Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
As a small general construction company owner I m looking to buy used first generation Ridgeline truck with 80K - 150K miles on odometer (probably from 2008 -2012).
I've read good reviews about this vehicle and was wandering if you can help me to answer few questions:
How reliable are those 10-12 years old Honda trucks ?
Any particular year I should stay away from ?
What areas I should look into when I find one ?
Is Navigation system useful ( I mean rear view camera when backing up ) ?

Thank you very much guys.

IL

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,375 Posts
In my opinion, there are three big things to look for. Some 2006-2008 had a bad cylinder issue, all model years suffer from SMOD--corrosion and then failure of lower-radiator fitting that make the transmission and coolant system to mix that create a catastrophic engine.failure--and timing belt replacements (every 100,000 miles or 60,000 miles if used to tow). There are other things but these are the big one, in my opinion. So examine the service records of these Ridgelines and if the radiator is near 10 years old, you should replace it.

Having the backup camera is nice but not necessary; visibility in the 2006-2014 Ridgeline (the Gen1) is excellent.

If you care about fuel economy, look at the 2012-2014 model years and if any of the Gen1s have 100,000 miles or more, look for records of or have a valve adjustment performed; they get really tight and will affect your fuel efficiency if not adjusted.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,135 Posts
Very Early ’06 are missing the reverse lockout on the factory tow wiring before you purchase the 7/4 pin kit, an oversight in the production, if I recall correctly it was resolved about Aug/Sept ‘05, considering I purchased in Jun ‘05 I have this issue but have not resolved it

‘09 Produced in Canada are Holy Grail, just buy if found

‘12 had the last tweets for MPG, engine and under body.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,131 Posts
I have used a GenI for family hauling AND renovation type construction since 2005. Its an excellent tool and material hauler . . .

GenI's as a whole are very reliable. You should plan on swapping out the radiator to avoid SMOD issues. Having owned, both a pre and post 2009 GenI, I would suggest a post 2009 mostly due to improvements in fuel economy and highway performance. I believe that due to fed regulations Honda had to put a back up camera on the Ridge starting in 13. That means all trims have a camera at that point. Prior models with navigation might have a camera but I don't know the specifics. The Navigation system is hugely outdated and I think you will be better off just using your phone. You could also add and aftermarket navi unit if you want something up to date.
Get yourself the lowest mileage Ridge you can afford, taking into account maintenance history. 105k miles is when the timing belt (tensioners too), water pump, spark plugs and valve adjustment will be due. Keep that in mind when you are considering prices.
Search the forum too. Your questions are hardly new.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had a 2006 prior to my 2018, my son now has my 2006 which has 132k on it. No issues other than some brake work and CV axels replaced. No radiator problems...

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,131 Posts
I had a 2006 prior to my 2018, my son now has my 2006 which has 132k on it. No issues other than some brake work and CV axels replaced. No radiator problems...
Read up on SMOD. A 2006 is a prime candidate for fitting failure and it would be a shame to risk the transmission. The concept is to AVOID a SMOD incident so radiators are replaced premtively.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts