Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

New vehicle break-in?

34K views 206 replies 38 participants last post by  EFICTION 
#1 ·
Things appear to be quite different since I last bought a new vehicle. Back in the day, it was customary to drive a new vehicle about 1,000 miles or so then have the first service done. The oil and filter were changed and other items checked. It was considered a good idea to have the oil and filter changed at that 1,000 mile mark since there was thought to be the most wear in the beginning until parts were broken in.

Now, the salesman tells me there is no special break-in procedure. My first oil change is free and I am not to take the vehicle in until the oil life monitor shows that the oil is due for change. This might be several thousand miles, depending on driving conditions/habits. I am wondering if this is the proper procedure these days. If it is, OK, but I want to be sure. Salesmen and even service advisors are not always right.

I do not want to do anything to affect the warranty. Nevertheless, can there be any harm in changing oil earlier and more frequently than recommended? In the past, after first oil change, I went about 5,000 miles between changes on any vehicle I owned, except for my motorcycle, which was done about every 4,000 miles. I never had an oil related failure of any kind. My old truck had an oil life monitor system and that system usually called for an oil change at around 6,000 miles. So, I did the oil changes a bit more frequently than recommended but it was not an inconvenience to do it more often. Maybe I wasted a bit of money and oil but at least I always had clean oil.

No doubt metallurgy has improved, lubricants have improved, but I wonder about going that far before first oil change on a new engine. Any comments about this?

See less See more
#161 · (Edited)
Just received a reply.

Roger,

It is disappointing but you cannot force out codes on newer Ridgelines period.

Thanks,
Cory
Apparently, Honda realized this is a problem.

"Starting with the 2018 Odyssey, the maintenance minder system includes a 365-day timer that keeps count from when the last oil change was done. Once the system hits the 310-day mark, it will trigger a Maintenance Due Soon message on the driver information interface and it will read Oil Life: 15% when you access the maintenance minder information. All models will apply this new logic at it's next full model change timing."

The Odyssey is the only Honda at this time that includes time as a factor in calculating remaining oil life.

Attachments

#162 ·
Just received a reply.

Apparently, Honda realized this is a problem.

"Starting with the 2018 Odyssey, the maintenance minder system includes a 365-day timer that keeps count from when the last oil change was done. Once the system hits the 310-day mark, it will trigger a Maintenance Due Soon message on the driver information interface and it will read Oil Life: 15% when you access the maintenance minder information. All models will apply this new logic at it's next full model change timing."
Thanks for running down that info.

Pretty pathetic, isn't it?

#164 · (Edited)
So... since my RL was built in March of 19, but not purchased until September of 19... I should expect to have the yearly reminder pop up in march 2020, before my 15% oil life remaining?

And if so...I should ignore.... or change the oil because it is a year old.
(There is a slim chance that the dealership reset the oil life (annual counter) when I purchased, but I doubt it.

Or did I misread your post. And the 19’s do not have the annual prompt...?

Thanks.

#165 ·
So... since my RL was built in March of 19, but not purchased until September of 19... I should expect to have the yearly reminder pop up in march 2020, before my 15% oil life remaining?

And if so...I should ignore.... or change the oil because it is a year old.
(There is a slim chance that the dealership reset the oil life (annual counter) when I purchased, but I doubt it.

Or did I misread your post. And the 19’s do not have the annual prompt...?

Thanks.
The 2018-current Odyssey is the ONLY Honda that includes elapsed time as a factor in calculating oil life. If the oil life hasn't reached 15% by the 310th day after the last reset, the oil life will decrease to 15% and prompt for maintenance.

The Ridgeline won't include elapsed time as a factor until or unless there is a third generation.

#172 · (Edited)
I also read of a few dealers putting VTM-4 fluid in 2017 Ridgelines!

Everything is becoming incredibly complex for the average consumer and I find that people use only a fraction of a device's capabilities whether it's a car, a television, or a dishwasher. I've owned nothing but Apple computers, phones, and other devices for over a decade now because they are durable, look nice, feel nice, reliable, and are easy to use. I purchased a Dell laptop for my mother for Christmas. First, I had to pick a brand. I had no idea what to choose, so I chose a Dell because it was familiar. Then, I had to choose between consumer or business class. I chose business thinking it would be more durable and contain less bloatware. Then, I had to choose a line of business laptop that seems primarily based on form factor. Then, I had to choose a series within that line. Then, I had to choose a specific model within that series. Then, I had to choose which screen, processor, storage, memory, software, and dozens of other features and options to include. It was absolutely freaking insane. Ultimately, I chose a random model that appeared in a flyer at the price point I was looking for. It cost 80% of much as a MacBook and has a horrible screen with poor contrast and low resolution, a plastic body, finicky trackpad, tinny speakers, and Windows 10 is a hot mess. I tried the simple task of installing her printer driver, which would never complete or allow me to delete it and start over. Finally, after three manual reboots it just started working on its own and printed out every test page that Windows previously said had failed due to a problem with the printer. I'm far more patient now than I used to be, but I was 30 seconds away from throwing it in the garbage and buying her a MacBook. Unfortunately, her embroidery machine isn't Mac compatible.

Anyways, before my blood pressure escalates... :)

I, too, suspect there are many Hondas running around with neglected maintenance because owners, dealers, or independents keep resetting the MM at each premature oil change. I also suspect there are many more non-Honda models with even more neglected maintenance because the vehicles aren't equipped with the equivalent of Honda's Maintenance Minder and even though a mileage-based schedule is included in the owner's manual, how many people do you believe actually read and follow it?

Let's take my 2019 Miata, for example. The Owner's Manual contains no less than nine (yes, nine) different maintenance schedules for both fixed and flexible modes in the US, Canada, and Mexico for normal and severe conditions based on a dozen different severe driving criteria. The vehicle can be configured to prompt for oil changes based on actual driving conditions (not including elapsed time), preset distance traveled, or custom distance traveled. The factory default setting is mileage-based oil changes every 7,500 miles. I changed mine to "flexible" mode so that it calculates oil life based on actual driving conditions and it's looking like it's going to prompt for an oil change around 5,000 miles.

I predict that my Ridgeline will continue to be driven more than 8,000 miles per year, so I'll continue to follow the MM exactly as I have on all my Hondas. The Miata has accumulated only 1,000 miles in three months, so it'll probably get annual oil changes. Unlike Honda's Maintenance Minder, Mazda's system only prompts for oil changes and tire rotations. You must refer to one of the nine schedules for other maintenance.

The bottom line is that it's just easier, more efficient, less expensive, and more effective to follow the Maintenance Minder in Hondas if you use more than 85% of the oil's life in one year. If it's been more than a year since the last oil change and the oil life hasn't reached 15% yet, you'll need to either wait until the oil life reaches 15% or change the oil and NOT reset the MM even though Honda tells you to.

Reactions: speedlever
#174 ·
FWIW, I don't touch the MM. But I do rotate my tires at 50% OCI and 1% OCI. The reason being is that the dealer changes my oil and Discount Tire does the rotation. Discount Tire and Costco have adjacent parking lots so that makes it easy for me.

Forgive the following off-topic rant. In my experience, the hysteria regarding Honda dealer maintenance quality doesn't match reality. NOT my experience with the dealer maintenance on my Miata at Crater Lake Miata in Medford, OR. On two occasions my Miata left me stranded, not because of the quality of the Miata but because of the poor service performed on it by the dealer.

#176 ·
Seeing different information regarding break in period. I have had my 2020 ridgeline for 1 month now and have close to 900 miles on it. I was planning on taking it on a 350 mile trip to Alabama in a couple weeks but I am not so sure. I myself kinda feel like I should have some more road time on the RL before striking out on a longer Journey. Any thoughts?

#177 ·
I myself kinda feel like I should have some more road time on the RL before striking out on a longer Journey. Any thoughts?
Yes, I have a thought, well, more of a question. Taking your Ridgeline out on the highway now would be the best treatment that you can give your Ridgeline, what is causing your concern?

Bill

#179 ·
Reactions: DOB
#180 ·
Speedlever,

I like the comments on changing the oil early...

Change Your Oil Right Away !!
The best thing you can do for your engine is to change your oil and filter after the first 20 miles. Most of the wearing in process happens immediately, creating a lot of metal in the oil. Plus, the amount of leftover machining chips and other crud left behind in the manufacturing process is simply amazing !! You want to flush that stuff out before it gets recycled and embedded in the transmission gears, and oil pump etc...

#187 · (Edited)
I seem to recall that there has been something said about Honda using some special lubrication during their engine assembly process where it is better not to change the oil early? Besides, shouldn't the filters be sifting out all of this damaging material before it gets circulated around the engine?

Bill

#181 ·
I think I agree with a re-worded version of what zroger said in post #172:
It’d be much easier, more efficient, and more effective if everyone would just do what mommy-Honda says, except at those times when it would be better if they did not.
(-:
In fact, I think just about everyone agrees with this as I’ve re-worded it. That’s not the trouble. The trouble is that everyone seems to think that everyone else is ‘wrong’ in their particular application of the sentiment.
(-;

#182 ·
I think I agree with a re-worded version of what zroger said in post #172:

(-:
In fact, I think just about everyone agrees with this as I’ve re-worded it. That’s not the trouble. The trouble is that everyone seems to think that everyone else is ‘wrong’ in their particular application of the sentiment.
(-;
Welcome to 2021 where the internet has given a platform to any & everyone with an opinion and confusing their opinion with fact in the face of the contrary. As others have said, "you have the right to your own opinion but not to your own facts".

#183 ·
Facts are funny things. I learned something a long time ago in school about facts that boggled me then and still causes me some consternation. We were taught that a fact is something that can be proven or disproven. This was I guess a way of teaching us that a fact is different from both truth and opinion.

I think puzzling over that in grade school made me a more critical thinker as I often find that even "facts" can be disproven.

#184 ·
I think puzzling over that in grade school made me a more critical thinker as I often find that even "facts" can be disproven.
In this plain, we exist there are some facts that are immutable such as 1+1=2. Other facts are accepted because they are beyond a reasonable doubt or "proven" with conventional technology and peer-reviewed, in other words, the scientific method. That doesn't mean that we should not question things but accept the limits of our knowledge and the enormity of our ignorance.

#188 ·
That rumor was started some years back, as I recall. Analysis never showed anything 'special' about the engine oil itself when those stories were more prevalent. Honda may use assembly lube, but that's not particularly unusual or special, and is certainly not needed for 5 or 10 thousand miles.

Honda's filters don't filter particularly well, so they're catching snakes and alligators, but otherwise less than all but the cheapest of aftermarket filters.

One might as well ask: Do the manufacturers still run the engines for a period of time after initial assembly, and then change the oil before shipping the vehicles out?

#190 ·
Honda's filters don't filter particularly well, so they're catching snakes and alligators, but otherwise less than all but the cheapest of aftermarket filters.
This statement peaked my interest because we use the dealer to do our oil changes and would be dismayed to find out that they are installing inferior engine oil filters. If somebody can please provide non-biased data showing this to be true I would be appreciative and we will start providing our own filters??

Bill

#191 ·
I'm not convinced it matters whether or not the various filters Honda sells (from at least three different manufactures over the years - all with different internal design and materials) filter "particularly well" or not. There are example of Ridgelines that have been using Honda-branded filters for over 300,000 miles with bulk oil from dealerships changed only when prompted by the Maintenance Minder. What is there to be gained by using "better" oil or filters?

#195 ·
How about this one: Took my 2020 RL to the dealer to get the headlights aimed because I was getting flashed too often on low beams. They said the lights were set a little high and they adjusted them. I haven't verified yet if they got it right, but on the drive home, I scrolled the information screen to check tire pressure (new winter tires). I immediately noticed that Oil Life had reverted to 100%. I had been watching it drop to 80% as the odometer approached 2K miles, and I'm sure that I did not accidentally reset the Maintenance Minder.

So I called service and asked how this could have happened. They said they didn't reset the MM, but when pressed further, they said maybe the tech was scrolling the display to record the mileage and accidentally held the button too long. But you don't have to scroll the display to see the odometer...lame. Just shows how easily the MM can get goofed up.

#196 ·
They said they didn't reset the MM, but when pressed further, they said maybe the tech was scrolling the display to record the mileage and accidentally held the button too long.
Or the same or different tech was confused and intentionally reset the MM in error thinking the oil had been changed?Or, maybe you got a free oil change? ;)

#200 ·
If that was all one had to judge, I think one could legitimately use it to make a purchasing determination re: filtration efficiency. Don’t know whether I would or not if that’s the only thing I had seen or accepted.
However, it agrees well with other data I’ve seen, not necessarily publicly share-able. So happily, I have no need to rely on it as sole-source information.

#201 ·
GM may have the answer: Program the computer to force a driver to observe break-in guidelines. :)

The C8 Corvette limits the engine to 4,000 RPM and 330 lb-ft of torque for the first 500 miles after which the limits increase to 6,600 RPM and 470 lb-ft.

#202 ·
That's a great idea.
That's roughly the same procedure I follow on break in for all my vehicles.

Here's a little story that you may laugh at.

Several summers ago I had my street machine out and I could see this new corvette C7 (ZR1?) dancing around cars to catch up to me at the upcoming light. I knew that car would run high 11's out the door,.
He pulled up and I knew he wanted a go. On the outside my car was a C4 so he thought he would take it.
( I put about $200K into that car and it was full caged, street legal race car pushing 720+ hp at the motor with a 300HP shot of juice on top of that. It would do 9's)
So we shot at he green and and when I hit about 120mph in a few seconds I tapped my breaks and shut down just to embarrass him. I was ahead by 7 car lengths at least. (I didn't hit the juice by the way)
At the next light we had a brief conversation. I asked him how many miles he had on that car.
He looked down at the dash and said 100 miles.
I said "you're an idiot" and drove away.

So anyway. Some people need that forced break-in period. That was a $120k car.

#205 ·
If you know how an engine and transmission works (even a basic idea) then you know that "break in" is the wrong term. You're not breaking anything. "Running in" is the best term.

Basically, when modern engines and transmissions are put into cars, they are run to maximum RPM in each gear before the leave the factory. I've been on several factory tours, and they typically end with a "rolling road" test where the powertrain is tested.

Running your engine hard when it's new is not inherently bad. But running it all in the same RPM range and at the same load may not properly run in the engine. The rings and bore surface need to completely mate. All the sealants and metal pieces from the machining process need to get worn off and filtered out. Before the rings are fully seated, there is a chance that there may be some fuel dilution (and diluting lightweight modern oil doesn't take much).

For years, I used what is know in the motorcycle world as the "Motoman" run in. It consists of increasingly more RPMs under a load eventually taking the engine to redline then letting it cool and changing the oil. I can't remember the exact proceedure...but it's listed here.

I've used this technique on every motorcycle I've ever owned, but then again, sporting motorcycles are extremely high performance engines designed to run under high load at high RPMs...most passenger cars aren't designed for that sort of use.

#206 ·
Break in periods are silly and old wives tails told by manufacturers to get people to not gun the car and wreck them before they get used to driving it. The break in is for you as a driver. Ive had at least 20 new off the lot cars in my life and never had a single problem with any of them driving them like I stole them. I took my first S2000 to the drags in Sept of 1999 with 300 miles on it and it ran its proper quarte rmile time and never had a problem after.

in fact, any IT guy can tell you that like computers, most part failures not by age wearing will happen in the first few months of owning you computer, run it hard at first and shake them out and once you pass a few months, that thing is gonna run perfectly fine for years.

#207 ·
Break in periods are silly and old wives tails told by manufacturers to get people to not gun the car and wreck them

in fact, any IT guy can tell you that like computers, most part failures not by age wearing will happen in the first few months of owning you computer, run it hard at first and shake them out and once you pass a few months, that thing is gonna run perfectly fine for years.
FACTS!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.