Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was just watching a video of a BE and saw that it didn't have the camera under the right hand side-view mirror for the 'Lane Watch'. (I think that's what the feature is called). I've always thought that was one of the "BEST", features Honda has ever put into their vehicles!!! It's missing in the BE, supposedly because it has the blind spot monitoring? WTF!! Why can't you have both?? I'm assuming that this is the same for the RTL-E???? :confused:

If so, I'm not taking delivery of the RTL-E that's arriving next week. And no, I won't take an RTL-T because we definitely want the memory seats in the E model. :mad: Luckily, I'm not in a position that I have to buy a truck at this point in time.

I'm so pissed!!! First, they don't add the LED turn signal indicators in the side view mirrors (only in the Canadian trucks) which also annoyed me. Come on,,, a $40,000.00 truck and you skimp on turn signals which less expensive cars have? And now, no lane watch because you have the blind spot monitoring. I guess you can't have it all,,,. :(

Sorry for the rant. I really do apologize,,. At my age and being retired, I just won't settle for something less that what I had anticipated.

The Ridgeline is by far, the most versatile and comfortable mid sized pickup offered. Best of luck to all of you with your RLs! :smile:

·
Registered
377 Posts
I was just watching a video of a BE and saw that it didn't have the camera under the right hand side-view mirror for the 'Lane Watch'. (I think that's what the feature is called). I've always thought that was one of the "BEST", features Honda has ever put into their vehicles!!! :smile:
Go ahead and call your dealer because you won't be able to get 'em both.
That E will be snapped up faster than a chicken in a crocodile pond.

Honda put a more traditional blind spot monitoring (BSM) on the up-level trims because that is the kind of systems found on most vehicles.
My Mazda CX 5 had a similar BSM package: warning lights on mirrors (inside on pillars for RL) and audible warnings if you use turn signal and there is a car in the blind spot and you don't check the mirrors first which we should do.
On EITHER side.

So there are two reasons, IMO, the BSM is way better than Lanewatch which covers one side and has no audible warning and forces - here's reason #3 - you to look at the Nav screen rather than glance at your mirrors, the original BS detection device.

One poster complained about the placement of the warning lights inside but having used mirrors with them on it for two years and Honda's interior ones, I prefer Honda's way of doing it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Go ahead and call your dealer because you won't be able to get 'em both.
That E will be snapped up faster than a chicken in a crocodile pond.

Honda put a more traditional blind spot monitoring (BSM) on the up-level trims because that is the kind of systems found on most vehicles.
My Mazda CX 5 had a similar BSM package: warning lights on mirrors (inside on pillars for RL) and audible warnings if you use turn signal and there is a car in the blind spot and you don't check the mirrors first which we should do.
On EITHER side.

So there are two reasons, IMO, the BSM is way better than Lanewatch which covers one side and has no audible warning and forces - here's reason #3 - you to look at the Nav screen rather than glance at your mirrors, the original BS detection device.

One poster complained about the placement of the warning lights inside but having used mirrors with them on it for two years and Honda's interior ones, I prefer Honda's way of doing it.
Oh I know that the E will be sold in a snap! The manager didn't even take any money from me for a down-payment or to reserve the vehicle saying that if I didn't take it, he'd have it sold the same day I pass on it. All he did was shake my hand and put my name next to the truck on the order sheet. It's even in the color we wanted, Forest Mist. The truck is presently in transit to the dealership.

And I understand your logic regarding looking at the Nav screen rather then the mirror itself, which I agree you should do in the first place. However I'll also state that the Nav screen with Lane watch (IMHO) gives a better view then you get looking at the mirror!

I'll also agree that it's better to have the BSM indicator inside on the door pillar rather then on the mirror. I have a BSM system on our Cherokee with mirror indicators and find that they're not that easy to notice, especially on the right-hand mirror. But,,,, but,, that 'Lane Watch' is so damn COOL!!!!! lol.

I'm softening a bit,,. It just seems that the older you get, the more compromises you're 'forced' into making,,,.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
I share your frustration on Honda's one or the other approach - ideally they would put both on the upper models. While I once very much wanted Lane Watch I found there is one good thing about BSM. Rather than a glance at the screen to verify the right lane is open (as I might be prone to do with LW), I still turn my head all the way to look for myself and make BSM part of my scan. For me, BSM provides extra assurance, not definitive info. And of course it's good for both sides of the truck not just the right side.

I hope you soften a bit more & elect to buy the new RL. Every vehicle is a compromise to some degree - this one just has a whole lot less compromises than many others. Either way you go, good luck!

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
My wife has the "mirror light" BSM on her Ford Edge. We didn't think we'd like it, but now wouldn't have a car without it.

We just had to re-think its purpose and how we use it.

Back in driver's school (a milliion years ago) we learned a sequence something like this.... When shifting lanes, we turn on our directional signal, check the right mirror and check the right window. When all is clear, we move to the lane.

Generally we will see anything that is there, unless it is in our blind spot. The new indicator tells us that. We don't need to know what it there, we just need a signal that something is there so that we don't make our lane change.

I prefer to have a light on or near the right side mirror to give me this signal. The camera on the Nav screen is certainly better than nothing, but it requires that I look at another place (beyond the normal sequence) to check for traffic. To me, that can be another distraction that takes my eyes off the road for a fraction of a second longer and may cause me to wander out of my lane.

FWIW

·
Registered
128 Posts
BSI vs LaneWatch... I'll take BSI every time.
OP try renting a car with LaneWatch and you might discover how annoying it is. I have BSI on my BE then got a new CRV to drive while they changed the oil... I disliked LW quickly.

·
Registered
928 Posts
BSI not mounted on the mirror glass is useless to me.

Regardless I don't have to have it but in the cars we drive that do have it, that's where it belongs for maximum usefullness.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Oh I know that the E will be sold in a snap! The manager didn't even take any money from me for a down-payment or to reserve the vehicle saying that if I didn't take it, he'd have it sold the same day I pass on it. All he did was shake my hand and put my name next to the truck on the order sheet. It's even in the color we wanted, Forest Mist. The truck is presently in transit to the dealership.

And I understand your logic regarding looking at the Nav screen rather then the mirror itself, which I agree you should do in the first place. However I'll also state that the Nav screen with Lane watch (IMHO) gives a better view then you get looking at the mirror!

I'll also agree that it's better to have the BSM indicator inside on the door pillar rather then on the mirror. I have a BSM system on our Cherokee with mirror indicators and find that they're not that easy to notice, especially on the right-hand mirror. But,,,, but,, that 'Lane Watch' is so damn COOL!!!!! lol.

I'm softening a bit,,. It just seems that the older you get, the more compromises you're 'forced' into making,,,.
Hope you take the E.
You will love it.
I think you will be fine with the BSM. Just use the turn signals so you also get the audible warning some moron tried to diss elsewhere.
And the LKA, which I found works well at night if the lines are reasonably fresh on the road sides, will be your buddy.

·
Registered
928 Posts
which I found works well at night if the lines are reasonably fresh on the road sides, will be your buddy.
The "sensing" features on the Hondas always seem to need some kind of exception. This is not OK.

I hope in the future they can advance their systems to fully functioning out of the box.

I have not used their system personally, so I have no game in the fight. But that being said, I'm glad I didn't wait and extremely long time to wait for an E to even become available.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I have the Lane Watch on the Accord and the bride has it on the CRV. It comes in handy and I often just press the button for the camera to show if it's clear to switch lanes. I guess Honda views BSM as more premium since it covers both the left and right sides. It's just strange that only one trim of the Ridgeline has this feature, the RTL-T. It would be nice to see it on lower trims. Wish I had it on the RTS, I find myself looking for it especially at night. It's really a safety feature more than a convenience feature as I have come to learn. Compared to the CRV's and Accords where you can get this feature on every trim except the lowest LX, RL's are really lacking feature content unless you go top of the line. Shame on Honda.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Mr. Black FYI,
ALL the systems work as advertised.
The ACC can be adjusted; I have it a little long.
My first experience with everything but BSM and cross traffic alert.
The LKA works really well day or night.
Auto emergency braking has only flashed a warning and began braking once.
I can see where it will save boo-koos of $$.

So I suggest you experience some of the features/functions you are so quick to diss instead of tossing out unsubstantiated statements like this:
"I hope in the future they can advance their systems to fully functioning out of the box."

·
Registered
928 Posts
Mr. Black FYI,

Auto emergency braking has only flashed a warning and began braking once.
Was the threat gone when it started braking?

This has been happening on Hondas and it's not safe.

·
Registered
377 Posts

For you to be taken seriously we are going to need some documentation on that statement.

·
Registered
377 Posts

Whatever you think "this" is, it did not happen to me.

The “threat” as you call it was me not looking where I should have been, ACC was off and my foot was headed for the brake as AEB briefly engaged just as it should have.

Of course there is no real reason for you to check put these systems being as you settled for a trim w/o them (not getting them would have been a deal breaker for me) so perhaps leave all the speculation, unfounded opinions, and innuendo on the sidelines until you learn more about their efficacy.

·
Registered
928 Posts
There is a thread devoted to it in the G2 forum. I'll go find it later. Or you can search for it.

I don't need to be taken seriously and don't be so defensive. I really do like this kind of technology being developed. I am just a little concerned that Honda is behind the curve compared to other manufacturers is all.

Kind of reminds me of Samsungs Note 7 catching on fire due to early release. and I've owned Samsung phones for years.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Don't worry about that thread as it will prove nothing.
Maybe see what Consumer Reports has learned from its Pilot owner's surveys.

I also challenge your claim that Honda is "way behind" on tech; the only thing Hondas don't seem to have is auto-park.
Again, you can't link to anything that supports that opinion.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The "sensing" features on the Hondas always seem to need some kind of exception. This is not OK.

I hope in the future they can advance their systems to fully functioning out of the box.

I have not used their system personally, so I have no game in the fight. But that being said, I'm glad I didn't wait and extremely long time to wait for an E to even become available.
For me I think Honda got the balance right on all the sensing features... If I wanted the vehicle to drive itself I'd go get a Tesla.

LKAS, RDM, and the other sensing features have functioned as mentioned in the owners manual. To get a better "feel" for what it sees press the LKAS button on the steering wheel so the road lines appear on your multi info display and you can see what lines the system sees or has trouble seeing.

Even Teslas have trouble staying in lanes with dashed lines while merging.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Never thought my initial rant was going to generate such interest and debate, lol

First and foremost, I want to thank all of you for your responses and suggestions.

Yeah, I've softened on the issue, but still wish that the 'Lane Watch' was also offered along with the BSM. If there was a way to add it myself and not 'break-the-bank', I would. This, along with the finger print issue on the touch screen (which supposedly may be addressed for the 2018 model) are the chances one takes when buying a 1st year model release. However, I highly doubt that the Lane Watch will ever be added along side with the BSM.

With all that said, again thanks for all the insight and interest in responding. The E should be at the dealer shortly. ('Should', being the operative word!) Unless there's issues with my own inspection of the vehicle and if by chance we really don'y like the Forest Mist color as we've never seen one in person, we'll go through with the purchase (Even without my coveted and precious,,,,,, "LANE WATCH",, lol) :wink:

Reactions: ScooterS

·
Registered
377 Posts
Never thought my initial rant was going to generate such interest and debate, lol

First and foremost, I want to thank all of you for your responses and suggestions.

You left out all the mis-information generated by Mr. Black.
Like this nonsense:
“BSI not mounted on the mirror glass is useless to me. In the cars we drive that do have it, that's where it (on mirror) belongs for maximum usefullness,” stated Mr. Black.

Consumer Reports on Honda Pilot: “Wide Availability of Advanced Safety Equipment is a positive.
Advanced crash-prevention tech is available across the lineup, but only the top-level Elite gets blind-spot detection. In its place on most trims is the LaneWatch camera, but glancing at the display screen takes your eyes off the road.”

That's where I first read about this concern and why I am prefer BSM. Lets see what Honda ois offering in 5 years.
Additionally CR extensively tests safety systems and has done so since they began appearing on vehicles (ABS, ESC). If there were any serious issues with CCA, AEB, LKA, I am positive this bunch at their own dedicated testing facility would've caught whatever problem Black is conjuring. Facts on Crs auto testing from their website:

More facts:
A team of trusted experts who put thousands of products to the test each year in our 50 state-of-the-art labs and 327-acre automobile testing track.
Advocates and policy experts in offices across the country who engage with more than 1 million consumer activists to push for improvements in the marketplace.
Venerated CR surveys—second in size only to the U.S. census—capturing feedback on purchasing decisions, experiences, and shopping habits, helping us further our work to inform and protect.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts