Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently posted about my #4 Cylinder going bad, my mechanic took it apart and says I can replace the short block and not the whole engine and it will run fine.

would you guys agree with this statement?

if so, where can I find a short block that doesn't cost me an eye and an ear?
most of the ones I have come across are $1500+ and I found a couple on ebay but they only sell the shell. a used engine runs about $2000+ + Labor & my mechanic says if I get the short block the labor will run me around $450

any suggestion/help/advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you guys/girls

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
So I recently posted about my #4 Cylinder going bad, my mechanic took it apart and says I can replace the short block and not the whole engine and it will run fine.

would you guys agree with this statement?

if so, where can I find a short block that doesn't cost me an eye and an ear?
most of the ones I have come across are $1500+ and I found a couple on ebay but they only sell the shell. a used engine runs about $2000+ + Labor & my mechanic says if I get the short block the labor will run me around $450

any suggestion/help/advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you guys/girls
If you can get a short block with labor for the same price as a whole used engine installed, go with the short block for sure. BUT make sure your mechanic has verified your heads are fine before you make that decision. How many miles on your current engine?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my current engine has about 180k Miles and yes he has verified the heads are in good working condition.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Well, as long as they are off, you might want to get the heads done ("valve job"), given that high mileage. Not "necessary", but with a new short block, you'll be good for another 200K easy. Now if you only plan to put another 50K miles on her (for example), the current heads will probably be just fine.... but be SURE your mechanic does a valve adjustment on them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts