Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought a few of you fellow snow dwellers would appreciate this modification:

I like the new wipers on the new Civics and Accords - clean looking with a 'wind spoiler' to increase down force at highway speeds.

Yesterday I went to my local Honda dealer and (after considerable measuring and a trial fit) I added the following:

On the drivers side a Accord drivers side BLADE ASSEMBLY (blade, WSW 660M)
On the passenger side a Civic passenger side BLADE ASSEMBLY (blade, WSW 550M)

The blade assemblies cost $30.00 for the driver side and $20.00 for the passenger side. I believe it was a well spent $50.00 – and it could have been done for less via internet if I knew they fit in advance.

They look, fit and work very well and I'm positive that they will perform better than my old Michelin one piece blades.

Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
This is good timing. I'll be replacing my blades very soon - I like the look of your wipes. Appreciated.

Oh, did the shop question why you wanted 2 different blades? Did you offer any explanation?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm going to my dealer tonight to do the same. Just got off the phone with them and they're open til 8pm! Thanks for posting this. I really wanted to update my wipers to the new style but try to stay away from the aftermarket stuff. This way I can still replace my inserts for $15.00 as needed when I'm at the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
7,018 Posts
Great detail. I will probably do the exact same thing in the near future--please keep us updated on the performance of these blades.

Brad:D

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Nice mod. Are they a true frameless design like the one piece blades?

Oh, did the shop question why you wanted 2 different blades? Did you offer any explanation?
Did the shop question why...No. They kinda’ like me and wanted to know if it would work. They let me take the assemblies out of their packaging and put them onto the wiper arms. If the blades did not fit they would not have charged me. It was a fun experience for all of us. The dealer has not yet received a 2009 Ridge' so we did not know if they were updated on the '09.

Are they true frameless... My Michelin wipers were, and they skipped areas – too bowed I think. If you look at the second photo you can see that there are 'lines of separation' and that these are three-piece wiper frames. They really do a much better job than my old wipers did.

I hope this has helped answer your questions.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
But what you are not taking in to consideration is the adverse effect the design change will have on the the ability of the wiper to maintain a constant 11 psi across the entire length of each blade. Without even distribution of force, you will in time encounter premature failure of the arms. This will lead to wiper motor failure. It seems as though you think you can just snap your fingers and improve a design that Honda engineers have worked so diligently on? If it were that easy, don't you think they would have just done it themselves? :eek:

:D:D:D

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Not at all trying to be a smarta** here....but WHY? The wipers on my '08 RL work great, and have for the past year. But I live here in the South, with very little snow and ice. What advantage do you have for the swith in the wipers??

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
HA! :p:D:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Not at all trying to be a smarta** here....but WHY? The wipers on my '08 RL work great, and have for the past year. But I live here in the South, with very little snow and ice. What advantage do you have for the swith in the wipers??
I luv the Burtman's Piaa wipers, I've them aprox. 2 years now and still working great. There's a few streaks on the wipe, but that maybe the windshield. Overall, it does the job on clearing dirt, snow, water, and bugs.

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts
But what you are not taking in to consideration is the adverse effect the design change will have on the the ability of the wiper to maintain a constant 11 psi across the entire length of each blade.
Where did you get the 11 psi number?

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts
I just put these on last week right before our ice storm. The actually did a better job of prevent ice buildup on the blade over the OEM standard blades. I paid $18 each at out local Richlen's Store.

http://www.tricoproducts.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=5153&location_id=5214

Those look exactly like my Bosch Icons.

Honda refills work perfectly on the Icon frames with a little persistence. They may work on those as well. The Honda refills work better on the Icon frames than the original blades did.

·
Registered
52 Posts
But what you are not taking in to consideration is the adverse effect the design change will have on the the ability of the wiper to maintain a constant 11 psi across the entire length of each blade. Without even distribution of force, you will in time encounter premature failure of the arms. This will lead to wiper motor failure. It seems as though you think you can just snap your fingers and improve a design that Honda engineers have worked so diligently on? If it were that easy, don't you think they would have just done it themselves? :eek:

:D:D:D
WTF... why aren't you still using a land line, or regular gas?

Our wiper design is over 5 years old, and he stated "I liked the..." key term being liked... opinion... which does not need a verbal tongue lashing from you because he took the time to test it out.

Why don't you jump over to the thread where we took the key from an Acura TL and converted our key fobs over to that. Shame on us for taking a perfectly good key fob that was engineered by the pro's at Acura \ Honda, and made it work with our Ridgeline!!! The shame and horror... eek!

Back to the original post, do the blades give you any chatter in the rain at highway speeds?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I have been driving Hondas in snowy weather since 1990 - the design of their wiper frames (multiple 'arms' holding the wiper blade) allows the frame and blade to flex as it crosses the windshield.

In certain circumstances - a heavy snow storm - the arms holding the wiper blade become frozen solid and the blade becomes useless quickly – it looses all flexibility. You have to pull over, get out and try your best to remove the built up ice from the frames in order to have the wipers function properly again.

Of course this mostly occurs near the top of a treacherous mountain pass with no shoulder and lots of traffic
....:eek:

And at the top of those mountain passes the pressure is only 10.5 psi...

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
WTF... why aren't you still using a land line, or regular gas?

Our wiper design is over 5 years old, and he stated "I liked the..." key term being liked... opinion... which does not need a verbal tongue lashing from you because he took the time to test it out.

Why don't you jump over to the thread where we took the key from an Acura TL and converted our key fobs over to that. Shame on us for taking a perfectly good key fob that was engineered by the pro's at Acura \ Honda, and made it work with our Ridgeline!!! The shame and horror... eek!

Back to the original post, do the blades give you any chatter in the rain at highway speeds?
As this is only your 30th or so post, I guess you missed the fact that I am making a joke about the usual suspects who knock most of these threads. I am one who does "useless modifications" in an attempt to better the Ridge and share it with others here too. There is no real information in my post above, but apparently it sure sounded real...just as many of the bashes here do. I'm on the OP's side here man...just trying to make a joke :D

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I have been driving Hondas in snowy weather since 1990 - the design of their wiper frames (multiple 'arms' holding the wiper blade) allows the frame and blade to flex as it crosses the windshield.

In certain circumstances - a heavy snow storm - the arms holding the wiper blade become frozen solid and the blade becomes useless quickly – it looses all flexibility. You have to pull over, get out and try your best to remove the built up ice from the frames in order to have the wipers function properly again.

Of course this mostly occurs near the top of a treacherous mountain pass with no shoulder and lots of traffic
....:eek:

And at the top of those mountain passes the pressure is only 10.5 psi...

hmmm... only 10.5 psi... would you give that in metric for us Canucks?:cool:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts