Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Next-Generation Ridgeline general comments...

840K views 6K replies 251 participants last post by  csimo 
#1 ·
I bought my two ridgelines because they don't look like a conventional truck. Yet perform fantastically in almost every respect. I love my Ridgeline.

I have been blessed capable to purchase any vehicle I want, and the Ridgeline is, hands down, my most prized vehicular possession.

I just can't see ever being without my Ridgy. Sure some more fancy gizmo's would be nice, more power, better gas mileage, yada, yada... but I have other cars that do all that.

(Wow, that's alot of "I"'s! :act024: )

All this talk of a "conventional" bed, changing the Ridgeline "look" has me a bit worried.

Lets face it, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but we are all here because we really do "love" the ridgeline "look" as well as all the utilitarian features it has.

Please don't forget us Honda!

Amen brother! If the upcoming Pilot is any indication, which apparently it is, the next Ridgeline is going to fall short.

#2 ·
Re: Next-Generation 2017 Ridgeline latest information

I've updated the original post to point out that it's my belief from a good source that the rumors about a "split tailgate" are not true. The way the tailgate works is essentially carryover. Even Car & Driver bit on this misconception. No split tailgate.

Additionally, yes there is a gap between the cab and bed. I have been given a lot of tech info regarding the reason and they all make sense to me. It allows for additional bed configurations (hint, hint).

As for bed length... here's a quick and dirty overlay. I can't give the exact bed length, but I'm sure some of you can do scaling. Some of you may be able to do a better job on the overlay, but this is an exclusive and does not appear anywhere else at this time. You should notice how closely the front ends and "cab" sections match. Many shared components between the two vehicles.

Am I the only one who thinks this really sucks? If you want a crossover or a truck that mimics MANY vehicles that were released several years ago, (Traverse, Edge, their own CR-V etc...), be my guest but a truck based off of the new Pilot which looks like a cross between an Odyssey and a CR-V is not the answer.

I'm sure mechanically the thing will be sound, but what does it take for these people to get a clue when it comes to styling?! Nice job copying everyone else's old stuff!

I have a feeling that this project is going to fail, or tow the typical Honda line, if for no other reason than this stuff is not NEW or UNIQUE to the average US consumer. It looks like everything else and there's nothing special about it. Some Honda people will eat it up but breaking new grounds and widening the demographic isn't happening.

#10 ·

Am I the only one who thinks this really sucks? If you want a crossover or a truck that mimics MANY vehicles that were released several years ago, (Traverse, Edge, their own CR-V etc...), be my guest but a truck based off of the new Pilot which looks like a cross between an Odyssey and a CR-V is not the answer.

I'm sure mechanically the thing will be sound, but what does it take for these people to get a clue when it comes to styling?! Nice job copying everyone else's old stuff!

I have a feeling that this project is going to fail, or tow the typical Honda line, if for no other reason than this stuff is not NEW or UNIQUE to the average US consumer. It looks like everything else and there's nothing special about it. Some Honda people will eat it up but breaking new grounds and widening the demographic isn't happening.
Although you're entitled to your opinion, I'm of the opinion that the Pilot will succeed. This is one of the most technology advanced vehicle in it's class so I'm not sure what anyone could expect more. They may have stole a few styling ques from other makes, but without going too futuristic, which would be a fail for sure, they kept it civilized and gave it all they had without MDX'ing about it. We can't expect Honda to compete against their own so keeping la creme for the MDX is understandable and reasonable to expect. I predict people waiting and fighting and snatching these Pilots as soon as they're being delivered on the lots. I already know of a friend that just held off the purchase of a Highlander because he wants one of these instead. And he's a Toyota/Lexus guy that never owned a Honda. I'm of the opinion that he won't be the only one. Right now in Canada, some dealers can't get Highlanders as they're flying off the lots with waiting lists to snatch them. If Honda can keep supply and demand, they will steal the show for the next two years.

Will Honda do something stupid with the nest gen RL? Somehow, I think they will do just what's right to make it right that being an RL is not a Pilot. Some things will be different as trucks should be over SUVs.

#3 ·

I have a Canadian concern. With our dollar losing so much against the greenback in the last year, will this truck be affordable north of the 49th?
Wish it was still made in Alliston, Ontario.

#4,963 ·

I have a Canadian concern. With our dollar losing so much against the greenback in the last year, will this truck be affordable north of the 49th?
Wish it was still made in Alliston, Ontario.
NO it will be way more expensive. One can add a few grand more on par anyways but now you have the dollar difference and its going to hurt. I don't see a lot of Canadians buying this truck but its not just the price as the problem but its a big factor.

People think I have lost it, but guarantee a 55K maybe more for a top dog, plus tax 12% and accessories and options on top of that. LOL

#5 ·

I know you've heard this before, Joe, but thank you for all you've done to keep us up to date as much as possible, and in general for all the useful info that you've shared.

#7 ·

OK you [Makaze] and Joe have both essentially said that the GenII is "not a real truck." Why exactly???...
I had the same question, but it's not looking like we'll get an answer soon. We've been told that payload and tow ratings for Gen2 would be as good as or better than Gen1, and would be similar to competing mid-size trucks. FWD and IRS didn't make Gen1 less of a truck, IMO. So I can only speculate that suspension and drivetrain components (including the new AWD system) have lost some "beefiness" due to Honda's pursuit of weight reduction. This could also contribute to less offroad capability. But I'm just guessing here and hoping more information will be forthcoming...

#18 · (Edited)

I had the same question, but it's not looking like we'll get an answer soon. We've been told that payload and tow ratings for Gen2 would be as good as or better than Gen1, and would be similar to competing mid-size trucks. FWD and IRS didn't make Gen1 less of a truck, IMO. So I can only speculate that suspension and drivetrain components (including the new AWD system) have lost some "beefiness" due to Honda's pursuit of weight reduction. This could also contribute to less offroad capability. But I'm just guessing here and hoping more information will be forthcoming...
I still think that the "not really a truck" comment is intended to apply to both the Gen1 and Gen2. Reasons being it is front wheel drive, or it uses unibody construction etc etc. Semanitics? I have read nothing to indicate (other than people interpreting the above quote, and sounding like Chicken Little) that towing, payload, off road worthiness, storage capability, and overall toughness will be anything but improved in the next gen. Don't know why Joe hasn't commented on this??

#8 ·

"An all-new Honda Ridgeline pickup will join the Honda lineup within the next two years."
Yes, that was, indeed, the most disturbing line at the tail end of that press release. I hope that was an error, as Honda's 12/10/2013 headlined:

"All-new Honda Ridgeline Pickup to Debut Within Two Years"

#14 ·
There's been a lot of dissing the new Pilot all over the web, but I don't think the naysayers truly represent the core market for the vehicle. Instead, I'm inclined to believe the new Pilot has the right stuff to be a capable, class-leading family SUV. I think sales will be strong, especially if safety test results come in as expected, and Honda makes good on its renewed commitment to quality. And it looks like there's plenty of advanced technology in the new Pilot to carry into the next gen RL. The outcome will depend on how well Honda implements everything else needed to make the new RL a more efficient, versatile and functional truck than Gen1.

The biggest disappointment, IMO, is the failure of the ZF-9 to deliver the expected efficiency gains, possibly because of the reprogramming needed to smooth its quirky shifting characteristics. That's got to be causing a lot of strife for ZF, and it remains to be seen if they can overcome these setbacks. Regardless, it sounds like Honda is ready to move ahead with its own designs. The ZF-9 offered so much potential for the RL: lower gearing, faster shifting and better fuel efficiency. What a shame that hope has faded.

#16 · (Edited)
The general trend in vehicle design these days is for brand identity. The Germans have had itfor decades. Now, everyone else is trying to come up with a brand identity by designing a family resemblance across their product line.

Ford tried the 3 chrome bars grill for a while and moved on to the Aston-Martin grill look. Think of the Audi front grill and signature LED daytime running lights, Lexus grill and LED running lights, Kia "tiger nose" grill, Hyundai just changed the grill to look like Audi's, Nissan's new V grill, Buick's waterfall grill, Chevy's split grill with bow tie, Mazda is going for a unified face across their line, etc..

So this talk about the resemblance of the new Pilot to the CR-V and Odyssey is on par with that's going on in the car industry; brand familiarity across the line. You know a BMW when you see one even if you've never seen that particular model before.

I don't have any insider info, this is just my observation that it looks like Honda is working towards having a familiar face across the line.

At any rate, for me, there is going to be a new RL in my future.

#17 ·
I don't have any insider info, this is just my observation that it looks like Honda is working towards having a familiar face across the line.

At any rate, for me, there is going to be a new RL in my future.
Same here, a new Pilot or RL is in my future; at at my ripe old age, probably my last and 19th new Honda purchase. The only thing that might change that is my concern about the VCM and the auto start. Not a fan of either one.

#22 ·
Joe,

Has Honda thought about production capacity to build the new RL? The Lincoln plant is currently maxed out, and there not even building RL's. The new Pilot seems to be a winner that will sell like Hotcakes. I know they can now build some MDX's at the East Liberty plant, but is that enough? If the new RL is as good as your making it sound, Honda wont be able to make enough, literately.

#24 · (Edited)
I don't think the quality control problems that Honda has been having are any secret to anyone in the industry, and last week Honda lowered their sales projections as a result. This goes way beyond the airbag issues. I unfortunately know a lot more about this than I can discuss, but I'll say it loud and clear that these problems were and are not the fault of the designers, engineers, or even the people assembling the vehicles. This was caused by decisions by top management in Japan that decided that Honda could ride on their reputation and quantity trumped quality.

The Civic debacle is a perfect example. The designers and engineers had a damned good vehicle ready to go to production when Ito vetoed it. He told them to strip the features and make it smaller and didn't give them much time to do it (when you put a project on the fast track things usually don't end up well). We all know how that turned out, and at least Ito took the blame for his own mistake.

I don't pretend to know all the Japanese customs, but from what I understand by custom or tradition Ito should have retired a couple of years ago. When top management of a Japanese company retires they don't really leave the company... they become part of what I'll call a guidance group (I can't remember the Japanese name for it and it doesn't really matter). It's pretty much accepted that when this guidance group decides to intercede it's very serious and tradition dictates to follow their advice. Just a week or two ago this guidance group suggested that Ito stand aside (retire), but Ito refused and said he was staying on for another 2 years to see the airbag crisis resolved. From what I heard Ito was chastised for steering Honda away from the founding guidelines set forth by Soichiro Honda. Ito promised to return Honda to the quality comes first mentality (this was just a week or two ago).

Those that know Japanese customs and traditions can probably explain the above much better than I can.

The bottom line is that Honda knows they have some bad press in their future due to these quality issues and lowered their sales forecasts. So this long answer is to simply say that production capacity should not be an issue.

Here's a Bloomberg article from Friday picking up on some of this: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...aws-global-midterm-sales-target-after-recalls

Much of what I do is read between the lines of information provided. A couple of months ago the word was that the new Pilot would be "coming this summer", but at the PR they used the term "coming later this year" (or similar). When the Ridgeline teaser was mentioned the timeline didn't match everything up to that minute. So to put this all together a LOT of things have happened at Honda in the last couple of weeks. The Pilot is already delayed and if their words seemed to indicate more delays to address these quality issues. That's pure speculation on my part and although I've been in contact with a few Honda people this weekend I don't know what's going on (or even if they know).

Wow, I don't proofread my posts (bad habit) and I'm sure this one is a jumbled up mess and I'm sure I pissed some people off.

#25 ·
I'm not crazy about the front of the new RL mimicking the Pilot (yes, it looks like the CR-V), and I hold out hope that the front end will be unique to RL. Otherwise, I do believe it diminishes the uniqueness of RL, and FURTHER promotes the hater's fantasy that RL is just an Odyssey with a bed. Now it will even LOOK that way (I hope not).
BUT, I'm also mulling over comments about the 'break' between cabin & bed.... thinking about comments from both Csimo and Makaze: Could it be possible that Honda would attempt a covered bed configuration.... ala the early 4Runner, or the look of the Chevy HHR?? I can't imagine why they would.... but I'm just wondering why the separate bed, unless it's simply to appease the visual expectations of those wanting a "more traditional truck". So make it look that way, even though it's "artificially" separate????? Talk about bass ackwards motivations!

#26 · (Edited)
...... but I'm just wondering why the separate bed, unless it's simply to appease the visual expectations of those wanting a "more traditional truck". So make it look that way, even though it's "artificially" separate????? Talk about bass ackwards motivations!
There is a very valid engineering reason for separation of the bed from the cab. The bed side panel on the first gen Ridgeline was the largest stamped panel made by Honda. It was too large for a single stamp and double stamping caused a lot of quality issues causing scrap. There were certain structural stresses that could be created under very specific circumstances that caused problems. You just really have to trust me on this one.

A secondary benefit is that it allows for different configurations of the vehicle.

From another point of view I'm not very familiar with there may be an added benefit that the Ridgeline may get a better insurance classification. I don't claim to know much about the insurance side of things but from what I understand each vehicle is classified by the repair costs. The Ridgeline apparently had a worse than average rating because significant damage to the bed side panel (to the point that the panel had to be replaced) is major surgery that taxes the abilities of many body shops. The new design simplifies similar repairs and may result in lower insurance costs. Maybe someone in the insurance business could chime in on this issue.

Unfortunately I had a personal experience with this issue. I've been driving for over 40 years and had never put a dent on a car (except when it was my job to do such things) until my 2013 Ridgeline RTL w/nav. An 18 wheeler decided to put me between a rock and a hard place and wiped out the passenger side of my Ridgeline (not a straight piece of metal bumper to bumper) but I was able to drive away from the accident but the front end was out of alignment when he hit the right front wheel. My Ridgeline was 1 month old and I was astounded by the various repair estimates. Each one of them told me how difficult the job was going to be. I was able to work out a deal where I ended up with a 2014 SE with zero out of pocket so I didn't get it repaired. Then I got rid of that 2014 SE and ended up with another identical 2014 SE and was able to put about $2,500 in my pocket in a strange twist of fate.

#28 ·

Can someone explain why a high gear count transmission would be a good idea? With a puny 3.5L engine, you need less gears. My RL downshifts at 65 on a slight incline. How in the world would this truck benefit from a 6th, 7th, 8th, or 9th gear................ This truck needs a small V8 or diesel. I like my 07, but won't buy another without a better engine.

#29 · (Edited)

Can someone explain why a high gear count transmission would be a good idea? With a puny 3.5L engine, you need less gears. My RL downshifts at 65 on a slight incline. How in the world would this truck benefit from a 6th, 7th, 8th, or 9th gear................ This truck needs a small V8 or diesel. I like my 07, but won't buy another without a better engine.
Think of it like money: Your "lower number of gears" transmission is like $1 dollar, but that dollar is made up of 4 quarters (like 4 gears).
When you decide you want more gears (say 10 for instance), you don't just add 6 more quarters (higher gears).... what you do is space the gears closer together; so in the money example you NOW have 10 dimes to make up the same dollar.
You 'generally' aren't getting that much more 'top end' from those 'more gear' trannies, as much as you are getting closer ratios that can permit more time spent in the 'sweet spot' for acceleration, and don't stick you in 'dead zones' for torque when you're needing to drive at a particular speed with a particular load. (as you might with our current Gen1 RLs)

As far as towing with our "smaller" engine, more gears is ideal.... ESPECIALLY if you can select the gear you'll be holding (which I believe we may be able to do with these new trannies). It will be much easier to stay in the optimum power band that way, which makes for smoother towing up grades, even if you don't have brute-force torque levels.
.... and yes, you will still get downshifted on inclines.... that's supposed to happen & is a good thing. The fact that you are in the highest gear in the first place helps your fuel economy when you are just cruising (lower RPMs) & DON'T need to be in the max power band .... but those lower RPMs is NOT where your power is, so when your load increases (as in going uphill), you get downshifted.

#30 ·
Thanks, Joe. Your information, opinions and insight are appreciated.
I got my driver's license in 1961. I can't count the number of cars that I have owned over the years. Most were pretty good and I liked them but some turned out to be dogs and I was happy to see them go. I never really had seller's remorse over any vehicle I have owned, never, until I sold my 2008 Ridgeline in 2013.
When the RL came out in 2006 I thought it had to be the ugliest vehicle on the road...and wouldn't be caught dead in one. Then, a couple folks at work showed up with them and raved about what a great vehicle it was....though acknowledging that is wasn't the prettiest girl at the party. I was driving a 2005 Titan at the time....Red with all the bells and whistles. I still think the Titan is underrated. Well, I got the urge, you know, that sudden urge we sometimes get telling us it's time to get a new truck. I can't count the number of times that feeling has come over me during my lifetime....that was in 2008 and by that time the ugliness of the Ridgeline seemed to be fading...totally so after I drove one at the dealership. I had gone in to buy a Pilot but asked to drive the RL just for chits and giggles. The Ridgeline was in my garage that night and stayed there until the day after Thanksgiving in 2013 when that dumb urge came over me again. We had just purchased a new MDX for my wife and my vehicle, GOOD GAWD was a 2008 model with 45K miles so I just needed to have something else. So I bought a Buick Enclave Premium, well north of $40K with every option I had ever heard of. (dumbass me forgot the tow package though). Really nice vehicle, 20" chrome wheels and all.
Even thought the Buick is a great car, I like it, I don't love it. I loved my RL. Seller's remorse set in not more that a couple months after I sold it. It's the only vehicle I ever owned that I actually miss but as the end of the Gen 1 was already upon us, I was hoping that the intermission in RL production would be short lived and a new model would be on the lots within a year from then. 15 months later and the RL GenII is still more than a year away
I am hoping that Honda's current quality issues are resolved and that there is no additional delay rolling out the new RL to the dealerships.
I, like many others in this forum, will be lined up to buy one as soon as it hits the ground.

#33 ·
With the CAFE requirements - and the crash requirements - all vehicles are starting to look the same regardless of manufacturer.

I personally liked the front of the CR-V and hope the new GEN 2 Ridgeline has the same slope to increase the highway MPG. The brick square front end costs about 3 MPG at 55 MPH.

Yes, I now own a CR-V after 2 RTL Ridgelines - the space of the Ridgeline cabin is missed as is the comfort of the seats, but the 1/3 better MPG is worth it to me. I love the Ridgeline but there is no excuse for the poor MPG - the Odyssey weights as much and gets 25% better fuel economy due to the slopped front end.

I do not need a pickup to look macho. Apparently pickup owners are not happy unless the vehicle looks macho.

Peterbuilt, Mack, Western Star are trucks.

Ford F150 and Ranger, Chevy Colorado and Silverado, Ram 1500, Toyota Tundra and Tacoma are pickups, not trucks.

Only the government can created stupid classifications like car and truck that are not - all Honda vehicles are and should be classed as cars. SUV are the old station wagons renamed. The Crosstour is not a truck - it is not an SUV, it is an Accord hatchback. The pickups that are marketed to homeowners are not trucks - they are cars with open beds instead of a enclosed truck. Old pickups marketed as work trucks had few options and could be washed inside because the floor and seats were vinyl and there were nothing other than the dash that water could damage ( hint no radio, no heater - just a bench seat ). any vehicle that has more than 50% sold to household members are not trucks, but are cars and should be classed as cars.

Remember that EPA spelled backwards is APE.

#40 ·
Old pickups marketed as work trucks had few options and could be washed inside because the floor and seats were vinyl and there were nothing other than the dash that water could damage ( hint no radio, no heater - just a bench seat ).
My Dad bought a brand new 1962 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup just as you described--6 cyl, 3 speed, no radio or heater & a rubber mat on the floor. He was also under the impression that he could just hose out the interior when the mat got dirty, so he did--several times a year. The result? The floor pans rusted out in a few years 'cuz there was jute padding glued to the underside of the mat that absorbed LOTS of water & the floorpans were bare metal. DUH! This was in Yuma, Arizona, one of the hottest & driest places on the planet. Just sayin'....:act018:

#37 · (Edited)

Can you tell I HATE hybrids, and plug-ins are even worse? No logic, and a good engineer will hate it... Honda is just being politically correct.

Sorry if I raised your blood pressure I was just thinking about resale value in 7/8 years and how much value would an all gasoline vehicle have in 2025. I'm not enamored with hybrid technology either.

#38 ·

Can you tell I HATE hybrids, and plug-ins are even worse? No logic, and a good engineer will hate it... Honda is just being politically correct.

Sorry if I raised your blood pressure I was just thinking about resale value in 7/8 years and how much value would an all gasoline vehicle have in 2025. I'm not enamored with hybrid technology either.
Be carefull with those words, its coming like it or not.

#41 ·
I hope the new RL does not have the same front end as the Pilot and CR-V. In my opinion, it will not look right on a truck. I agree that the new Pilot looks nice, I am not sure it would look good on an RL though.
As for buying the next gen, my wife has already asked that question. My answer was that I would wait until it is shown before I decide to buy. I have a few years to go before it is my turn for a new vehicle, so we will see. I like the teaser photos so far, but want a look at the real deal.

#42 ·
I think Honda would do well to have a 6' or 6-1/2' bed length as an option to the shorter bed. In my experience with my Ridge, the biggest complaint I've had is the size of the bed both in length and height. I consistently find that for activities like camping, where a lot of gear is required, I just don't have enough room in the bed to fit everything I need. I have the Honda OEM tonneau cover, so I end up strapping some items down on top of the cover because there's just not enough room in the bed. It's become such a nuisance to me that bed size will become a major factor for me in the purchase of my next truck. I really like that the new Colorado/Canyon come with a 5-1/2' bed or a 6-1/2' bed. That 6-1/2' would be a much better fit for my needs. Hopefully this Gen 2 Ridgeline platform will allow Honda that kind of flexibility.

#43 ·
Perhaps you would do better without the tonneau cover at all. When I travel with the ridge I use water tight bins to pack anything than can't get wet in the bed. You can stack pretty high . . . Four people plus 90lb dog plus gear for a week fits fine for me.

How wide is the new canyon/colorado bed? It certainly doesn't take a 4'x sheet laying down between the wheel wells . . .

I use the "truck" features of my Ridge a lot but I think I would be satisfied with a 5.5' bed if it can lay a 4'x sheet flat. The extra .5' length from current is a good balance between improving utility and keeping the overall length reasonable.
Options like a long bed are always good but I would be surprised if Honda offers them at the start. If it sells well, then I would expect Honda to provide more choices . . .This might be a$$ backward thinking but it is what I expect them to do. Also if it sells, the aftermarket will jump on it as well.

#44 ·
It's true that the GM twins have a narrower bed than the Ridgeline, but I got a chance to check out a Colorado at the local Chevy dealer, and I really liked that the bed was taller, particularly at the tailgate, than the bed on the Ridge. One of my problems with my current setup is that the cooler that I take on camping trips does not fit under the tonneau cover with my other gear because it's about an inch too tall. So that means it has to either go in the cab with the rear seat folded up if I'm traveling with just one or two buddies, or it has to get strapped down to the top of the tonneau if I'm taking the family camping. I like your idea for the waterproof containers, but I also like the security of being able to lock the tonneau/tailgate.

#48 ·

Chevy Colorado a Hit. Third shift added.
https://autos.yahoo.com/news/smaller-chevy-colorado-pickup-hit-plant-adds-3rd-133004209.html

Honda should see that production of the 2nd gen. Ridgeline could certainly be a hit. They should strive to make this a great vehicle rather than a "production" filler at the plant
Many baby boomers and retirees love their trucks and would purchase the 2nd gen. Ridgeline if it is properly upgraded to today's expectations for electronics and mpg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.