Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Long story abridged, I can smell a slight coolant smell outside my truck and a friend recommended/poured the Blue Devil brand radiator leak seal into it.
I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT FOR RIDGELINES! It plugged up the heater core and radiator to the point where coolant was blowing out of the reservoir, and then Blue Devil gave us a run around/hard time about it.
We flushed as much water as we could through the system, as Honda does not recommend doing a traditional flush, and have worked out some of the kinks. The one main issue left by this ordeal is that the heat does not work, we figured out that if you go underneath the hood and manually release the cable responsible for providing heat, that it will work until the climate control module shuts the heat off when it reaches temperature, or until you turn the temp down for air conditioning.

How do I fix this? I don't even know where to begin...

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I've not worked in this area myself, but it sounds like a sticky heater valve (to flow water to your heater core). You could take it out & try to clean it really well, or you could just replace it & be done with it. Probably mucked up by the 'muck' you put in there.

:)

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Have no idea if this has anything to do with your issue but... the water round these parts is heavy with calcium. And a lotta folk use tap water to fill/top off their cooling systems. I've seen build up to the point valves, thermostats and passageways have frozen or clogged up to the point where issues like yours have developed. As Dnick suggested, the only real way to deal with junk along those lines is disassemble and clean up or replace. I know, it sucks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts