Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody installed the new triton led bulb system in our ridgelines yet replacing the front turn signals? Or any personal experience with the product itself. The quality of materials and finished look is impressive! Online at least. Lol.
I want to order the 6k white/amber switchbacks with the new load resistor you can buy that doesn't require splicing or soldering, just plug and play with the triton only.? Can somebody briefly explain the process of installing these in place of the old turn signals. I know we need the 3157 housing adapter but does this simply screw in where the old turn signal housing is without any modifications? Then screw in the triton with the new resistor that doesn't require splicing or soldering? It just seems to simple to be all plug and play like this.
The price is steep for around 140 but i am willing to pay because of the quality the product appears to be and final look as long as nothing else is involved besides unscrewing and screwing in the new one.
Please help somebody!

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
OK, maybe I'm dense. You're right: I don't have a clue what these are. I have LEDs in my brake lights and rear turn signals, and they cost about $25 per unit, if I recall correctly. I also have the necessary resistors installed for the turn signals, and everything works perfectly. But these Tritons are over $100 per. What do they do that my present LEDs don't? I'm really not putting these down, just struggling to understand what they do differently. Help me out here. I'm pretty sure I am misunderstanding something critical to this discussion.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm wasn't trying to offend... Thanks for actually trying to help like nobody else cared to do!
The switchbacks are 150 for the pair. They turn from white to amber when u use the turn signal. These lights themselves are a sort of projector. I have other led's as well and these seem to focus the light well as well as being just as bright as others. Basically, as well as looking good, I want then to e functional in actually projecting light forward.
The load resistors you used for ur led's, you obviously had to splice and solder and find a place to mount them carefully because they get extremely hot. The plug an play resistor that comes with these just look more convenient.
I looked on eBay and they have "projector like" led's similar to these that switch from white to amber for around 60$ but the quality of everything from eBay is questionable and like I said, I have other led's from eBay. I was thinking along the lines that paying an extra 50-100$ for a far superior product that uses quality parts from a reputable company is worth the extra money. Nothing on eBay can compare to these in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
no offense taken, believe me. I really am just trying to figure out these devices. NOW, since my RL has separate running lights and turn signals, why would I want to have these lights go from white to amber? my turn signal just turns on, and turns off when I use the turn signal, nothing fancy.

I bought my LEDs from superbrightleds.com, and they have very simple resistors - no soldering needed. Just clamped them in parallel across the turn signal leads. I did have to make sure the resistors were not touching plastic, but that was very, very easy. When I found a position, then I just dropped a touch of "Shoe Goo" adhesive to the resistor wires (well away from the resistor body itself), and they held in place nicely, with the resistor itself touching nothing.

We are fortunate with the RL that the front turn signal has a clear lens. If it was amber, like many vehicles, then both the white light and the amber light would still show up as amber. The yellow lens would filter out all wavelengths of light other than the amber. But it might work in the RL, because Honda does not use an amber lens.

So I can percieve your excitement about these things, but in my own mind I have a hard time justifying the cost, when a $25 LED seems to work very well. Again, maybe I am missing something.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea i understand what you're saying. Just looking for something different and i need to have an amber color for a turn signal but i want to have the white on when i use my headlights or when im using the parking lights driving around. Northeastern Pennsylvania. scranton/wilkes-barre area

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
I suspect you would need to do some rewiring. I don't think there is any stock provision for the light to remain on between turn signal activation.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe I explained it not so well. My 2006 has two bulbs in the headlight assembly. The headlight bulbs and the turn signal bulbs. The turn signal bulbs are amber stock and turn on when 1) you have your headlights on 2) when you activate the turn signals and 3) when you manually turn the knob to the parking lights.
The switchback led's that are available on eBay and these that I'm talking about just replace the those amber halogen bulbs. The only thing that is required is the load resistor to prevent the hyper flash. I have amber led projector bulbs in there currently without a load resistor. I like driving around with the parking lights on which is basically the daytime running lights for cars that don't have them in my opinion.
That's why I care about getting the switchback version. In pa the turn signal bulb has to be amber colored. But I want those same bulbs to be white while I have my headlights on or the parking light selection on the knob. You see what I'm saying now?
I could just get these triton led's in white, they only cost 99$ but my turn signal would only be white than.
Hope I cleared that up

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The switchback function for the led's that have it and turn from white to amber only when the saturn signal is activated don't require any customizing. However it works, it's just built into it. Just plug the bulb in and it automatically has the switchback function. Nothing else required. My buddy has them in his truck(not ridgeline) without the load resistor. So he has the hyper flash but it still works like explained in the previous post.
I could go with the cheaper ones on eBay but these just look better. And I found out about v LEDs from this website because a lot of people have talked about them on here. That's why I assumed a lot of people would have replied back about this.
Ia also emailed v LEDs about the triton LEDs and the plug and play resistor. They told me that everything is 100% plug and play from the bulb adapt housing to the resistor. They really look like a nice premium option and I'm surprised nobody on here has scooped them up yet!

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
OK. if you decide to get and install these, how about doing a short video with your phone and posting it here on the forum. I would love to see how they look. BTW, thanks for being patient with me during all this discussion. It seems this has been only a two person chat, since nobody else ventured in.

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
I think 75 a piece is a bit pricey for switchbacks. Have you looked around at some of the other vendors? I am looking at them for my vette and 75 is about the price for both.

Just trying to save you some coin!

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Anyone install these TRITON bulbs with built-in resistors yet? The only bulbs I haven't messed with are teh headight/fogs/and DRL's. I really want to get rid of the yellow lights I have up front.

·
Registered
105 Posts
OK, I'm in the same boat as the OP...except I have a running light out (the turn works fine). I'm not terribly interested in the white forward facing parking light - wouldn't it be too bright at night?

I did look at these, but wasn't able to see enough benefit to justify the high cost. I'd be happy w/ just plain amber parking/turn signals, and then modify the flasher resistor, rather than adding resistors at each lamp.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts