Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new VW Amarok will be put to the test as a support vehicle in the 2010 Dakar rally in South America next month.

"The Amarok, which will be available as a four-door double cab version from launch with a single cab model to follow in 2011, combines the robustness of a pick-up with innovative technology, high safety standards, excellent fuel economy and Volkswagen standards of comfort, quality and durability.

Key markets for the Amarok include South America, South Africa and Australia; in these countries, because of their versatility, pick-ups are some of the most sought after recreational and commercial vehicles. Thanks to its efficient drive technology and tremendous versatility, the Amarok is also expected to be a trendsetter in the contemporary pick-up class in Europe."

For further reading.....
http://www.easier.com/62826-new-volkswagen-amarok-official-photos.html

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Motor vehicle

· Premium Member
7,777 Posts
The Ridgeline would at least have some serious competition if VW brought this truck to the States. I owned a 2001 VW Jetta and loved it, but I do remember the number of electrical and wiring issues :act002:

· Registered
3,829 Posts
Looks too much like the Ford Sport Trac. - it is not a Ridgeline Clone.

As for VW - I had one - world record for problems - 1st car returned under NC lemon law. 38 non driveable dealer trips in 2 months ( yes it had to be towed ) - I had it for less than 4 hours after the 1st oil change at 1000 miles. - That is what got me into my 1st Accord.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/suvs/sporttrac/

· Registered
1,317 Posts
my wifes jetta is 08 wolfsburg and the fit and finish are better then the hondas. hondas is great and all, specically in truck seggment.. but the vw is a step or two up. almost 20k miles and no electrical problems.
yes vw is notorious for electrical problems.
I wrote something about the Amarok about 5 months ago in the "diesel for honda" thread.
Go figure, no diesel for US again.
if they brought it here in the diesel and honda didnt. you better belive the RL will be gone.
sorry ROC. or should I say honda

· Registered
3,427 Posts
my sister has a 08 Jetta and it hasnt had a real problem yet (tpms went off a few times) where my Ridge had 2 problems (brake switch failed, headliner falling off) still love the Ridge more
it kinda hurts to say it but it does seem to have better quality then the Ridge

· Premium Member
7,342 Posts
I sold my last VW TDI to a guy that I see from time to time. The last he told me it had 315,000 miles on it and had no major problems. He had replaced water pumps, alternators, tires, wheel bearings, etc., but the engine and transmission were still good.

· Registered
1,995 Posts
I try to be open minded about all vehicles. (if I wasn't I wouldn't have ever tried a Honda truck). Products must stand on their own merit. Reputation can only go so far, either direction.

My sister's 05 Passat and my 05 Accord get together every once in a while and compare notes. Those two vehicles are "friends" without any problems! :D If available, I will consider the Amarok.

· Registered
721 Posts
I believe Consumer Reports ranked Honda much higher than VW for vehicle reliability. The Amorak looks nice, but much smaller than the Ridgeline. The SAR version has a bed that looks like it would never hold a 4X8' sheet of plywood and the smallish pics of the Amorak show some significant intrusion by the wheel wells into the bed. And, there's no trunk. I'm sticking with the RL.

· Registered
2,647 Posts
I believe Consumer Reports ranked Honda much higher than VW for vehicle reliability.
Yes, and that's across most models. While it is possible for company to drastically improve its standards in a short period of time, I have seen many more announcements about this happening than actual events of it happening.
The Amorak looks nice, but much smaller than the Ridgeline. The SAR version has a bed that looks like it would never hold a 4X8' sheet of plywood and the smallish pics of the Amorak show some significant intrusion by the wheel wells into the bed. And, there's no trunk. I'm sticking with the RL.
The given measurements for cargo space are 1555 mm long and 1,222 mm wide between the wheel wells. That's by 61.2" by 48.1" -- virtually identical to the RL. What's impressive is the cargo capacity 1.15 metric tonnes, or 2535 lbs! Towing capacity is 2.8 tonnes, or 6172 lbs. Length and width are virtually identical to the RL. I could not find a curb weight or ground clearance for it. It's 4" taller, so I expect that it's got more clearance.

It sounds like this truck is a mid-sized one that would compete head-to-head with the RL if they were sold in the same markets. While we know that there are a long list of reasons to choose the RL (ride, reliability, trunk, primarily FWD, etc), the Amarok certainly looks good on paper. It's got just the kinds of changes (more tow/haul capacity, diesel, clearance) that a lot of people here are have asked for repeatedly, without having to go to a full-sized truck.

· Registered
10,044 Posts
I've owned numerous VW's and Audis, none of which had any major problems, just niggly annoyances like my Ridgeline. I'd say the overall quality is very similar. CR reliability survey data means absolutely nothing to me.

If it was available in the arteegee referenced TDI/6 speed, that would be the first vehicle that could pry my Ridgeline away, at least so far.

· Premium Member
7,777 Posts
I sold my last VW TDI to a guy that I see from time to time. The last he told me it had 315,000 miles on it and had no major problems. He had replaced water pumps, alternators, tires, wheel bearings, etc., but the engine and transmission were still good.
Yeppers, in 189,000 miles, my 2001 Jetta GLS 1.8T turbo was pretty good. All of the coil packs failed (One at a time starting at ~3k to 45K), the engine harness had to be replaced at 12,000 miles. The alternator went out at 500 miles and again at ~10,000 miles. The rear bake pads were changes at 15,000 mile intervals until I was told there was a TSB out on them. The brake bias was all wrong, used the Honda dealer to prove it to the VW tech. They did not have the platform to drive on and Honda did. Once the dealer fixed the bias issue by replacing the master cylinder and other related stuff and had the TSB in hand, they replaced the pads with the specified ones, no more brake issues. I was CONSTANTLY changing light bulbs at both ends of the car (Those rear brake lights a real pain to change). The tension pulley had to be replaced as it was making all kinds of noise. The lower radiator hose blew out at 32,000 miles, the windshield wiper motors went out at ~11,000 miles. That's all of what is listed in the maint. journal that I kept for the first year. Oh yeah, the seat material could be used as HEPA filters as it seemed to suck all kinds of crap into the beige covers making it look like it had been flooded and cleaned poorly.

Now, they engine and tranny were bullet proof.

· Registered
10,044 Posts
The AWD mode mileage of 8L/100km is about 29mpg. The RWD mileage of 7.6L is about 31mpg. Very impressive.

· Registered
982 Posts
I've owned numerous VW's and Audis, none of which had any major problems, just niggly annoyances like my Ridgeline. I'd say the overall quality is very similar. CR reliability survey data means absolutely nothing to me.

If it was available in the arteegee referenced TDI/6 speed, that would be the first vehicle that could pry my Ridgeline away, at least so far.
I'm surprised to hear you say that . Cr's reliabilty reports are based on hundreds of thousands of actual consumers responses. I would agree with you that alot of their intial reports are off but I can't think of another source with a larger and less impartial data base. I think their year end used car guide is pretty useful. Wish I had read it before I bought that used Neon.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts