Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
The automaker has already made the unusual move of eliminate two fuel-saving features from some of the vehicles – engine start/stop and cylinder deactivation – and will now remove wireless mobile device charging pads from a few SUV trims, GM Authority first reported.
Yes, I paid $80 to have my start/stop disabled on my Ridgeline. It annoyed the hell out of me to push the button every time I got in. And yes, that was worth 80 buckaroos to me.
On my 21 if I apply the brake just hard enough to hold my position I get a warning in the instrument cluster that idle stop will not activate unless brake is fully depressed. Save yourself the cost of a start/stop disabler and just go easy on the brakes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It appears the Ridgeline's starter is designed to last at least 275,000 operations. Once this number is exceeded, the auto idle stop feature will no longer stop the engine and the auto idle stop indicator will blink at which point Honda says to replace the starter and starter relays then reset the counter.

I have 14 stops along my daily commute. 2 starts + 14 restarts = 16 starts per day. It'll take me 17,187 days or 47 years to reach 275,000 starter operations.

My gut tells me this is a non-issue unless you're a rural mail carrier with 400 stops per day. :)

View attachment 415656
Really good information. Thanks

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have had rental cars with start/stop. Aside from being a neat party trick, but it seemed like a well-intentioned solution to a bigger problem.

My other car is a plug-in hybrid. It doesn't have start/stop in the same way, but it is so well optimized to use battery power, even once the main pack is mostly depleted that stop-and-go traffic is never much of a problem. It is smooth and efficient. I think hybrid or electric offer better solutions.

·
Administrator
19,520 Posts
The vast majority of gas-only engines with auto idle stop use a heavy duty version of a traditional starter. A very small number use a belt-driven alternator-starter which is smoother.

Hybrid and plug-in hybrid vehicles use an integrated motor-generator to start the engine - this results in the smoothest operation since the two are directly coupled at all times.

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTL, 2019 Pilot EX-L
95 Posts
It isn't the wear and tear on the starter that bothers me. It's the stopping and starting of the engine that bothers me. It just drives me bonkers. Especially if it shuts off and traffic moves up a few feet. The engine restarts...I move forward...then it goes off. Drive thru restaurants are awful.

If I burn an extra gallon of gas a week (which I highly doubt), it's worth the $3 a week in gas money to not have it shut off. If I had not way to disable it, I'd have never bought the vehicle. I hate it that much. And I gave it a fair chance. I drove about 1000 miles before I made the decision to get the deactivator (which is rally just a timed relay...I probably could have made one myself).

I don't notice cylinder deactivation. I assume it's working, but I've never noticed it.
I have driven 3 vehicles with it and I hate it, annoying as hell to me. It would be nice if the manufacturer had a deactivate switch on dash like the passenger seatbelt deactivator. I know it is for increased gas mileage but find a better way.

·
Registered
2021 Black Edition AWD
26 Posts
With a little simple DIY effort, and two purchases (IdleStopper & VCMTuner 11) I have managed to disable both functions on my 2021 BE. I don't think I could have continued to drive it with those systems operating.! I find the yellow "A" lit up on the dash a solid reassurance that the damn thing is NOT active! These two mods were the first things on my to do list!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Round trip up north and back same day 220 miles…….avg speed 72 MPH avg MPG 28.2.
Have no issue with VCM, ‘19 no idle stop.

No skin in this game and could care less:
Wonder how the VCM killer is getting around the EPA crack down on modifications and so called tuning. KNOCK KNOCK

No…….putting a sticker “off road use only” does NOT work.
California Will Start Testing for ECU Tunes During Smog Checks Starting Next Week
If your car isn't running the factory software, aftermarket defeat parts or a tune not approved by the California Air Resources Board, you'll fail the test.

·
Registered
109 Posts
It seems that after my 1st oil change around 5500 miles, the Start/Stop feature vanished & never returned.it worked & was active in the summer of 2020. It’s still not coming on although I am in ECO-mode 99% of the time, the bypass button is not engaged, & all the limiting factors that affect the S/S system listed in the owners manual that retard it are not met.
What gives Honda?

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Modern Steel Metallic
89 Posts
I have driven 3 vehicles with it and I hate it, annoying as hell to me. It would be nice if the manufacturer had a deactivate switch on dash like the passenger seatbelt deactivator. I know it is for increased gas mileage but find a better way.
The reason they don't do that is because if they put a latching deactivation switch they have to recalculate the EPA Fuel Mileage estimate based on it being off or off 50% of the time I think. If they have a non-latching switch I think they get full credit.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My gut tells me the start stop feature eats more starters than the equivalent monetary amount of fuel it saves. Good ridance.
I don't think that is the case. Those starters are pretty tough. Besides, my understanding is the engine stops with a fuel-charged cylinder that gets a spark when letting off on the brake.

·
Registered
623 Posts
With a little simple DIY effort, and two purchases (IdleStopper & VCMTuner 11) I have managed to disable both functions on my 2021 BE. I don't think I could have continued to drive it with those systems operating.!
What are the symptoms of the VCM being active? I've never noticed it.

·
Administrator
19,520 Posts
Besides, my understanding is the engine stops with a fuel-charged cylinder that gets a spark when letting off on the brake.
Mazda's i-stop system stops works this way, but Honda's just stops the engine and restarts it using a conventional, heavy-duty starter.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Elimination of HD radio is the only loss I give a hoot about from the chip shortage (we still seem to have plenty of Bugles at my house).

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Has there been any substantial documented instances, after 2018, where either the idle-stop or VCM have created detrimental issues with the Ridgeline? How much of this dissention is due to simple resistance to something new and unfamiliar to most? In other words, in reality, what is to be gained by deactivating these two systems other than possibly a placebo effect?

I would be willing to put money on if either of these two systems are left in place as Honda has designed, that your Ridgeline is going to live a very long and content life.

Bill

·
Registered
255 Posts
Has there been any documented instances after 2018 where either the idle-stop or VCM have created detrimental issues with the Ridgeline? How much of this dissention is due to simple resistance to something new and unfamiliar to most? In other words, in reality, what is to be gained by deactivating these two systems other than possibly a placebo effect?

Bill
I would surmise not enough time has passed. Maybe revisit the question in 10 years?

For me it’s not reluctance to change as I love change. The idle stop/start is just simply annoying to me. Others provided good examples such as going through a drive thru. Who wants their damn vehicle stoping and starting every 3 feet when you’re trying to get your morning McGriddle and hash brown! And I don’t think it’s a helpful future for the 10% of the time it’s not annoying. It’s silly you have to find a way to permanently disable it.

I don’t notice the cylinder deactivation. If I did I would buy a gadget for that. I’m guessing it doesn’t engage much as I live in a relatively hilly area.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If your car isn't running the factory software, aftermarket defeat parts or a tune not approved by the California Air Resources Board, you'll fail the test.
The defeat mechanism is seen by the car's ECU as simply a push of the button by the driver a few seconds after start-up. Since emissions "tests" in California on vehicles this new are done by simply reading data from the OBD2 port, I'm not sure how they'd even know it was there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It seems that after my 1st oil change around 5500 miles, the Start/Stop feature vanished & never returned.it worked & was active in the summer of 2020. It’s still not coming on although I am in ECO-mode 99% of the time, the bypass button is not engaged, & all the limiting factors that affect the S/S system listed in the owners manual that retard it are not met.
What gives Honda?
The same thing happened on my Porsche about 3 years ago. Have your battery tested. My battery failed the load test. It was replaced and S/S has worked fine ever since.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,185 Posts
Start|Stop tech generally saves 3%-10%, but more typically 5%-7% on fuel usage, particularly in urban driving. It may become useful as fuel prices head toward $4/gal. However, a primary reason for its implementation is to reduce emissions.

I suspect that you will soon no longer be able to disable this feature as newer ICE models debut. It might just hasten the transition to EVs.

Here's a R&T article, with a link to the Engineering Explained video:

21 - 40 of 48 Posts