Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new to the owner's club but loving my truck so far.

I really just wanted a quick guide of things to look for with a 2008 RTL mechanically. I've had it for about 3,000 miles at this point (got really lucky, and snagged an '08 with 66k miles). Everything is still running smoothly though I do experience a bit of the transmission confusion venturing out of the flat lands of FL and into TN.

So far, I've check all fluids and drain plugs, everything seems in perfect condition. I've also checked the radiator connections since I still have the original radiator, and those seems sturdy and clear of corrosion. (I dreaded the possibility of transmission damage due to the misuse of different metals)

Thanks you in advance for any guidance.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,407 Posts
Congrats on your new ride. Sounds like you found a great RL.

It also sounds like your having some very typical RL issues, the drain & fill method over a few days, or weeks or how ever you wish to do it may clear up the transmissions confusion.

As for the dissimilar metal issue, I really suggest a fluid test of both coolant & ATF, and do that at the start of the D&F's for the transmission. I really believe the failure is obvious internally before it's visible externally.

Post a picture, because "otherwise it didn't happen":D

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,078 Posts
Do you have any maintenance history on the truck from before you bought it? As most everyone here will tell you, the biggest point of "what to look out for" on these trucks is the fluid maintenance. Besides engine oil, the tranny fluid, rear diff (VTM-4) fluid, front transfer case gear lube, brake fluid and power steering need to be regularly changed. The maintenance schedule is on here somewhere. If there's any doubt if these fluids were changed, I'd go ahead and do them. Note that there is no interval stated for the power steering fluid. At every oil change, I suck out the reservoir and fill with fresh fluid. This method will keep fresh fluid in the system and prevent you from having to do an entire system flush down the road. I'd also recommend swapping out the intake air filter and the cabin air filter. They're inexpensive and very easy to change yourself. Speaking of that, maintenance on this truck is incredibly easy and can be done on your own. You'll save a pile of money doing this and you'll know it's done properly. Congrats on your new-to-you truck and welcome to the ROC.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Log onto Honda Owners Link for any maintenance records or recall actions performed.

Congrats on your New-To-You RL!:act035:

·
Registered
979 Posts
Congrats on your purchase & Welcome to the ROC!

Ian covered my thoughts... change all of your fluids so you have your own known baseline for future maintenance intervals.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I've also checked the radiator connections since I still have the original radiator, and those seems sturdy and clear of corrosion. (I dreaded the possibility of transmission damage due to the misuse of different metals)

Thanks you in advance for any guidance.
Welcome to the ROC! The radiator issue stems from corrosion that starts internally, so you cannot rule it out with a non-destructive inspection. You should go ahead and replace it anyway. It's cheap insurance. Just amortise the cost over the next 5-7 years of ownership if you are reluctant about cost.

·
Registered
10,078 Posts
Welcome to the ROC! The radiator issue stems from corrosion that starts internally, so you cannot rule it out with a non-destructive inspection. You should go ahead and replace it anyway. It's cheap insurance. Just amortise the cost over the next 5-7 years of ownership if you are reluctant about cost.
Just as an FYI, a good aftermarket radiator can be bought online for about $150. Preferred brands are Koyorad, Spectra and Silla. A dealership will typically charge you about $250 to remove the old one, dispose of it and install the new one with fresh fluid. So, for $400, it's very cheap insurance against a catastrophic transmission failure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all the tips and advice everyone. Going to embark on a drain & fill of all the fluids soon, and look into getting a new radiator to avoid any future problems.

As far as a previous maintenance history, the book was rather empty except for an entry at about the 45k mark. Pretty much just an oil change and filter replacements.

I'll be back with any out of the ordinary findings. Thanks again!

·
Registered
10,078 Posts
The 45k service was probably tranny fluid and rear diff fluid, but you can't really assume that. With the mileage being so low, you won't have to do a full change of the tranny fluid (four drains and fills). If you put about $200 into fluids and filters and do the work yourself, you'll be in really great shape. If you put $400 more into it for the radiator, you'll be able to go quite a long time before anything major is needed. Just stay on top of the fluid maintenance, keep good records and enjoy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts