp or jack necessary.

Break the fill bolt first then the drain bolt, oh and you'll need a fluid pump $5-$10 on various websites or autoparts stores. Maybe a 1/2hr job tops.

Absolutely missed the "Aftermarket Dash" as I took that trim that some of the G1's had. I'll edit that, now.

Good Luck...
HAhahaahaa I mean maybe the dash bid aftermarket too 🙈
Someone in the past 12 years took out the entire interior that was cloth and replaced it with the full leather interior with the heated seats and everything so it looks like a fully loaded model but it's not so I mean there's probably a lot of crap in here that shouldn't be in here..

Also, Honda is doing the VTM change as it may never have been done. I have no records of it. Last owner didn't do it and he put 20,000 miles on it, and the owner before him kept all receipts and there's no receipt for it there either. They said it's $98 so I'm just doing it.

They're doing the airbag, maybe they'll be able to see if cable reel is bad while in there. I'm going to see if I can find one for less than $181 tho if it is that

·
Super Moderator
6,855 Posts
$98 CAD, I might drive to Canada for that price ;), it's typically $199 here in California, I've even seen $229 & heard of $249...

I would hope that they can inspect it as a "good will gesture" and may have some test methods. I'll check the FSM and see if there are any tests for the Cable Reel.

so your original assessment of EX-L it could be a lower trim, is the steering wheel a leather one? Wondering if they (owner who upgraded everything), changed out the steering wheel?

I'd run the Vin on the Honda website and check what trim level you actually have.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
S
$98 CAD, I might drive to Canada for that price ;), it's typically $199 here in California, I've even seen $229 & heard of $249...

I would hope that they can inspect it as a "good will gesture" and may have some test methods. I'll check the FSM and see if there are any tests for the Cable Reel.

so your original assessment of EX-L it could be a lower trim, is the steering wheel a leather one? Wondering if they (owner who upgraded everything), changed out the steering wheel?

I'd run the Vin on the Honda website and check what trim level you actually have.
Nah I checked today after learning about the difference in steering wheels between RLS and higher trim
It's a plastic wheel. I kinda want the leather one and have someone who's sending me the control box for the vtm as well as an instrument cluster in kph ... Might get the steering wheel too if I don't need a puller to get it out

1 - 16 of 16 Posts