Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Still working on this. Checked the air mix motor and it is working fine. Blower door opening and closing. Is there any where else past that point in the air flow that the air would separate/mix?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tried to see if anyone else has had this problem but I can't seem to find any.

I have an 06 Ridgeline (base model). Last winter I drove it with almost not heat on the driver side (I live in Canada and it's freezing. This wasn't fun...).

My passenger side has beautiful, scorching heat but my driver side is luke warm when it's cold at best.

I did some research and thought the mechanism, "actuator" if you will, that opens and closes the blender vents on the side of the center console was damaged. I pulled it off and it works fine. So it's not that.

I have had some people say it could be the thermostat but that doesn't make sense because 1 side of my vehicle is blowing perfect heat. If it was the thermostat it would affect everything, as far as I understand it.

I know in the higher end models this vehicle has dual climate controls. Is it possible that they use the same system in my model (no dual climate controls) but wire it so it's all controlled as one?

If yes, could there be a sensor on one side that is shot?

Or, is it possible that there are 2 separate heater cores?

Please Help!. Winter approaches fast and I need to get this figured out. My feet and knees can't take another season of driving a refrigerator.

Thanks!

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'd start with seeing if the air mix motor on the driver's site is actually working.

Look at this thread reply 33 to locate the mix motor (which, coincidentally, happens to be my reply).

Now warm up the 'ridge, and while someone cycles the temp from colt to hot (in our family referred to the "Arctic Wasteland" and "Crematoria" settings :)) to see if the actuators that are behind and driven by the mix motor are moving.

If you open the hood and look against the firewall on the driver's side you'll see a small cable that should also move as you cycle from cold to hot.

Verify that's all working first and report back!

It far more likely that the mix motor would fail than the temp sensor. The mix motor has moving parts.

Roak

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Roakey!

I did check this during my winter of frozenness.. It's what I referred to as the "actuator" in my post. After much searching I figured this was definitely the fix. Sure enough, the darn thing works perfectly... I couldn't believe it.

That's what leaves me so stunned. I have no idea what direction to go in next.. Totally baffled...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Im having the same issues (2007 RTL) except on the passenger side. Why so hard to figure out.

Not willing to have dealership charge me $$$ for something that should NOT be a problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
625 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue with my 07 Ridge, Love to figure this out.
Mixing vent moves free , the servo motor works good . If i work the vent and heater core valve by hand ( no motor ) still no heat on drivers side vents or windshield, passenger side works great. Any ideas ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think i got it now. flushed the heater core ( was clean as a whistle ) hooked it all up as it was, still no heat on one side. Then i check the hoses for heat and the out hose was cold .. pulled it off and ran the motor @ 2000 rpm till fluid was moving and put the hose back on .. now heat on both sides . Never thought of air lock ,,lol,,. hope this helps some others.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello all...my wife's 2009 Honda RL RTL (I believe) is having an issue. The passenger side gets heat and AC with out an issue, however the driver side only gets cold air. I've searched for this on the forums and found similar instances, but wanted to get some amount of confirmation that I'm looking in the correct area. I'm not familiar with exactly how everything is routed with the HVAC. Floor, main and defrost on the driver side blow only cold air. I know there are motors that drive blend doors seemingly on both driver and passenger side. I started to focus on removing the blend door motor on the driver side, however there's a screw I can't see or, thus far, access to remove the duct covering the blend door motor. Hoping that someone can confirm, or not, that that one door/motor combination would affect floor, main AND defrost locations. Also...if it sounds like the correct assumption...any input on removing that duct would be fantastic. It's tight under there and can't see much. She's gettin' cold (NH 16 degrees this morning) and I'm hearing about it. Thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I’m having this issue right now on my 2009 rtl got it back from the shop today I was told that the heather core might be bad he told me that it was flushed out but I don’t know if I should just replace it or flush it out once more to make sure it’s not clogged

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think i got it now. flushed the heater core ( was clean as a whistle ) hooked it all up as it was, still no heat on one side. Then i check the hoses for heat and the out hose was cold .. pulled it off and ran the motor @ 2000 rpm till fluid was moving and put the hose back on .. now heat on both sides . Never thought of air lock ,,lol,,. hope this helps some others.
I haven’t tried this yet but I’ll give it a go my rtl has a lot of miles on it I might replace the heater core

·
Registered
159 Posts
All,

For some reason i have no heat on the drivers side, both hoses are hot coming into the firewall. Actuators seem to be working, any thoughts?

I have tried to burb the system also, no luck.

Thanks,
Frank

·
Super Moderator
6,084 Posts
Here are some troubleshooting tips from this thread:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm having the exact same issue. I also noticed the rear driver's side vent blows colder than the passenger's side. Is there a thermostat on the heater core that might be affecting this? I pulled off the piece that covers the AC blend door actuator (lower vent?), and I can see and hear the unit moving when I change from hot to cold.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been reading and searching the archives for this problem but haven't found it, so here goes.

I've had the poor floor heat thing from the time I bought it in October 05, but just thought it was a poor design. Recently, I would feel cool/cold air throughout the cabin while I was driving with the heater on. I had my wife try the passenger side vents and to both our surprise, there was cold air blowing from her side and the defrost vents. All of this cold air is blowing out every vent except for the 2 vents on the driver's side. Has anyone else experienced this? Please help, as I have called the dealership and they want to charge $109 just to look at it and then told me a ballpark figure of somewhere in excess of $600 to fix. That is crazy to me. Help.

Signed...Blazing hot on the driver's side...freezing everywhere else!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the FIX TO THIS PROBLEM!!! After spending over $1000 at the dealership to no solve a mechanic friend thought it may be the heater core as there is a distinct division line running down the middle of the core dividing passenger side to driver side. If it plugs only one side gets the heat, whichever side that isn’t plugged. He took 10 minutes to unhook heater core hoses and flush it through with a garden hose and air pressure hose. He hooked it all back up again and started the truck, turned on the heater and like magic, BOTH sides worked again!!!!
Best part is he did it for FREE!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
So, I have checked everything under the dash, and I can not figure out what is going on....I get heat on the passengers side, but not on the drivers side....the solenoid for the heat/cool deflector on the driver’s side is working, the heater valve under the hood works, in at a loss.......does the drivers side and the passenger side have their own heater core??

21 - 40 of 42 Posts