Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i love this site. just became a member because i'm seriously considering a ridgeline for my next vehicle....i need some convincing though....my last 2 vehicles have been jeep grand cherokees, and yes i've put up with the transmission problems....i've priced a few ridgeline rts'. seems the best i can do is 28800 otr....how's that sound? i put a lot of miles on a vehicle so i was wondering if anyone knows whether its safe to use mobil1 oil. also, can someone please give me a realistic estimate of what i might expect gas milage to be?

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Hi Subee and welcome aboard.

As for gas mileage, there are at least 2 threads floating around near the top of the "New Posts" that should answer that question.

There are also several oil related threads where members here are using the Mobil 1 EP synthetic and Mobil oil filters, so that should not be a problem. It does seem like I read that Mobil doesn't have 5W-20, but I could be mistaken on that. Again, do a search and you should find info on this.

As for the price, go to www.edmunds.com and look up the invoice and MSRP prices. That sounds like a good price, especially for out the door, but some people are getting them for below invoice now.

Have you driven the Ridgeline yet? That should be all the convincing you need.

Good luck and let us know what you decide. Looking forward to seeing pics of your new BLACK RTS!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Welcome to the ROC posts!:D

On pricing, keep in mind that the marketing incentive to the dealer ($1,000) goes away in early December. I'd suggest you go to Edmonds.com to check out the dealer invoice prices and confirm the dealer incentives. In my case, the dealer started out at $500 under invoice, then we negotiated a price for the options and my trade-in (they "made the deal" for me with the price they gave me on my trade-in).

On mileage.... I've gotten between 17.5 and 22.0. The lower mileage was going through mountains.... lots of ups and downs. Have not towed my boat yet, but I expect 3-4 mpg less....

I've had Explorers, Grand Cherokees, Ford Rangers, a BMW X-5, a GMC Denali, and a bunch of others..... I really love the Ridgeland.... it's the best. Kinda hard to express in words, but I have no reservations in telling you to GO FOR IT!! :D :D

·
Registered
186 Posts
subee said:
i love this site. just became a member because i'm seriously considering a ridgeline for my next vehicle....i need some convincing though....my last 2 vehicles have been jeep grand cherokees, and yes i've put up with the transmission problems....i've priced a few ridgeline rts'. seems the best i can do is 28800 otr....how's that sound? i put a lot of miles on a vehicle so i was wondering if anyone knows whether its safe to use mobil1 oil. also, can someone please give me a realistic estimate of what i might expect gas milage to be?

Oh, and one other thing..... Go for Blue Steel Metalic !!!;) :rolleyes: :cool: :D

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Subee: I agree with Swampler. I also started at Edmunds.com to find out Invoice/MSRP. I went to Honda.com and built the truck which in my case was
an RTL with Moonroof and several accessories. Once I determined prices @ MSRP I went to 7 different dealers in four different cities in Central & SW La.
I was able to find a deal that I could live with and there was a $4,000.00 difference between the high bid and the low bid.

Swampler mentioned using systhetic oil. I use Mobil 1 15w-30w in my 1986 300ZX and I use Castrol Systex 5w-30w in my Ridgeline. I am up to 10,300+miles with the Ridgeline and my gas milage continues to improve.
I make about 15.86 in town and recently on a 500 mile trip, I had a high of 21.6 on one tank and a low of 19.6mpg. My overall average was 20.55mpg.

You really need to drive the Ridge for several miles on differnt types of roads, good and bad. You will not believe how well it handles and how comfortable it really is. My wife love it, she uses it more than the Z. Look at the total package, especially for safety and stability.

This is my first Truck, but for 40 years I drove cars, minivans, stationwagons,
to the toon of 25,000+ per year. I would usually have a new vehicle every two years. All were GM,Ford,Dodge, etc. The Ridgeline has safety,convenience, and loads of fun.

Have a blast looking and let everyone know how you come out of all of this.

Cajun Country Ridgeline:)

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Welcome and whatever you decide will be right for you... I had an 04 jeep Rubicon... loved it but it was small and had a ruff ride! Anyway I drove a Cherokee before and the ride in the RL is like driving a car comparatively... hands down.
Try a comparison test!
Another jeep vs Honda info
Jeep Rubicon post 16/19 mpg on the window sticker. I got 10
Honda RL posted 16/21.... I get 17 to 22, if I drove like my mom, I could see much more from what most everyone has posted...
any way whatever you decide, enjoy what you get and Welcome to the ROC!

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
It doesn't sound like you've taken a test drive yet. I think that's going to be the most convincing tool. That aside, we got rid of our Trooper when we bought the Ridge, but I still drive my Jeep GC. I'm happy with my Jeep, but when it comes to comforts and versatility, there is NO COMPARISON.

The Ridgeline is an awesome vehicle. We are delighted with our decision to buy it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm with rtboy1961! I was sold from the time I saw the Superbowl commercial about the Ridgeline, however, I did do extensive research & was suprised to see that this was a TOP rated truck by Edmunds, Autobytel, Consumer Reports, Car & Driver etc. If you do even minimal research, you will be overwhelmed with many positive reasons to own one of these gems:D Best of luck! Keep coming back here, the user support in this group is by far the best and friendliest around and they are alway willing to assist anyone with all of their inquiries.

·
Registered
58 Posts
subee- go test drive one, like Truckin said. I looked at the Ridgeline and the Tacoma for quite a while..I drove the Tacoma first, and then the Ridgeline. Needless to say I left the Honda dealership that day in the Ridgeline. It just drives great, and is one of the best engineered vehicles that I have spent time with, even next to the three Audis I owned before it. If you are looking for a 4 door truck, and don't need to haul a bulldozer, go drive the Ridgeline. I got mine for ~ $4,000 under retail in Georgia. Just don't buy until you get the price you want. If you shop enough dealers (and let them know you are), you will get your best price. $1000 under invoice price isn't out of the question, especially this time of year.

I will be using Mobil 1 when it is time to change the oil. I am pretty sure I have seen 5W20 at the store, but don't quote me.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Sold my Tacoma for the Ridgeline. NO comparison for room, comfort, ride and practicality. Now if you are a hard core off-roader, look elsewhere. On the street there is no other truck in this caliber. You should be in the mid 26k range on an RTS.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I think you'll get your best deal on a Blue one..... Buying a car towards the end of the month is when dealers are trying to made #s. SO hold strong to your price, and I bet they call you towards the end of the month and ask you to come back.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
I got my Blue RTL for ~$3400 under retail on the last day of October here in Georgia. The best I've gotten on gas is 22.2 mpg on my last trip.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
subee said:
Hi subee, If you need your truck to pound jeep trails you may not be as happy but we take our dirt bikes out to the desert as often as we can mostly running on dirt roads but we also go where it gets fairly rutted out and the Ridge does ride like an Accord over some pretty nasty "non maintained dirt roads" We paid 30145. out the door for our RTS five months ago so your deal sound sweet! We have also just changed to Mobil 1 with a K&N oil filter. May I suggest you read the MPG posts for additional info regarding gas milage. We have run tanks thru at 19.87 and some at 16.5 it just mainly depends on how, where and when you drive it. Hope this helps.:)

·
Registered
319 Posts
jim270 said:
I got my Blue RTL for ~$3400 under retail on the last day of October here in Georgia. The best I've gotten on gas is 22.2 mpg on my last trip.

I don't want to get into another mileage conversation here but I have never gotten over 20MPG trying!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts