Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or is it frustrating that we are not hearing more about the gen 2 Ridgeline. It seems like all news has gone silent? Scheduled release now fall of 2016? Repeatedly delayed.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Is it just me or is it frustrating that we are not hearing more about the gen 2 Ridgeline. It seems like all news has gone silent? Scheduled release now fall of 2016? Repeatedly delayed.
Frustrating for sure; I was anticipating a showroom debut in the spring of 2016 with a 2017 model, similar to the way the GEN 1 appeared in the spring of 2005 as a 2006 model. Had a RL (3) since spring of 2005 and wanting a Gen 2 as my last vehicle, not getting younger.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Frustrating indeed, but rewarding on the long run. Let them take the time they need to take the bugs out of the Pilot before they produce the new RL. It can only make them better. May as well enjoy it now as the Gen 3 Ridgeline will most likely come out before next gen Pilot as it was designed to do.

·
Premium Member
4,234 Posts
Let's hope they don't take as long as Toyota. Last September was starting a lot of buzz about the new Taco. It shows up at the Detroit Auto Show in January with a mild refresh, and now, eightonths later, they just came out with the specs. Who knows when it will hit dealerships. And we haven't even seen a Ridgeline sans disguise yet.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
If it takes too long, could see Honda releasing the Ody before the RL

·
Registered
971 Posts
With the delay due to budget and post Ito era this truck has really not been given a fair shake to be real competitive. Feels more like, you get what you get and don't get upset, deal with it. After thought is another word thrown around here a lot. They would be better just skipping this version and waiting to release the all new Ridgeline with no regrets and a solid effort from top to bottom. Vision, Planning, technology, style, marketing, customer satisfaction.

I was so excited to hear about a new Ridgeline but the commitment has been lacking the vision off and the most important customer has been put on the back burner for too long without keeping in the loop. Joe has done admirably to cover up and keep the die hards interested, but he sincerely like many others probably really enjoys the discussions no matter what Honda does or doesn't do.

The frustration stage has come and gone for me. However I still hope they can get it together and release a great truck.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Yeah it is frustrating, cant they just give us another look, I dont think they will be changing anything physical from it, all they must be working on is the computers and how they communicate with the rest of the vehicle.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Yeah it is frustrating, cant they just give us another look, I dont think they will be changing anything physical from it, all they must be working on is the computers and how they communicate with the rest of the vehicle.
Really guys (& gals?),
I don't think it's us they are keeping it from; but they do have a real concern about giving the competition a leg up on anything special they might be doing with this next gen version. Actually ANY insight into what Honda is doing (or NOT doing for that matter) would be a benefit to the competition, so I don't blame them at all for remaining 'mum'.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
I guess I'm not surprised at the delays. The airbag recall is a big thing, the robo-conversion at Lincoln was major, the ZF9 fiasco threw a monkey wrench into the plans, and the turn-over at the Honda helm was yet another shake-up. Trying to regain quality control before vehicles roll out the door also takes more time. They are still scrambling to get on top of the new Pilot problems. As others have said, that means we should see a better G2 RL.

Other than the actual look of the truck, we already know a helluva lot about it. So what's left to reveal? IMO, it's a short list: final hp/lb-ft specs, center console, tow mode, exact exterior dimensions (incl. ground clearance) and details about the trim levels. Sure, I'd love to see an uncloaked picture of a pre-production RL, but I expect the normal secrecy to continue. I agree that the delays have likely meant lost sales for Honda as some frustrated buyers have gone elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
4,234 Posts
Really guys (& gals?),
I don't think it's us they are keeping it from; but they do have a real concern about giving the competition a leg up on anything special they might be doing with this next gen version. Actually ANY insight into what Honda is doing (or NOT doing for that matter) would be a benefit to the competition, so I don't blame them at all for remaining 'mum'.
I don't think there will be any surprises in the powertrain department, and my guess is that the interior will largely be that of the Pilot. Therefore, the only real surprise I can think of is what the bed and/or bed configuration might be, or what it could be. Maybe it's clever enough that they don't want the competition to see it yet?

·
Registered
437 Posts
So long as they do not base it on the CRV??

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I don't think there will be any surprises in the powertrain department, and my guess is that the interior will largely be that of the Pilot. Therefore, the only real surprise I can think of is what the bed and/or bed configuration might be, or what it could be. Maybe it's clever enough that they don't want the competition to see it yet?
True, we are basically getting the Pilot. If you like the Pilot you will probably like the Ridgeline.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I stopped by my Honda dealer on Friday just to take a look at the new pilot and to see some salesmen that I know. They had 2 on front lot, one was EX and other was EXL all wheel drive.
I tried to picture the RL while sitting in the pilot from the front doors forward and my thought was I'm Ok with it, the front hood/space is smaller than current RL but you have a better view of road... some have mentioned arm rest which isn't a big deal to me. The arm rest on the pilot were Ok... they didn't seem to be beefy at all but worked for me, if I had a choice I would prefer the current console that we have without the arm rest but not a deal breaker for me. I guess I'm still going to wait on the new RL as mine is still in super shape...

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
I will be taking the CT to my dealership in Murfreesboro, TN this week for an oil change. It will be my first trip since a big city dealership took over and doubled the price on oil/filter change, think it is $50 bucks now. Anyway, if they have a pilot I will drive one, I looked at one in Hunstville, AL the other day and was rather impressed. Looking forward to actually driving one,

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
..I tried to picture the RL while sitting in the Pilot from the front doors forward and my thought was I'm Ok with it, the front hood/space is smaller than current RL but you have a better view of road...
That sounds like the experience Joe described where, from the drivers seat, you would be hard-pressed to tell the difference between the Pilot and new RL. I would think, though, that driving the two vehicles would reveal some differences in "feel" due to suspension, wheelbase and engine tweaks supposedly made for the Ridge.

I think I can live with the shared sheet metal and interior of the Pilot. Off-pavement capability of the G2 RL will be the deal-breaker for me. I much prefer iVTM-4 over the part-time 4WD systems still dominating midsize pickups, so I'll keep an open mind on the new RL.

I learned a new word over at the Piloteers: "soft-roading". It seems to mean traveling off-pavement on gravel or dirt roads, but not heavy duty off-roading or rock crawling. You still need decent ground clearance and A/D/B-O angles to clear the ruts, ditches and creek crossings found on some soft roads, but you're not going to be climbing over boulders. I need a truck that can handle soft-roading and unplowed snow without fail.

·
Registered
246 Posts
the only real surprise I can think of is what the bed and/or bed configuration might be, or what it could be. Maybe it's clever enough that they don't want the competition to see it yet?
Consider that we are expecting a separate box from the cab... Knowing all we know about Gen 1, I'd say this ^will be a BIG surprise. The engineering that was required to do this could be quite impressive... 1/2 ton capacity with a frame boxed in body and no sails? Rear suspension too would be affected.

With the lower hood like a Pilot, the Gen 2 might be a real looker! :act035:

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm interested to see what the final product looks like and what the specs are, but I'm all-in on the new GM twins and will be replacing my Ridge with either a Colorado or a Canyon when the time comes. My '06 Ridge has been a great vehicle, but based on what I've seen so far and all of the info that we know so far, I just don't see the Gen II appealing to me anywhere near as much as the GM trucks. Could just be an aesthetic thing, as I think the new Colorado is by far the best looking truck I've seen in a long time, but all I know is that the GM trucks are far more exciting to me than the Pilot-based Ridgeline. Right now, there is nothing on the Honda lot that I would even remotely consider buying. And I've owned an '07 Accord, an '09 Pilot, and my '06 Ridge. Guess I feel like their glory days are behind them and the stuff they are building now is maybe "average" at best.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
With the lower hood like a Pilot, the Gen 2 might be a real looker! :act035:
Agree, parking and visibility should improve also.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I'm interested to see what the final product looks like and what the specs are, but I'm all-in on the new GM twins and will be replacing my Ridge with either a Colorado or a Canyon when the time comes. My '06 Ridge has been a great vehicle, but based on what I've seen so far and all of the info that we know so far, I just don't see the Gen II appealing to me anywhere near as much as the GM trucks. Could just be an aesthetic thing, as I think the new Colorado is by far the best looking truck I've seen in a long time, but all I know is that the GM trucks are far more exciting to me than the Pilot-based Ridgeline. Right now, there is nothing on the Honda lot that I would even remotely consider buying. And I've owned an '07 Accord, an '09 Pilot, and my '06 Ridge. Guess I feel like their glory days are behind them and the stuff they are building now is maybe "average" at best.
I've said it in the past, to each his own and if you like it and it fits your needs that's all that matters.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I've said it in the past, to each his own and if you like it and it fits your needs that's all that matters.
And if you don't keep your vehicles past warranty periods, I'd say go for it. If you're a 10 year 200K miles kind of guy, I'd say you may be sorry. No way to know for sure, but I wouldn't put my money on it. Full size maybe, but not these new guys.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts