Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am deciding between a used 2010 RTL with Navigation and a New 2011 RTL without navigation.

2010 model
$27000
33,000 miles
navigation
7yr/100,000 powertrain

2011 New model
$31,000
no navigation
lifetime powertrain warranty (If I keep up to date with all my checkups)

I have never owned a honda before and I know they are reliable so is a lifetime powertrain really worth it? The high milage check ups can be pretty expensive.

Any suggestions? I really am torn...

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
My opinion, Go with the 2011, Its new and only 4k more the a year old one with 33K on it. As far as the drive train goes, from what I have seen on here, there hasn't been that many drive train problems.

·
Registered
238 Posts
That's a tough one.

I'd figure out how much the NAV is worth to you. I bought used with NAV...it's cool, but not worth the cash if you're buying new.

Next issue is how many miles do you really put on a car? Will you keep the truck for a Lifetime? If you're putting on 30K per year, maybe the lifetime powertrain warranty is worth it. Go ahead and ask them for full disclosure on what maintenance items must be done at the dealership and the cost for each one.

While most of my Hondas have been trouble free....things do go wrong, so having the warranty in your back pocket may give you peace of mind....which is priceless.

If it's me and 4K makes no difference, I'd get the new. With that being said...I'm very poor, so I bought a used RTL with 70K, plus the Honda 100K warranty for 17,5 from a member here on the board.....I rolled the dice.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,551 Posts
Here's the thing... The lifetime warranty is a dealer warranty. Your RL may well outlive the dealer, depending on the economy in your area. I personally wouldn't put any value in it. In addition, the routine maintenance on the RL is pretty easy to do and much cheaper than having the dealer do it. For example a B136 will likely run you around $500 at the dealer and maybe $100-$125 if you do the work.

I think it would be hard to pass up the new 2011 for the 2010 with 33k on it. Otoh, you may not be planning to keep the RL but a few years, so the $4k savings may be more important.

·
Registered
52 Posts
What they said.... plus, if you have a phone with GPS or a portable GPS unit, why pay extra to get that feature duplicated in your truck? I would be inclined to go with the new vehicle and "zero" mileage. If you want the rearview camera feature, I think that can be done aftermarket for under $200.

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
I'd have to say new is the way I would go, I'd be worried about how those 33,000 miles were driven, but that's me. I have a portable Magelan GPS, nice big screen and easily updatable that only cost $300, so I wouldn't consider the nav system highly important. I have a 2011 and just love it, but I can't tell you what the difference is between years, I had the chance to buy a repo RL with 12,000 miles on it and like I said, I always worry about how those miles were put on.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
7,148 Posts
I would also consider the lower cost of financing the new vehicle. Not sure of the present rates on used cars, but the new cars often have special dealer financing.

Good luck, and happy shopping.

Brad

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I would also consider the lower cost of financing the new vehicle. Not sure of the present rates on used cars, but the new cars often have special dealer financing.
You could actually end up paying more for the used one for this very reason!:act043:

Do the math! Good point Brad! :act035:

I like my Nav, but you could get an aftermarket one for much cheaper!....

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
In my opinion purchase the new one, you can always get a Tom Tom. If you purchase new you know the history of the truck, if you purchase used, you have no idea how the previous owner cared for the truck, beside the cost is not that much different and I'm sure you could deal more on a new truck than a used one.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Go for the new. If you check out the price of the nav's updates DVD you'll see why. The 2011 will probably still have a higher resale value down the road. The 2010 has half of its bumper to bumper warranty gone in just one year.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I bought mine used with 24k miles on it. Big price difference from what you're looking at though. You're only looking at $4k difference on the price, I'd go new if that $80.00 a month didn't make a difference for you. I know that it used to be $20.00 for every $1000.00 financed. Negociate with the dealer, you never know what kind of incentives they are getting back from Honda.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts