Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
1. There IS a break-in procedure. It's outlined in the full Owner's Manual. Basically, don't floor it. accelerate suddenly, or tow for the first 600 miles. Don't brake hard for the first 200 miles.

2. Honda advises dealers not to change the oil until the Maintenance Minder prompts for an oil change. For the average driver, this occurs at approximately every 8,500 miles, but will vary depending on how the vehicle is driven.

3. Changing the oil prematurely may extend the time it takes for the engine to reach its peak efficiency and lowest amount of oil consumption.

You won't damage the vehicle by changing the oil early. The only damage is to your pocketbook and the environment.

There are dozens of threads on here and every other forum oversaturated with opinions and experiences about oil change intervals and the type of oil to use. Ridgeline owners on this very forum have exceeded 300,000 miles by changing the oil only when prompted by the Maintenance Minder and using inexpensive, bulk oil from dealerships. Oil analyses of owners' oil have confirmed that Honda's Maintenance Minder is more than adequate.
zroger73, I have read many of your posts concerning this issue and found you very knowledgable. My question is this. When I purchased my ridgeline I was not familiar with the MM. I have had a couple of oil changed at the dealer and they did not bother to tell me to just follow the MM and changed the oil. My understanding is having done this it has messed up the MM for future maintenance references and cannot be adjusted to where it will be current. Reading some of your previous posts am I correct that the following should be done at these approximate mileages if one has messed up the MM. Differential fluid at 15000 mile and again at 45000 mile. Transfer case and transmission around 45000 miles. Sorry if this is not exactly fo;;owing ths thread, but may be of help to others like myself.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,250 Posts
My understanding is having done this it has messed up the MM for future maintenance references and cannot be adjusted to where it will be current.
Do you know if the dealer actually reset the MM when they did the 'early' / 'off schedule' oil changes?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have changed my oil twice,once a year and had 40% left on the MM.The manual states when the MM comes on or once a year.I am driving the truck about 6K miles a year.
Is it ok to drive it past a year without changing the oil?It may take 16 months before the MM signals a oil change.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do you know if the dealer actually reset the MM when they did the 'early' / 'off schedule' oil changes?
I assume so. The oil life returned to 100%. Being that the dealer did it would that just reflect oil change only and not the other maintenance items?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I assume so. The oil life returned to 100%. Being that the dealer did it would that just reflect oil change only and not the other maintenance items?
IIRC @zroger73 has told us a MM reset is an all-or-nothing affair, but I'll now wait for him to make it back to comment on that and your original (IMO good) question.

·
Administrator
13,775 Posts
IIRC @zroger73 has told us a MM reset is an all-or-nothing affair, but I'll now wait for him to make it back to comment on that and your original (IMO good) question.
1. Resetting the Ridgeline's MM before the oil life reaches 15% resets only the oil life.

2. Resetting the Ridgeline's MM after the oil life reaches 15% resets all indicated maintenance items.

3. If the MM keeps getting reset before it reaches 15%, it will never have the opportunity to prompt for the other maintenance items.

4. Some Honda models allow owners to reset individual maintenance items. The 2017-2020 Ridgeline does not - a Honda scan tool is required.

If the oil is changed before prompted by the MM, document the mileage, but do NOT reset the MM. Instead, let it reach 15% so you can see what other maintenance items are due, perform them, then reset the MM.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I was always of the opinion to baby it and change the oil early with a new engine. Now Honda says to leave the oil in there for a year (I'm a low mileage driver). I really don't think it matters though. I remember in 1986 when my sister got a Prelude Si, her boyfriend (now husband) redlined it every gear and that engine was perfect when they got rid of it with 160k. Those were the days when Honda built some high quality stuff. That's the only car I ever drove that felt like it was wired to your inputs. Instant response, tight steering smooth and great brake feel. It didn't have a lot of pull though.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I was always of the opinion to baby it and change the oil early with a new engine. Now Honda says to leave the oil in there for a year (I'm a low mileage driver). I really don't think it matters though. I remember in 1986 when my sister got a Prelude Si, her boyfriend (now husband) redlined it every gear and that engine was perfect when they got rid of it with 160k. Those were the days when Honda built some high quality stuff. That's the only car I ever drove that felt like it was wired to your inputs. Instant response, tight steering smooth and great brake feel. It didn't have a lot of pull though.
My guess is that Honda wants you to leave that dirty oil in the engine longer so that it can help scrub in the components... sort of a controlled "engine-wearing" process that will help to break-in the engine quicker (remember years ago when you were told not to use synthetic oil during break-in because it wasn't 'dirty' enough?). It could also have to do with keeping the moly from the first oil-washing of the components to ensure proper and consistent break-in. Change the oil early and you lose the moly.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
My guess is that Honda wants you to leave that dirty oil in the engine longer so that it can help scrub in the components... sort of a controlled "engine-wearing" process that will help to break-in the engine quicker (remember years ago when you were told not to use synthetic oil during break-in because it wasn't 'dirty' enough?). It could also have to do with keeping the moly from the first oil-washing of the components to ensure proper and consistent break-in. Change the oil early and you lose the moly.
I don't know, in theory you could drive your RL 100 miles on the factory oil and when the year is up Honda says to change it so not much scrubbing going on there. I remember in past forums when members would say to not use synthetic until the rings were broken in and now most oil is at least partially synthetic. I listen to a local radio show about car repair and the host says today's crank assemblies never fail so I think you can do the minimum or be overkill and you'd be okay. Back in the days when I had my Mustang GT I would change the oil every 1200 miles so I have no problem going 6 months to a year on synthetic oil these days. I just make sure to do it when the weather is nice. Currently I've done 4200 miles and at 50% but it's cold. Glad I don't have any of those shields to deal with yet.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
1. Resetting the Ridgeline's MM before the oil life reaches 15% resets only the oil life.

2. Resetting the Ridgeline's MM after the oil life reaches 15% resets all indicated maintenance items.

3. If the MM keeps getting reset before it reaches 15%, it will never have the opportunity to prompt for the other maintenance items.
Now that's confusing as heck to me (I'm assuming these three points are in reference to Owner reset - not using a special Honda tool?) ….
IF 1 is true (MM items other than oil change are not reset when oil is changed below 15%), THEN why is 3 true (items other than oil change will never be prompted) ?

4. Some Honda models allow owners to reset individual maintenance items. The 2017-2019 Ridgeline does not - a Honda scan tool is required.
So in @northwest's case, it's possible that the Dealer used a Honda tool to reset 'oil only' on his '19 Ridgeline, with the result that both oil change and all of his other MM items are on the 'correct' MM interval from the instant of the early oil change? Is that right?

·
Administrator
13,775 Posts
IF 1 is true (MM items other than oil change are not reset when oil is changed below 15%), THEN why is 3 true (items other than oil change will never be prompted) ?

So in @northwest's case, it's possible that the Dealer used a Honda tool to reset 'oil only' on his '19 Ridgeline, with the result that both oil change and all of his other MM items are on the 'correct' MM interval from the instant of the early oil change? Is that right?
Because the calculated oil life must be allowed to reach 15% before the other maintenance items codes will display. Only displayed codes will be reset when you reset the MM. If you keep resetting the calculated oil life before it reaches 15%, you'll never see any maintenance items codes. In order words, if the transmission fluid change (code 3) becomes due at, say, 45K miles and you keep resetting the MM before the calculated oil life reaches 15%, you'll never see that code 3 appear unless or until you allow the calculated oil life to reach 15%. The MM will not display codes for other maintenance items ("sub codes") independent of engine oil/filter ("main codes"). You'll never get a sub-code (1-6) without a main code (A or B).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Now that's confusing as heck to me (I'm assuming these three points are in reference to Owner reset - not using a special Honda tool?) ….

Sorry, should have mentioned I have a 2017. Has approx14000 miles on it. Last oil change was at 9553 miles. So if reading correctly wouuld need to go another few thousand miles to hit 15%, then the MM would show all maintenance items due. Thats a long time between oil changes??

·
Registered
852 Posts

4. Some Honda models allow owners to reset individual maintenance items. The 2017-2019 Ridgeline does not - a Honda scan tool is required. Assuming the 2020 Ridgeline gains the same instrument cluster as the 2019-2020 Pilot and Passport, you will be able to reset individual maintenance items.

If the oil is changed before prompted by the MM, document the mileage, but do NOT reset the MM. Instead, let it reach 15% so you can see what other maintenance items are due, perform them, then reset the MM.
I am so confused! :eek:

Bill

·
Registered
143 Posts
What's your source on this? The manual says to reset the oil life display if you perform the service yourself.

"Page 526 - NOTICE Failure to reset the engine oil life after a maintenance service results in the system showing incorrect maintenance intervals, which can lead to serious mechanical problems. The dealer will reset the engine oil life display after completing the required maintenance service. If someone other than a dealer performs maintenance service, reset the engine oil life display yourself". (notice it mentions "oil life display", not MM).

You can reset the engine oil life display using the audio/information screen.
Customized Features<- no mention of any steering wheel method, maybe that's the difference.

"Page 341
Maintenance Info.
Maintenance Reset
Resets the engine oil life display when you have performed the maintenance service. "

·
Administrator
13,775 Posts
What's your source on this? The manual says to reset the oil life display if you perform the service yourself.

"Page 526 - NOTICE Failure to reset the engine oil life after a maintenance service results in the system showing incorrect maintenance intervals, which can lead to serious mechanical problems. The dealer will reset the engine oil life display after completing the required maintenance service. If someone other than a dealer performs maintenance service, reset the engine oil life display yourself". (notice it mentions "oil life display", not MM).

You can reset the engine oil life display using the audio/information screen.
Customized Features<- no mention of any steering wheel method, maybe that's the difference.

"Page 341
Maintenance Info.
Maintenance Reset
Resets the engine oil life display when you have performed the maintenance service. "
1. Those instructions assume the oil is changed when prompted by the Maintenance Minder.

2. "Oil life display" refers to the "Maintenance Minder" in this context.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,909 Posts
Sounds like this could be an issue for those who drive so little they just do annual oil changes (per the OM). I'm not aware of any instructions to NOT reset the MM when doing annual oil changes. Interesting...

·
Administrator
13,775 Posts
Sounds like this could be an issue for those who drive so little they just do annual oil changes (per the OM). I'm not aware of any instructions to NOT reset the MM when doing annual oil changes. Interesting...
That's exactly a potential conundrum! :)

Based on my experience and others I've seen on here, the average driver will be prompted for an oil change about every 8,000 miles.

Assuming someone who drives less than 8,000 miles per year tends to make short trips which will accelerate the decrease of calculated oil life, the MM should prompt for oil changes sooner - perhaps in the 5-6,000 mile range.

If a person drives less than 5-6,000 miles per year, they may no longer own the vehicle by the time other maintenance items become too neglected. For example, it may take nine years before the transmission fluid needs changed.

We also have to consider how many of those who drive such a short distance in a year actually change their oil every year as instructed. Unless someone else tells them, they might not know to do that. Eventually, the MM will prompt for an oil change.

Another factor is how the vehicle is driven during that year - a 100-mile round trip each weekend results in much less wear and oil deterioration than a 5-mile round trip to work every day. Towing an RV 2,500 miles twice a year is yet another potential scenario.

The footnote regarding oil changes reads, "If the message Maintenance Due Now does not appear more than 12 months after the display is reset, change the engine oil every year." It does not read, "...change the engine oil every year and reset the display." This could suggest that Honda expects the oil to be changed, but without resetting the MM even though it seems to be in conflict with the notice that says, "Failure to reset the engine oil life after a maintenance service results in the system showing incorrect maintenance intervals, which can lead to serious mechanical problems."

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
'Tis a pity that Honda apparently doesn't incorporate both miles and time (whichever comes first) in it's MM algorithm.

All the more since Honda seems loath to provide a simple comprehensive standard / severe duty maintenance schedule table in the Owner's Guide / Manual.

Hate to mention Other-Than-Honda but my lowly '14 Ford Escape did just that. Yeah, probably required addition of a $0.50 a non-volatile clock-chip (maybe with a capacitor?) to accommodate that consideration. However they did it the MM covered both aspects of maintenance 'triggers' and wasn't 'lost' when the vehicle battery was disconnected.

We also got that comprehensive olde-skoole maintenance table in the Ford Owner's Manual.

Love my RL but there's always room for improvement.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Having a 2WD and drive 6k miles a year and have 40% on the monitor i do my own oil changes and tire rotations and fluid changes,I will change my tranny fluid at 45k miles and the coolant at 50k miles and the timing belt at 100k miles,plugs at 60k miles.I in no way will change the oil and not reset the oil monitor.Honda dropped the ball on the MM.It should have a old school schedule for the owners who drive fewer miles.
I have worked on autos for 48 years and this Honda is no different the any auto when it comes keeping it running for many years.(y)

21 - 40 of 175 Posts