Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
NMO Amateur Radio antenna mount on Ridgline roof

I have a 2012 RTL, sunroof, and a sat antenna on the roof.
Also a Leer fiberglass topper over the bed.
I find that roof mounted amateur 2 meter/440 radio antennas perform better when they can utilize the ground plane of the METAL roof.

So I kept reading the forums, searching for the easiest way to lower the rear headliner enough to safely drill the NMO hole and install the antenna.

After lowering the headliner enough to guarantee I wouldn't cut the sat antenna, nor any other cable, sunroof whatever, I found enough room to install the NMO antenna.

Taped the roof, drew bisect lines, and using the proper NMO drill, cut the hole.
Filed the edges, used tape to pick up shavings and inserted and installed the NMO antenna mount.

Ran the coax across the headliner, to the B post (firefighter parlance for the front door locking post near driver's left shoulder).
Down behind the moldings, forward under the trim and out and under the drivers seat where the small vhf/uhf Kenwood radio was installed.

I would have liked the antenna to be in the 'center' of the roof as that would improve 360 degree signal strength. But this will work well enough.

Took longer to measure twice, and then once again than it did to drill, install, button everything back up.

One trick I strongly suggest anybody about to install an NMO style antenna mount. Invest in a NMO designed drill.
If anyone want's to borrow mine, I'll be glad to lend/mail it to you for your use.
No charge other than Postage.
email me ...... at bill at w9ol dot com

73 de Bill, W9OL

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got the local Motorola service shop to install mine. Well worth the time and not that expensive. And, if they mess it up, they have to repair the liner.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts