Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2017 White RTL-E
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my RTL-E on 2/25. Installed my Traxda lift on 3/31. It was my first time under the car and I thought "holy shit...the oil pan is RIGHT there." Honda didn't even make the smallest attempt to protect anything under the car. I think it's the first car I've ever owned without even a plastic tray there. Ordered a skid plate from No-Lo Designs shortly thereafter and it does not disappoint. Link here: IT'S NOT WHAT YOU DRIVE. IT'S WHERE YOU TAKE IT..

Initial impression was that it was very beefy. The description says 3/16" aluminum but when you pull it out of the box it feels like 1/4". Unfortunately AL5052 is not quite as strong as AL6061, but at that thickness it should take quite a beating and is more corrosion resistant as a benefit. There may be other reasons it was chosen as well. Install was very quick, although I will be going back to put spacers between the plate and the subframe brace like others have done. Shape and fit are perfect, with full coverage of all the sensitive parts but access holes for oil and trans drains. It hugs the underside of the car very tightly and reduces GC by as little as I would think is possible for any skid plate. If it seems like a lot in the photos, it's because I took them at different angles. Overall a very nice piece.

Ian, the guy behind No-Lo, designed these himself, presumably for his own RL. Nobody designs anything half-assed for their own car. Now he sells them for an extremely reasonable price and I have yet to see a single negative review. He is communicative and helpful, a true enthusiast. Highly recommend.

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
I bought one of these from Ian early on. I agree it is the best skid plate out there for our trucks. You can PM me if you want some pointers on "modifying" the design so life is easier in the maintenance department... through experience I've made some customizations to mine.
Quick question though... what is this "put spacers between the plate and the sub frame" thing you are talking about? I've had no problems or strange noises with mine yet. Thanks!

·
Registered
2017 White RTL-E
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought one of these from Ian early on. I agree it is the best skid plate out there for our trucks. You can PM me if you want some pointers on "modifying" the design so life is easier in the maintenance department... through experience I've made some customizations to mine.
Quick question though... what is this "put spacers between the plate and the sub frame" thing you are talking about? I've had no problems or strange noises with mine yet. Thanks!
Thanks, I'll probably do that! The rear mounting points require you to remove the bolts from the braces, put the skid plate on top of the braces, then reinstall longer bolts. The problem is that it deforms the braces when you try to torque the bolts back down since the braces are convex, not flat. The braces soften the bolted joint and you'll never reach the torque spec on these bolts. It's a bit nitpicky and would 99% probably be just fine. But I'm an engineer by trade and I can't leave stuff that way.

I'll be putting a spacer, and a washer if needed, between the plate and the brace to make the joint solid again.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,640 Posts
It is great to see how thick that plate is.

On another note, have you checked out the leak/stains on the underside of your transmission and center diff?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks, I'll probably do that! The rear mounting points require you to remove the bolts from the braces, put the skid plate on top of the braces, then reinstall longer bolts. The problem is that it deforms the braces when you try to torque the bolts back down since the braces are convex, not flat. The braces soften the bolted joint and you'll never reach the torque spec on these bolts. It's a bit nitpicky and would 99% probably be just fine. But I'm an engineer by trade and I can't leave stuff that way.

I'll be putting a spacer, and a washer if needed, between the plate and the brace to make the joint solid again.
Thank you for the explanation! Please share what material you are using for the spacers and what thickness or size! I just might take your advice. :)

Reactions: meghanisyourhero

·
Registered
2017 White RTL-E
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is great to see how thick that plate is.

On another note, have you checked out the leak/stains on the underside of your transmission and center diff?
I think I see what you mean, but I'll have to take another look. I would remember if I noticed it was wet or leaking.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Bought my RTL-E on 2/25. Installed my Traxda lift on 3/31. It was my first time under the car and I thought "holy shit...the oil pan is RIGHT there." Honda didn't even make the smallest attempt to protect anything under the car...
Nope, they certainly didn't. Whether on or off pavement, driver best beware.

·
Registered
2017 White RTL-E
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good eye, man. 7 months into ownership and I'm definitely seeing some seeping happening from the trans. It's not bad enough to be dripping, but the underside was gunky at the lowest points during my oil change last week. Had a hard time determining the source. Does not appear to be coming from the driver side axle seal, which was my first suspicion.

The car is under warranty still, but there may be some risk that a shitty dealer will deny warranty by citing the mild Traxda lift as the cause. This would be BS of course, but we all know how that works sometimes. Will try to find a friendly/mod-tolerant dealer around Denver to take it to.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,640 Posts
I would say take it in and get an assessment. As long as it is not driveline related due to lift, they should diagnose and fix it. You dont wan it to be something serious like the block or head or crank seals.

·
Registered
2017 White RTL-E
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would say take it in and get an assessment. As long as it is not driveline related due to lift, they should diagnose and fix it. You dont wan it to be something serious like the block or head or crank seals.
Luckily the gunk smells like ATF, not oil.

·
Registered
2021 WBE
229 Posts
I had this after the plate was reinstalled at the dealership after an oil change. For me it was because the plate was too far "back" in the slot (meaning the bolts were going through on the rear-end of the slot instead of the front end). I loosened and slid the plate forward and that did the trick.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just found the website for these skid plates for my new 2020 ridge sport. Sounds like a good move to protect the underside. Anyone do all the plates? I thinking of doing them in the coming months. An ounce of protection........ thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,708 Posts
Does anyone know if this skid plate will fit the 2021 Ridgeline? Not sure if the new transmission made a difference in the mounting points.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,640 Posts
Does anyone know if this skid plate will fit the 2021 Ridgeline? Not sure if the new transmission made a difference in the mounting points.
Does it mount to the transmission or the subframe? The current gen pilot had a 6spd and a 9spd option and if a skid plate fit that, should be the same for the Ridgeline too.

@Venphic can you answer this one?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts