Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a test. Only a test.

First images captured by a used Olympus Pen EPL-1. Before committing to more advanced digital cameras, thought I'd try out something used first. So far, is seems like a decent e-bay find.

Lot's of learning ahead. In the meantime, shots below were processed thru Olympus software, grabbed during early morning coffee and a quick stop on the way to work.

Looking north/east across the Escondido valley towards Palomar Mountain - which is hidden in the morning mist off to the left.
Test1.jpg

Test2.jpg

Poor perspective, but this is standing near the San Diegito river looking directly west. Interstate 5 is dead ahead, The Del Mar Fair Grounds just beyond and beyond that is some prime ocean front real estate. The race track grand stands are middle right, south city limit of Solana Beach to the north, the hill rising on the left is Del Mar. You can almost see Lucy & Desi's place from here. :)

Test3.jpg

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Our birds are singing (not coughing) and the grass is greener way over yonder on the gulf coast.
Another witty saying of the local redneck: Hey y'all, watch this!

Image stolen from the net using a $40 Walmart mouse.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Nice shots OhSix! I've been a Nikon shooter since '81 and am fortunate that I can buy Nikon's latest and greatest through work. But I've also been shooting with the Fuji X-T1 cameras for the past year or so, mirrorless cameras offer a lot of bang for the buck and may very well replace DSLRs in a few years.

Couple of thoughts that might help your workflow, I'm a huge fan of PhotoMechanic for importing, keywording and editing each shoot down to the 'keepers'. Once I've distilled my shoot down to a handful I want to work on, I switch gears to Lightroom. I used to use Nikon NX2 software which was created in collaboration with Nik software and it is awesome, but Nik and Nikon had a falling out and the software won't work with Nikon's newest camera's RAW files. :( I only recently switched over to Lightroom and I've got a lot to learn still, but I'm getting the hang of it (try the 'dehaze' filter, I'm thinking it would really make the photos above 'pop'). You can get Lightroom and Photoshop as a monthly subscription for $9.99 a month, a bargain if ever there was one. Lastly, download and install the Nik Collection, you can run it as a stand alone or as a plug-in in Photoshop. Google bought Nik software about a year ago and I had high hopes that they would take it to the next level, but Google wasn't able to turn the profits from the software they were hoping for, so now they give it away for free. This is actually a bad thing, since it means the current version of the Nik Collection is almost certainly the last version that will be produced, unless someone buys it from Google.

Lastly, shoot RAW and try editing both .jpg and raw files from your Olympus. You will find that each type of file has certain advantages and disadvantages, so having both to choose from is really helpful.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Nice shots OhSix! I've been a Nikon shooter since '81 and am fortunate that I can buy Nikon's latest and greatest through work. But I've also been shooting with the Fuji X-T1 cameras for the past year or so, mirrorless cameras offer a lot of bang for the buck and may very well replace DSLRs in a few years.

Couple of thoughts that might help your workflow, I'm a huge fan of PhotoMechanic for importing, keywording and editing each shoot down to the 'keepers'. Once I've distilled my shoot down to a handful I want to work on, I switch gears to Lightroom. I used to use Nikon NX2 software which was created in collaboration with Nik software and it is awesome, but Nik and Nikon had a falling out and the software won't work with Nikon's newest camera's RAW files. :( I only recently switched over to Lightroom and I've got a lot to learn still, but I'm getting the hang of it (try the 'dehaze' filter, I'm thinking it would really make the photos above 'pop'). You can get Lightroom and Photoshop as a monthly subscription for $9.99 a month, a bargain if ever there was one. Lastly, download and install the Nik Collection, you can run it as a stand alone or as a plug-in in Photoshop. Google bought Nik software about a year ago and I had high hopes that they would take it to the next level, but Google wasn't able to turn the profits from the software they were hoping for, so now they give it away for free. This is actually a bad thing, since it means the current version of the Nik Collection is almost certainly the last version that will be produced, unless someone buys it from Google.

Lastly, shoot RAW and try editing both .jpg and raw files from your Olympus. You will find that each type of file has certain advantages and disadvantages, so having both to choose from is really helpful.
Thanks for the Pro Tips Robert! You just compressed the learning curve by 40% without loss of fidelity! :)

Long ago, a nice 35mm Olympus kit was stolen out of my vehicle, along with tools and a very nice Spectron amp rack and audio goodies. Right from my driveway! In dissolution, I abandoned the hobby of photography. Since then, the evolution of smart phones ahs kept me stuck in convenience. It’s a whole lotta fun to dip toes in the water again.

This step into digital beyond cell phone camera has been an eye opener. 36Mb image files? Holy byte hogs! And I had no idea what a RAW file was or that it required SW tools other than standard issue P.C. O.S. applications to process. As a hardware nut, I'm already looking into lenses and stuff. Here comes the OCD flood. The 4/3 format seems pretty cool so far, although my fat hands fumble a bit with control placement and basic feature navigation.

I’m still stuck in analog, so rely on the camera for visual effects. The digital world is definitely gonna take some acclimation time. Filters, effects, masks, MAN!

Couple of remedial depth of field experiments using manual mode on the PEN in RAW and compressed to .jpg

Green.jpg

Green1.jpg

Green2.jpg

Console1.jpg

Thanks again for the tips!

Thumbs-Up-1-copy.jpg

·
Registered
66 Posts
I’m still stuck in analog, so rely on the camera for visual effects. The digital world is definitely gonna take some acclimation time. Filters, effects, masks, MAN!
I have this problem as well, but I also wasn't well educated in the analog world either. I feel kind of blind and stuck on "auto" on my DSLR.

I've found a happy medium by having a full-frame DSLR and using adapters so I can use my old Canon and Minolta mount lenses. This also means buying lenses on ebay, which is a gamble, but significantly cheaper. They give a good feel of nostalgia when I often feel like a 'faker' using my camera.

I've tried more expensive software for editing photos, but, again, I feel like I'm cheating? I expect to take a photo and if it's no good, then I've missed an opportunity and need to learn how to adjust my camera settings more.

Ah the wonders of the modern world :smile:

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Haven't been picking up the DSLR lately (sincerely verklempt about it), not since attaching an anamorphic lens (MoonDog Labs) on my iPhone 7+. Tallulah George State Park in Georgia last month:

And then this one 2 doors down at my neighbor's looking down from his pool:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I mainly shoot larger Canon DSLR stuff (5D Mark III, 60D) but I also have an olympus kit that I really like. I have both the OMD EM5 Mark 2, original OMD EM5, and an Olympus Air. All three cameras are really nice.

You should be able to pick up the original OMD EM5 fairly inexpensively used since the Mark 2 has been out a few years. You will find it quite a bit better than the EPL-1...of which I also have one now that I think of it. If you have shot Olympus 35mm or Nikon 35mm for that matter, the controls will feel pretty familiar.

If you haven't looked at the Air, you might look at that as a backup/utility body. It is about the size of a tele extender, but contains the same size sensor as the OMD EM5-2. It has no screen, but can connect to your cell phone using wireless and bluetooth and you can use the cell screen as a view finder. But the Air can also operate independently for either stills or video. I have put a RAM ball mount on it and attached it to a bike to ride around a bit, and the video is very much on par with anything that I have seen from Go Pro. And it has the same Micro 4/3rds lens mount as the OMD's so you can use all those lenses with it. Anyway, is a pretty neat piece of kit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts