Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a few hours of dark night driving tonight in my RL Sport and I'll have to say it really gave me pause about bothering to make any headlight changes.

First, the high beams leave nothing to be desired. On the mostly empty stretches of I-49 between Shreveport LA and Texarkana AR, the high beams lit the road far further than any distance required to analyze something unexpected and brake at a comfortable rate of deceleration. Easily as bright as the bi-xenons on my GLI.

There's been so much talk about the low beams, I expected I would be ready to yank 'em out. Consumer Reports declaring them 'poor', everybody here trying to make changes, etc. But I found them fit for purpose. The beams extended far enough to illuminate the shoulder well ahead. As I was abreast of other vehicles, the beam was not notably different than most other vehicles, except for an occasional Audi with high end lights.

So, in the end, i don't see any reason for me to make headlight changes. Backup lights? That's another story. Yes, brighter is needed. Suggested bulbs?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I agree with you. I like the stock headlights and especially when you turn on the fog lights. They are aligned perfectly to complement each other. I have no regrets with stock on my RTL.

Backup lights could be better but they work ok with the camera.

Steve M

·
Registered
272 Posts
My RTL-T low beams only illuminate about 40-50 yards in front of vehicle. That's not near enough on rural highways at 55mph, especially on hilly terrain. High beams are fine.

·
Registered
484 Posts
My RTL-T low beams only illuminate about 40-50 yards in front of vehicle….
Check the aim. They may be aimed too low. You cannot assume they come properly aimed from the factory, be it Honda, Ford GM, etc.

One consequence of the new headlight tests from IIHS is that automotive manufacturers are finally beginning to put more effort on getting the headlight aim correct on the assembly line.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I agree that they are just fine. Certinaly not worth the expense and difficulty to change them. I can see deer eyes plenty good well in advance of slamming on the brakes.

·
Registered
484 Posts
If the H11 low beam bulbs are the long life version, they are trading luminance for a long service life, to save on warranty replacement costs. The Philips X-treme Vision +100 bulb can provide a noticeable (but not huge) improvement in illumination, but at the cost of shorter life. The H9 bulb is even brighter, but also has an even shorter lifespan than the Philips.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I like the stock headlights and especially when you turn on the fog lights. They are aligned perfectly to complement each other.
Pet peeve rant time....

Why do people use their fog lights when there is NO fog?!?! They do nothing to improve your distance night vision, as they are designed to aim BELOW the fog layers when fog is present. The reflection off the pavement of many surfaces adds to the glare for oncoming traffic. Just use the tools as designed, people... c'mon. This goes for people who can't seem to wrap their minds around the fact that high beams affect oncoming traffic, too! SMH

OK... rant over.

Bottom line... if you think the low beams need to be "complemented" by the use of your fog lights, then perhaps you might want to reassess the low beams again... because they just might be "poor" after all.

Just my .02 worth here. :)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Hmmm... maybe I'll just start to call them driving lights. I think that's what they are called in the owners manual.

Steve M

Oh and BTW... nice rant except that just about 100% of the population drives around with their driving lights on ! lol

·
Registered
741 Posts
I think you mean "auxiliary driving lights," as some refer to them as.

Or you'll find this if you do a quick Google search for "driving lights vs headlights"

PIAA | FAQ's
"Fog lights are intended to be used in conjunction with standard headlamp low beams. Driving lights are mounted to provide illumination forward of the vehicle and intended to supplement the high beam of a standard headlamp system. It is not intended for use alone or with the low beam of a standard headlamp system."

I'm just pointing out the intended use for fog/driving lights... that's all.

Here is what PA Traffic Code says about "aux driving lights" -- interestingly enough, it says you can only use them with "high headlamp beams"... which is funny because most fog lights cut off automatically when you switch from low to high beams.

(l) Auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps. Auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps may be installed on a passenger vehicle or light truck if the lamps comply with the following:

(1) Auxiliary driving lamps may not be substituted for headlamps. Auxiliary driving lamps may only be used with high headlamp beams.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Pet peeve rant time....

Why do people use their fog lights when there is NO fog?!?!….
Because many people like having bright foreground light. It gives an illusion of improved night time vision that many people find satisfying.

And for some, it is about fashion and styling. They like how the front of the vehicle looks with fogs and low beams turned on. Some owners of the new Ford Superduty pickups will be going gaga over the look of 2 fog lamps plus 4 low beam lamps turned on simultaneously.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I didn't read the whole thread but I will say my minor annoyance at least with the RTL-T is the fact that the DRL swhooshies are bright white light and the headlights/driving lights are dirty old brown.

Other then that I am happy with the performance of them. I still may pony up the cash for LEDs just to make them all the same color. I know that's not important to many.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I didn't read the whole thread but I will say my minor annoyance at least the the RTL-T is the fact that the DRL swhooshies are bright white light and the headlights/driving lights are dirty old brown.

Other then that I am happy with the performance of them. I still may pony up the cash for LEDs just to make them all the same color. I know that's not important to many.
See my pictures on page 1. HID FTW!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Because many people like having bright foreground light. It gives an illusion of improved night time vision that many people find satisfying.

And for some, it is about fashion and styling. They like how the front of the vehicle looks with fogs and low beams turned on. Some owners of the new Ford Superduty pickups will be going gaga over the look of 2 fog lamps plus 4 low beam lamps turned on simultaneously.
So basically "form over function" is what you're saying, huh? Gotcha... so with that logic, why not get rid of low beams? I mean, who cares about oncoming traffic, right? SMH

·
Registered
440 Posts
So basically "form over function" is what you're saying, huh? Gotcha... so with that logic, why not get rid of low beams? I mean, who cares about oncoming traffic, right? SMH
Fog lights aren't blinding anybody and if people want to drive with them on then so be it. What ever floats your boat if it ain't dangerous than who cares. :wink:

·
Registered
741 Posts
Fog lights aren't blinding anybody and if people want to drive with them on then so be it. What ever floats your boat if it ain't dangerous than who cares. :wink:
Actually, they can and they do. They're designed to be used when fog is present. When fog isn't present, the reflection off the road is what can blind oncoming traffic. So, with that, they're as dangerous as someone driving with their brights on when they shouldn't be.

Bottomline, it's more about drivers having some bloody courtesy for oncoming traffic instead of "looking cool." SMH

1 - 20 of 43 Posts