Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to download the oil sample report Nicholas sent me via fax and it is too large. If you would like to see the report, I will send it to you via email. Email me at [email protected] and I'll get it to you asap.

Sorry Nick!! :( :eek:

Blackstone report.pdf:
File Too Large. Limit for this filetype is 170.9 KB. Your file is 1.68 MB.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Is there a way to post a summray of the findings?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Not sure how much text there is, if there is any graphs or if any of it will transpose well but you could copy/paste the text of the report into the forum. Like zero just said, maybe a summary section. Just an idea.... Might keep you from having to send out a bunch of email.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
LadyRidge sent me the report but I've already trashed it so I'll try to summurize. The TBN was 1.2, there was lots of moly as expected with the break-in oil, no fuel dilution, anti-freeze or water in the oil. There was high wear and silicone numbers but those are expected on a new engine. All in all it was pretty normal and expected for the first oil change.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry guys..I'm not that mechanically inclined anymore to summarize or even begin to even know what that report meant. The only oil I know about is the kind you DON'T put on your salad. Sadly, I went from rebuilding engines in Mopars at 14 to being a Mom and Grandma now. ( thought I was going to tell you my age didn't ya!!?? ) :D
I traded my monkey wrench in for a frying pan. :rolleyes:

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Thanks Vertrkr and Ladyridge.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Nicholas said he changed his break-in oil at around 6800 miles when HAL showed 5%. I am out of town and do not have the manual with me but I think 5% is the figure suggested for oil changes. If his lab report is fairly consistent with what is "normal" oil condition figures for break-in oil, then HAL is right on target here.

What is amazing is with this is that the computer makes assumptions based on driving habits (short/long runs, temp, etc.) rather than conduct an on-going oil analysis as was done by the lab. This strengthens my belief that Honda knew what it was doing with HAL and I intend to let it tell me when to change oil rather than go by any set time or mileage schedual. Another kudo for Honda engineering!

·
Registered
460 Posts
shortspark said:
Nicholas said he changed his break-in oil at around 6800 miles when HAL showed 5%. I am out of town and do not have the manual with me but I think 5% is the figure suggested for oil changes. If his lab report is fairly consistent with what is "normal" oil condition figures for break-in oil, then HAL is right on target here.

What is amazing is with this is that the computer makes assumptions based on driving habits (short/long runs, temp, etc.) rather than conduct an on-going oil analysis as was done by the lab. This strengthens my belief that Honda knew what it was doing with HAL and I intend to let it tell me when to change oil rather than go by any set time or mileage schedual. Another kudo for Honda engineering!
DITTO.....rest assures me as well that the on board is capable of giving accurate assessments for oil change. 5% is the recommended time so i will use 10 % as my point of service so that i get it in by the 5 % mark. nicholas, thanks for your input/research. :cool:

·
Registered
419 Posts
Happy to share what information I can with you all...and many thanks to Ladyridge for her time and effort (sorry guys, not too computer savy here!). Now just to get my "baby" fixed after my little Tuesday brush with a stupid truck driver (yes, I realize this seems rather harsh, but when you ask a driver after he has just struck your vehicle, "What were you thinking guy?" and his remarks to the police and you was, "I couldn't see the road." That is the time to please just STOP!!! It could of been a lot worse...had I not served onto the sidewalk I really think his trailer wheels would on came over my front bumper, fender and hood and I don't think even the Honda Ridgeline was designed to support 80,000 pounds of a loaded semi????

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
If you hadn't jacked it onto the sidewalk, you may not be writing to us here. It was the right move, a good move. Was the semi driver cited?

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
shovelhd said:
If you hadn't jacked it onto the sidewalk, you may not be writing to us here. It was the right move, a good move. Was the semi driver cited?
In hopes Nick won't mind me speaking for him, yes..the semi driver was cited.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes!!! Asked him, "What was you thinking?" His reply, "I couldn't see where I was going." Told him in front of the police officer that at that time you just stop before you hit something...if it is coming down that hard (rain) everyone should stop...The police officer agreed. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I an an old engineer and always change my oil early ( 1500 miles on the ridge ) to get rid of the metal particles that float in a new engine. I could only find Motorcraft 5w20 synthetic blend in this part of the world ( and Walmart acutally had it $1.85 per quart ). I like the synthtic blends as they hold up to temperature better. I go 3500 miles on the second change and 5000 miles there after. And always change the filter.

I have had 3 cars go over 200,000 miles with no repairs or burning of oil but never found out how long they would last due to the cars being totaled in wrecks before they got to 220,000 miles. ( one was a pontiac bonneville diesel - it had 221,111 when a school bus ran over it at a stop sign ) I also had an olds 98 that had 190,000 miles when Hurricane Floyd dropped a tree on it.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
larryr said:
I have had 3 cars go over 200,000 miles with no repairs or burning of oil but never found out how long they would last due to the cars being totaled in wrecks before they got to 220,000 miles. ( one was a pontiac bonneville diesel - it had 221,111 when a school bus ran over it at a stop sign ) I also had an olds 98 that had 190,000 miles when Hurricane Floyd dropped a tree on it.
Can you tell us as you get close to 180k miles so I can make sure to stay away from your area during that time. No need to take any chances you know ;).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts