Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
January 2018 build, Jan 2019 purchase, 11600km ( 7200 miles ) whining noise noticed when idling. 6 hrs in Honda with 5 techs, new trans ordered, about 1.2 days labour.

Must admit bit disappointed, but life goes on......

·
Super Moderator
12,790 Posts
Until or unless vehicles become perfect, we will continue to need warranties. :)

Did they say exactly what component(s) failed?

Did they determine or suspect a cause of failure?

Have you ever towed anything? If so, how much and how often?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Upon they're diagnosis they must have ruled out all other options. Its probably easier just to remove and replace the transmission due to the low kms and in service date.

Not sure if they will strip the existing trans to find out the cause, probably not worth they're time and effort. But I will follow up in a few weeks to see if any news is available.

Never towed anything. I will ensure that I get a new transmission, and not a refurbished one.............this will be my next call on Monday

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was informed today that if there is an transmission exchange it will be a new one. But this "change out" will be noted and certainly devalue the vehicle upon exchange in the future for another.

Not sure if it gets logged on CARFAX or not, but has to be disclosed to future buyers of this vehicle.

I've contacted Honda Canada including my local dealership to do some sort of deal to exchange my current truck for a new one ( late build 2019 ). Dealership will help as much as they can their end so now waiting for Honda Canada to see what they can "kick in" so hopefully we can do a deal.

Since ownership from January 19th 2019, I've noted "ten deficient items" on the truck, the last one being the transmission.

Best part is ....is that I really like the truck, just not this one......

Let's see where it goes from here...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Your truck will be fixed under warranty. That should not affect the value. Transmission replacement under warranty does not indicate you were abusive.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its same for a collision, its only a hood, or a fender etc etc. Fixed under warranty with OE parts. It can put a lot of people off sinking 35k into something that's not original. There's plenty around so why buy one that's had to be fixed.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Warranty repairs and collision repairs are looked upon entirely differently by a subsequent buyer. A warranty repair is considered as reliable as if it came from the factory. Collision repairs are looked upon suspiciously because the entire vehicle is stressed by collision and the repair is not the same as the vehicle came from the factory.

·
Registered
3 Posts
January 2018 build, Jan 2019 purchase, 11600km ( 7200 miles ) whining noise noticed when idling. 6 hrs in Honda with 5 techs, new trans ordered, about 1.2 days labour.

Must admit bit disappointed, but life goes on......
Can you explain the noise and when it happens?
I'm in the US in NH with a 2019 RTL-E with 3k miles and have what sounds like 4,000 crickets noise when I stop at a stop light or stop sign. The already went through high pressure fuel pump and rear engine mount. I also have it happen around 27 mph and 1300-1500 rpm.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its a constant whine.......like a cat whine, always there and gets louder as you increase the rpm's. Have to have a closer look to see if I can see a tail or sumthin

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It took close to three weeks but I got my truck back last Friday, new trans works fine.
Probably changing up to a 19 model yr. In the midst of negotiations with local dealer and Honda. There's been too many repairs, adjustments, replacements, etc, etc
Honda offered an extended warranty till 160km,but I'm trying to get outta the truck and into a new one.

I was hoping for the new model timing but that could be Jan - March 2020

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
So did you have to pay any out of pocket and why. It should be under warranty the day you bought it or does that not count the tranny. Why did they offer and extended warranty when the one you get with the truck didnt cover?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've been driv
Wow, you are tolerant and forgiving. I'd be one and done.
You have to do the best of the situation that's put in front of you. Patience and understanding the system pays off. Honda Canada is kicking in a nice sum along with my imput to get into a new 2019 model within the next few days. Nothing's perfect, even the rental GMC I had for three weeks had its own issues, this is now the way of the world......and what to expect

1 - 20 of 25 Posts