Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried to work through the common scenarios and I'd like some new ideas to consider. I apologize for the length of the description but there are a lot of really obvious questions you would need to ask if I don't tell you where I am in the troubleshooting process.

==================================
Problem:

When a new gage group is installed in a 2006 Ridgeline RTL Navi the section for the Outside Temp remains blank. Not that the temperature value is missing (as per a sensor error) but instead the functional area is blank or missing. This is visible as the obvious dark rectangle between the vehicle overview to the left and message center items to the right found in the lower center display section. Reinstalling the original gage cluster unit returns this function to normal.

Steps to reproduce:

Remove power to vehicle. Remove dashcover. Disconnect eight connectors to functional areas. Set cover aside. Unscrew four gage retaining screws. Remove three connectors on gage unit. Remove gage unit. Replace with service gage unit from donor vehicle. Reconnect three gage connectors and continue assembly including reconnecting main battery. Upon turning the ignition key to the first position the entire cluster lights in an initiation sequence and normal operation begins. Through all of this the function appears non-existent. A driving test which allows the system to recalculate stored values for some default display functions causes no change.

Troubleshooting and isolation attempted:

1) Searched parts systems to see if there is a different model gage set for various trim levels in which installed. Only one model cluster is shown for this vehicle for every trim level, in the online parts guides and the printed factory service model.
2) Read about missing temperature troubleshooting and the control systems responsible. All of these referred to a “---“ outside temperature as opposed to the entire function missing from the display. The swapping of a the original component also ruled out a system wide problem.
3) Drove the system to force a recalculation of stored temperature and display values that sometimes persist until car reaches a known speed or distance (such 19 MPH).
4) Confirmed year and manufacture of unit as well within one month of original.
5) Was able to swap the original gage cluster in and out of service to confirm that the system had not been damaged by the swap. Function appears in old gage and disappears again in new gage.
6) Noted that there is a backup and restore procedure for capturing ODO settings and restoring them. There was no mention in this process that implied configuration information or modes would be set differentially. This procedure implied that is was simply for maintaining odometer values upon replacement. I do not have access to this Honda computer and its manuals.

Background:

1) Although it’s probably not relevant, everyone always wants to know – why would you do this? Here in Michigan we have many species of no-see-ums that are small hardy insects. The dash display is incredibly bright in this truck. So bright in fact that it somehow attracted these little buggers to enter and commit suicide within the cluster. My goal is to disassemble the cluster and clean up the mess and if necessary even refinish it to restore its condition to original. In the meantime or longer I need to use this truck. So given the $530 for the part plus installation charge for a dealer to swap the cluster, I am using a donor cluster from a recycler. I researched first to find out that there was only one available for this year and then I purchased one that was as close as possible to manufacturing date and condition of the original. The swap went perfectly except for this one anomaly. If I could figure out why, then I can at the very least build a new unit with the best parts from each. If not then I’m going to have to run on the less capable one for awhile. I list all this information because there are some very obvious things to try first, everyone including me would suggest that I try those. Therefore I have listed them. I’m looking for that one dimension I missed.

Possible Solutions not tried:

1) There could be some of the configuration data transferred when a dealer does a backup and restore for transferring a cluster in their service process. This may not be worth detailing for the printed manual and so it is overlooked and not conveyed in this printed documentation I have.
2) Although there is only one part number listed in the service parts directory and service manual procedure, there may indeed be separate units for various trim levels.
3) The replacement unit may have been defective all along, if only in this one dimension.

I’m open to try many things and report back. I need another geeks perspective on this.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Where did you get the cluster?
Are you sure that it is from the same region Ridgeline, i.e. yours is a US model and so is the replacement, or vice-versa?

Did you try disconnecting the battery cable for 20 minutes? Anytime you pull the gauges the power should be disconnected. It's possible that something blew out if you didn't do that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
>>Where did you get the cluster?

A US Recycler in Minnesota

>>Are you sure that it is from the same region Ridgeline, i.e. yours is a US model and so is the replacement, or vice-versa?

Fair enough question. Both are domestic targeted Mid-west delivered Ridgelines. I'm starting to think that even though the service manual and the online parts catalogs I searched list only one cluster that these are model unique. That is a very simple explanation and this is the only evidence standing in its way. Although I'm not sure why that it's required when the layouts are identical. I've worked on other cars where the personality of the trim level was expressed without unique display SKUs. This was out of a 2006 RT and mine is a 2006 RTL. Maybe I'll need to find it a new home and rebuild mine.

>>Did you try disconnecting the battery cable for 20 minutes? Anytime you pull the gauges the power should be disconnected. It's possible that something blew out if you didn't do that.

I did go full circle through the cycle of swaps twice with the function appearing and then disappearing, so the truck systems remained functioning - as they are right now. The power was down for about ten-to-fifteen minutes during each swap. I have to admit that this is one of the most simple and well thought out dash assemblies I've ever seen. Sixteen spring clips and four screws later and it was all sitting on blankets.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I own an RTL, but I believe that the RT did not come with an outside temperature gauge. I would not assume that the instrument clusters are identical. Check on bernardiparts.com and see if the part numbers are different.

·
Premium Member
7,780 Posts
2) Although there is only one part number listed in the service parts directory and service manual procedure, there may indeed be separate units for various trim levels.
The 2006 RTL gauge cluster is called a Meter ASSY., Combination Part# 78100-SJC-A14.

The 2006 RT gauge cluster is called a Meter Assy., Combination Part# 78100-SJC-A04.

There are two different consoles depending on the trim level.

http://www.bernardiparts.com/products/78100-SJC-A14.aspx

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I suspect you gents are right. Of course I did too, but my initial sources didn't give me any counter indicators. Another interchange guide that my vendor uses does list different assemblies according to the eighth VIN digit.

A US spec RT would be 2HJYK162... where as an RTL is 2HJYK165...

So keep that in mind. I'll have another one here in a few days and I'll attempt to write up a comprehensive summary for a final post here for all to reference.

Thanks for the free feedback for a newcomer.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
You'll also need to have the dealer plug the vehicle into the HDS (Honda Diagnostic Computer) and re-configure the odometer portion of the cluster display.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts