Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why would Honda offer a OEM hard tonneau cover when their tailgate
does not lock?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Same reason they did in 2006-2014, and the same reason every other mfg with an OEM cover did before the fairly recent trend of locking tailgates. (trend started more because tailgates were being stolen than anything else- and Honda tailgates don't get stolen). It's just another way to go.

I'd like very much to see a locking tailgate.... but it's absence doesn't negate the value of a cover, anymore than it ever has.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Well on 2006-2014 Honda had a key lock on their OEM Tonneua Cover.
It however is not a good made lock but it does lock the tailgate when working.
2017 cover from pictures does not appear to have a lock on it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Pop and Lock marketing told me they're waiting for the G2 to come out and see if the tailgate does lock or not. They will most likely release a DIY lock but not sure what the timeline is. I'm going to hold off on the G2 until I know there is a way to secure that bed.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Same reason they did in 2006-2014, and the same reason every other mfg with an OEM cover did before the fairly recent trend of locking tailgates. (trend started more because tailgates were being stolen than anything else- and Honda tailgates don't get stolen). It's just another way to go.

I'd like very much to see a locking tailgate.... but it's absence doesn't negate the value of a cover, anymore than it ever has.
My dad's 2004 Titan has a locking tailgate, so it's not really new.
Another thing that can be stolen with the tailgate unlocked is the tail lights. On most trucks, it's just 2 screws accessed with the tailgate open.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
My dad's 2004 Titan has a locking tailgate, so it's not really new.
Another thing that can be stolen with the tailgate unlocked is the tail lights. On most trucks, it's just 2 screws accessed with the tailgate open.
Ridgeline is a little different because it's dual action opens two ways.
Not just drop down to open but swing open from side.
But other purchased after market before for G1 Ridgeline.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I spoke to personal at the Torrance,Ca facility, after twenty minutes of searching "no locking tailgate".
I can see if they offered a wrap around rail hard cover like Snugtop or Topdeck, but a top rail type can't keep the tailgate from being opened and the cover stolen.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well I still have that PopNLock, white, brand new in the box that fits the RL-06-14 models in the Trading Post here. :wink:

But as posted here about the dual action tailgate. I never installed this on my '12 RL-RTS but would it lock the tailgate for both pull down and swing out options? Though there was a big rash of stolen truck tailgates here in TX when I owned my RL, I was more concerned about someone just being able to open the tailgate even with my aftermarket tonneau cover I installed on my RL back then.

Yeah, I always find I'm correcting sales persons on the features of autos on their lot. They should take the time to learn more about the autos they are selling. But I guess they learn as each knowledgeable customer educates them.

Reactions: phineas

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've spoken to a few different dealers this week they are all saying the same thing that the tailgate locks with the key fob.

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
The dealers may have read the press kit materials that say locking tailgate. Some folks that have been up close and personal with the truck indicate that that is a typo in the press kit. It should have said locking trunk.

Many of us would love a locking tailgate and want to believe it could be true, but we've also been burned by Honda too many times to get our hopes up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Probably the best thing to do is wait until someone takes delivery and then tells us what their truck has. Then we will know.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think these photos will shed some light on a possible source of confusion regarding a locking tailgate. This is the Quick Reference Guide provided to dealership personnel. Page three shows "power door and tailgate locks". I'm betting it's a misprint and should read, "power door and trunk locks".

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Maybe its not a misprint. If it was, it would imply the trunk lock is power. Anyhow, let's wait until folks start taking delivery and then we will know for sure.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
I've looked closely at the Ridgeline pictures. The "bump" to the left of the tailgate handle is the rear camera, not the key lock. There was a keylock in the "trunk" video during one of the Carshow roll outs. Has anyone seen a Keyfob??

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,344 Posts
Maybe its not a misprint. If it was, it would imply the trunk lock is power. Anyhow, let's wait until folks start taking delivery and then we will know for sure.
GenI Ridgeline has a power trunk lock that is part of the central locking system. I can't imagine the GenII would be any different.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can't speak for the tailgate, but there is definitely a video where the trunk was locked when the presenter tried to open it and someone off camera unlocked it, or at least that is how it appeared. There is a chance that video was edited to just make it appear that way though.

·
Registered
606 Posts
1 - 20 of 97 Posts