Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My RL-1 reports for duty tomorrow 8 am sharp at our Line-X franchise to begin the process of hiding forever a dirty little secret -- a bed belying the 10 years it's been on the road.[/ATTACH]

Will post the new and improved look asap -- a way overdue complement to the rest of the pkg.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,269 Posts
Looking forward to the results. Are you doing any prep work for them or just letting them handle it.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Looking forward to the results. Are you doing any prep work for them or just letting them handle it.
I was going to pull off the panels myself...don't have to be a gear-head to figure out how. You learn quick installing a back-up camera. But, call it the art of the sales pitch or whatever, they talked me into having them do it. I'm not one to needlessly throw away $150 (their charge) but I got to thinking it through.

I think for liability reasons on both ends they prefer to do it (although they did not raise or push that as an issue). That way when you drive off, you've accepted the work as performed, and they don't have to worry about you claiming later something somehow broke during the re-install. Before accepting, I will give it the once-over, trust me.

Hey, you only go around once.

Now, when I get the bumpers sprayed (next on my list) even they suggested I pull them off myself. They see that as speeding up the process for all involved and saving the customer money. Didn't ask what they charge for that. Will do the same with the side view mirrors. At the same time, I may (MAY) have them spray the lower doors as faux rocker panels to tie in with the height of the bumpers front to back. Picking up the RL this morning.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice looking truck! I am curious as to the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow! That's all I can say. What a difference. Basically they removed all side-panels, taped off the floor, scuff sanded everything, spray coated and re-assembled. It is rock solid to the touch -- not likely to go anywhere anytime soon. I'm a believer.

Sure beats replacing the wall and tailgate panels considering Honda quoted me $1800 for new ones. The floor panels another $3100. To begin with, Line-Xing the old fiberglass ones makes them far more durable and definitely a hell of lot better looking than going new.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,269 Posts
Looks Great, and was pretty quick also...

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
That turned out really nice. Looks like a new truck.

I have a question. With the added weight of the Line X will the trunk lid stay open?

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That turned out really nice. Looks like a new truck.

I have a question. With the added weight of the Line X will the trunk lid stay open?
No problem there; lid stays open till you shut it and it latches back as if the coating weren't there. Very impressed with the product.

·
Super Moderator
7,269 Posts

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From what I've read Line-X is the thinnest of the various "spray-in" bedliner type products

There's another thread where either an owner or technician from a Line-X franchise posted several pics an information.

I'll try to find it and add a link here.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/6-1g-exterior/22503-ridgeline-line-x-xtra-color-match.html

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/6-1g-exterior/4606-spray-bedliner-9.html
I believe you are right on that point. Classically a case where less is WAY more. And thanks for the links. Will investigate further. Could not be more satisfied with the results.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Looks Great, and was pretty quick also...
You may already know this, but the quick turn around is a testament to the chemical process itself at work. Each layer sprayed cures in 5 seconds, according to Line-X. And from what I've read, that ain't no line. (Sorry, couldn't help myself.)

Just now editing in this POST SCRIPT: The product DRIES in about 5 seconds, chemical CURE takes overnight. Wanted to clarify that.

·
Registered
784 Posts

Sure beats replacing the wall and tailgate panels considering Honda quoted me $1800 for new ones. The floor panels another $3100. To begin with, Line-Xing the old fiberglass ones makes them far more durable and definitely a hell of lot better looking than going new.
Wow, that came out GREAT!

You mention it was a lot less expensive than replacing the panels. Would you be willing to share the ballpark cost for this Line-X treatment?

-

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, that came out GREAT!

You mention it was a lot less expensive than replacing the panels. Would you be willing to share the ballpark cost for this Line-X treatment?

-
Not at all. Basic coating $459 plus $140 for Ultra UV protective coating (guarantees no fading for life) and $150 to pullout and re-install all wall and tailgate panels, which, frankly, you can do yourself. $740 total.

·
Super Moderator
5,340 Posts
Not at all. Basic coating $459 plus $140 for Ultra UV protective coating (guarantees no fading for life) and $150 to pullout and re-install all wall and tailgate panels, which, frankly, you can do yourself. $740 total.
Your truck looks fantastic. Well worth the money spent on the Line-X.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Wow, that is a bargain compared to the replacement panel costs. And the replacement panels would get scuffed up again, whereas the Line-X should be far more scratch resistant. Thanks for that info.

Absolutley agree!

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah. It certainly flies of face of purists who feebly try to advance the aguement that add-ons like bedcoatings (particularly Line-X's) damage the integrity of collectors edition status down the road. Seems to me improvements like this would promote the opposite effect.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Just an FYI, there are bed refurbishing kits out there that make the bed look oem new. I've come across a few threads here about it. A heck of a lot cheaper and DIY.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,348 Posts
Your typical bed refurbisher product will do a nice job of making the bed look new again but it won't offer any long term protection against future scratches and scuffs. For those who care about how their bed looks and don't want to be bothered by frequently applying a rejuvenating product then the LineX or similar coating makes sense. It should hold up well.

That said, I personally couldn't care less about the scuffs and scratches in my bed. I use my truck for work and the bed will take a pounding and keep on working just fine, regardless of how it looks. The argument that the LineX application costs much less than replacing panels only makes sense if you are worried about the appearance of the bed. Functionally the bed will last and last regardless of whether or not it is scuffed / scratched.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just an FYI, there are bed refurbishing kits out there that make the bed look oem new. I've come across a few threads here about it. A heck of a lot cheaper and DIY.
You are right, my friend. I looked at those kits and watched a fairly exhaustive application done in a YouTube video. But my concern was finding something, even for a DIYer, that would withstand the test of time and meet the Line-X standard and warranty. That said, I have great confidence in many of my abilities, but sadly not in the spray painting department.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts