Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one is interesting.

I had to get a boost today and the day before because my battery was dead(or just not enough to start in cold weather). I dropped it off at the dealership and they claim that my (as well as other Ridgeline trucks) bluetooth is draining my battery. For the time being they have disconnected my bluetooth until they can confirm this. Has anyone else heard of this problem?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
There's a thread here somewhere about blue tooth doing some bad things, but I don't remember what. Try a search.... or some more knowing soul will come to the rescue (usually the case here).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure how they're going to fix the problem, but for now disconnecting the blue tooth has temporarily fix the problem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure how they're going to fix the problem, but for now disconnecting the blue tooth has temporarily fix the problem.

My Bluetooth was disconnected and it worked fine until Friday Feb 30 I stopped for gas and left my headlights on and the truck would not start and i had to get another boost. I called Honda and they are still working on the problem with the bluetooth.

Other than putting the battery on a charger, what's the best way to fully charge my battery?

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,378 Posts
Options: Charge it, drive it frequently and for a decent amount of time, or fix the actual problem! If you get her up to speed and drive for more than 20 minutes, your batttery should be all juiced up. If the battery or charging system is defective, all bets are off. Obviously, if you have a continuous drain on the battery from the bluetooth (or other) then even a good / charged battery will be drained in time. . .

Its pretty ridiculous to have to live with this problem. It effects the basic reliability of the vehicle so it seems only proper to start heavily pushing the issue with the dealer / Honda. If they can't fix it then its a lemon.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm beginning to believe I do have a lemon....first the road noise, then the leaky sunroof and now the bluetooth......what other options do I have?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have heard of batteries that fail early. The dealer must think that's the problem since they replaced it. Bluetooth should not drain the battery unless the Bluetooth unit is defective. If it is defective, the Bluetooth unit should be replaced.

I don't think you have a lemon if you only had a bad battery and a leaky sun roof. Honda vehicles are usually very reliable but they are not perfect. You wouldn't believe the list of issues I had with a new Ford Explorer in the first 13,000 miles! Compared to my Ford Explorer your Ridgeline is a cream puff. I would keep your Ridgeline. That's my $0.02 worth.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have heard of batteries that fail early. The dealer must think that's the problem since they replaced it. Bluetooth should not drain the battery unless the Bluetooth unit is defective. If it is defective, the Bluetooth unit should be replaced.

I don't think you have a lemon if you only had a bad battery and a leaky sun roof. Honda vehicles are usually very reliable but they are not perfect. You wouldn't believe the list of issues I had with a new Ford Explorer in the first 13,000 miles! Compared to my Ford Explorer your Ridgeline is a cream puff. I would keep your Ridgeline. That's my $0.02 worth.

Thanks, but I have to disagree......I owned a 2010 ridgeline for 3 years and never had one problem and I didn't like the way both problems were handled.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
If there is a problem with your RL that is draining your battery (bluetooth or otherwise), the dealer is responsible to fix it. Under lemon laws (vary by state) they typically have x number of times to fix it (recurring problems) &/or x number of months before they have to replace the vehicle. Check with your state's department that runs these programs (consumer affairs or ???).
AND DON'T disconnect the bluetooth to mitigate the problem! If it's OEM bluetooth (came on the vehicle new), then it is part of the vehicle & you're just buying them time / repair interval space when you do that. You'll need to demonstrate the severity & frequency of the problem for the lemon law criteria to kick in.
You really need to hold their feet to the fire, and they'll make it right. Some dealers are more resistant than others..... Good Luck.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Had my RS for 7 years. Replaced the bat about three years ago.
In the last few days I've had to jump start it a couple mornings when it has dipped below 0.

I suspect the cargo switch is getting hit when climbing in and out. The heavy clothing and boots increase the odds of hitting the switch with a knee.

Most of my trips are short, under 15 minutes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts