Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2019 RT Ridgeline ~ Luna Silver
554 Posts
2019. Only problem I’ve had is that I found wet carpet padding. Dealer didn’t seem interested in diagnosing. I’m sure if I pushed it they would have. But I dried carpet/padding. Resealed all known seams that leak. No smoking gun. But no further leak. It was found not long after I bought it. So it could have been caused by the idiot at the dealership that detailed it. Who knows.
Other than that one issue. (Which could have been human error?) It’s been perfect. Smoothest vehicle I’ve owned.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
2017 RTL-E, VIN9XXX, bought new August 2016, now have 26K miles. Other than having the wire harness and fuel pump cover recalls done (of which didn't have any of their symptoms), and a (warranty) replacement on a AC evaporator that started leaking, I haven't had any problems. Since almost all 3.7 year old vehicles have at least 1 recall and 1 warranty fix, I consider myself in the "no-problems" camp.

I drive in the upper midwest, snowy winters and hot summers, mix of city/suburban/highway driving, and occasionally tow my 4,200 lb boat. I've kept current on all my maintenance (do most of it myself), and have also done a few mods not affecting performance or reliability (as listed in my signature). I've been a ROC member since I bought my 2017, and read most of the posts here. I've had none of problems some members have cited - with the exception of the "squishy” (soft) brake pedal feel - which can be subjective and a matter of personal interpretation. I think my brake pedal feel is a bit soft, but doesn’t seem to affect my stopping distances - even when towing. So I'm OK with that (and no opposite problem of "grabby" brakes). When I did the 3 year brake fluid bleed/fill maintenance, I'd say my pedal feel went from a C (but still OK) to a B, so even better.

When I bought mine, I also bought the Honda extended warranty (mine is their 8 year / 120K / $0 deductible “D82” plan, $1,300 discount price from College Hills Honda), since I plan to keep the vehicle for a while. Trying to judge whether the vehicle "would have problems" didn't enter into my warranty purchase decision. With all the expensive active safety, mechanical, and computer/electronics in modern vehicles - these warranties pay for themselves in one typical repair. So I'm a little more sanguine about repairs (hey - I'm covered anyway) - but so far I've had a great experience.

"Your mileage may vary" - but the above has been my (good) experience, and I'm still happy with my Ridgeline. I’d still buy it again (if I could back in time).

Edited: fixed my typo on extended warranty price, and clarified that the “squishy” on this G2 forum refers to brake pedal feel (not stopping distances)

·
Administrator
15,792 Posts
ALL vehicles have problems. Although I haven't yet found a single defect in my CX-5 during the first week of ownership, I'm sure I will.

One thing to keep in mind is that what is considered a problem can be very subjective. If a driver's hearing is impaired or they always drive with the radio blaring, they may not be aware of a chirping fuel pump, a whining transmission, or a squeaking blower motor, or a rattling rear window. Some drivers don't notice or care about an upholstery defect or a broken A/C vent control as long as it failed in the open position. Some aren't even bothered by warning lights constantly illuminated on the dash - as long the vehicle starts and drives, that's all that matters and they'll consider it "reliable and problem-free". Problems are also relative to one's expectations. In the past, my parents have experienced a number of problems with their GM vehicles that would have sent me as a Honda owner over the edge. However, they consider such problems to be normal and expected and just have it fixed and move on. As a Honda owner, I was spoiled with everything working as intended and never having to return the vehicles for warranty repairs.

Let's take my 2019 Ridgeline, for example. One could say that the only "real" problem it had was the transmission. Even then, it didn't leave me stranded or cause any warning lights or messages to appear - there was simply an audible whine while revving the engine in park and it may have lasted hundreds of thousands of miles like that. Water drained down the inside of the rear widow when it rained, but it wasn't enough to flood the interior. The sliding rear window creaked when driving over uneven surfaces, but it always opened and closed. The engine compartment smelled like gasoline at times, but it never leaked on the ground or caught fire. The protruding sunroof gasket was purely cosmetic - it never leaked or caused noise. I could finish the list of problems I've had with my 2019 Ridgeline, 2019 RDX, 2018 Accord, and 2017 Ridgeline, but I think you get the idea. Most of the issues I experienced were cosmetic or audible nuisances. I was never left stranded by any Honda, but I do expect them to be at least as well-assembled as they used to be decades ago.

Given the frequency at which I trade, long-term quality isn't an issue for me. However, I expect every...single...feature to work exactly as intended whether I use it or not. I don't want to have to take the vehicle in for one...single...repair during warranty. Honda used to be the answer to this, but not anymore.

Returning to the spirit of this thread, I'll say that I had "no problems" with my 2017 Civic Si, 2016 CR-V, 2014 Ridgeline, 2010 Ridgeline, 2009 Civic, 2007 Ridgeline, or 2006 Accord. Actually, now that I think about it I did have starter squeal, a loose door card, and a tailgate mechanism problem on the 2010 Ridgeline.

·
Registered
2019 RT Ridgeline ~ Luna Silver
554 Posts
Like I’ve mentioned a couple times. My wife has a 2011 cx9 and loves it.
BUT.... it has not been without “trouble”. Most of the little things I fixed because within months of purchasing our Mazda dealer closed closed its doors. So I was left w a two hour drive for service.
Squeaky dash I tore apart and fixed. Stripped power window gears.. known issue, I fixed...and keep a spare. Sunglasses holder or I call it the garage remote holder has been repaired more times than I can count, I believe the next step is just to replace the whole assembly $$...and an air leak sound on the passenger door ( driver doesn’t hear it...so no issue)
when I finally had a big enough pile of recall notices I made the two hour drive to an unknown dealer to have both controller arms replaced, brake booster replaced, some part on the AC replaced, both airbags replaced and while there went ahead and had the transmission serviced(which Mazda says you don’t need to service...3 dealers told me this and no mention of maintenance in manual.).
I will say, BEST SERVICE EVER! They gave me a loaner and spent 10 hours making all repairs. Everything was fixed the first time and they only charged me $100 for transmission fluid.
It’s been a great car and has never left us. Mostly just little annoyances...

And one of the things that drove me from ford is their recent track record. Don’t get me started w the stories I’ve heard from friends. Geez!
I think all vehicles have “issues”. In the end all we can do is report and give them a chance to fix and if that doesn’t work, sell or pursue legal action.
its odd that they replace some vehicles and others they drag their feet. I know one owner on ROC that after a few attempts at fixing a water leak, they swapped out even for a 2020. A friend w a f150 was giving a new model truck with a small up charge after a water leak they could not fix.
I guess all we can do is maintain our vehicles and if an issue arises, follow the process even if it means switching dealers...
This is something I did on my 99 f150. It developed a head gasket oil leak at 17k miles. It sat at my local dealer for a week. No one wanted to work on it. 😡. I contacted Ford, drove an hour to another dealer and was give a loaner. in two days they tore apart, repaired and returned. 21years old, no problems w repairs.
My only suggestion that has worked for me in the past is to not buy the first year model. My 06crv was the last year model, her cx9 was an established model and I waited until 2019 on my RL. I’m not a fan of helping the manufactures work out the kinks from a new year design.
😁

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
ALL vehicles have problems. Although I haven't yet found a single defect in my CX-5 during the first week of ownership, I'm sure I will.
Yes, I have no doubt that you will! zroger73, you just could not stand to allow this to remain the positive thread as it was conceived, could you? A little some place where folks could come and share with others things that make them feel good about their Honda Ridgeline. What is the matter, was it bothering you so much to have a thread where folks were complimenting, rather than complaining, that you just could not stand it any longer, forcing you to jump in and interject your negativity? I would greatly appreciate if if you will take said negativity and return to your own threads, would you do that please? Thank-you!

Actually, do not bother, you already ruined it, but that was your intention all along, wasn't it?

Bill

·
Registered
695 Posts
Back to some what positive, RTL-E bought in Dec 2016 now with 22k miles, no problems other than one recall. Also a 2017 Pilot with 20k miles with no problems.

However, we are nervous with the injector longevity and the hoops you need to jump thru to hope that Honda America will cover the repair. Honda needs to come out with a clear cut policy expressed directly to its current customers (not some internal dealership memo) that they are willing to stand behind their product and extend the warranty on the injectors. They have come out with several TSB's to address the problem, but nothing about covering under warranty.

Reactions: YetiXing

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
No real issues and a joy to drive. Mine did go in for the fuel pump recall and it's waiting on the adhesive for the "jello hood" issue. Both minor and taken care of by Honda.

·
Registered
110 Posts
No problems with my 2019 Sport that is now 1 month old. One reason I purchased the RL is because I own its cousin, a 2019 Pilot, that has been trouble free since purchased 18 mos ago.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thank you folks for keeping this thread going by promoting the many positives that the Ridgeline provides us! :D

Bill

·
Administrator
15,792 Posts
zroger73, you just could not stand to allow this to remain the positive thread as it was conceived, could you?

What is the matter, was it bothering you so much to have a thread where folks were complimenting, rather than complaining, that you just could not stand it any longer, forcing you to jump in and interject your negativity?

Actually, do not bother, you already ruined it, but that was your intention all along, wasn't it?
There is a difference between being pessimistic and being realistic. :)

Did you not read the positive points I made in my post such as this one?

Returning to the spirit of this thread, I'll say that I had "no problems" with my 2017 Civic Si, 2016 CR-V, 2014 Ridgeline, 2010 Ridgeline, 2009 Civic, 2007 Ridgeline, or 2006 Accord.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The two innovations that seen to catch a bystanders attention that receive the most comments every time we are out with our Ridgeline are when we have the tailgate open like a door, and then seeing us getting into the trunk! We agree, these two items are also what endeared us to the Ridgeline initially!

Bill

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I know this is all about gen II but I have to say it's the reason that I don't drive a gen II today. There is nothing wrong with my gen 1.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I've had 4 Gen 1s and 2 Gen 2s. The Gen 1s had the tire valve and airbag recalls done and the Gen 2 had the fuel pump recall done. Those recalls were done during regular service intervals and didn't inconvenience me at all.

The trucks were all trouble free. None of the issues like the Gen1 leaks or the Gen 2 wiring ever manifested.

I am sure there are trucks out there that have issues. The thing that always gets me is when folks mix in these glass is empty/full debates some folks tend to knock over the glasses to insist that see now you've got an empty glass too.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
I know this is all about gen II but I have to say it's the reason that I don't drive a gen II today. There is nothing wrong with my gen 1.
This should be about all Ridgelines, so there is absolutely nothing wrong with that! Besides, if there had not been a 1st generation, there wouldn't be a 2nd, would there? :D
Bill

·
Registered
88 Posts
I hate to say this ....2017 bought new 01/2017- now with 19K miles and NO issues aside from rear tailgate wiring harness loom just barely showing signs of cracking that I recovered to prevent future issues. Oh, and the dealer damaging my rear step hitch that they EVENTUALLY replaced after fighting with them.

I hate to say it because I probably jinxed myself now.
:(
Well, I jinxed myself after all.

A week after my post, I saw a drop of fluid under the passenger's side of my '17. It was literally so small that I wasn't sure what it was. Then, a few days later- another drop. This went on for a couple weeks where it would not drip for a few days, and then a single drop would appear. I put a pan under it when I parked to finally accumulate enough drops to see it was anti-freeze. But, I was hesitant to take it to the dealer until they had the Covid-19 crap figured out.

So, I moved the cars around and got it up on my lift. I found traces of dried coolant coming down by the ac compressor bracket and then down the oil pan. I figured it was the water pump as there isn't too much more on that side. A few days later, I took it to the dealer where they agreed it was leaking based on the residue stain. But, while I was there they could not GET IT TO ACTIVELY LEAK even under pressure. They said they couldn't do anything else unless there was a physical drop of actual fluid present. I explained that it was weeping so little that it was drying as it came down the hot engine and that I didn't plan on taking it back until they fixed it. They called later in the day and said it was in fact the water pump and they were replacing it under the power train warranty. So, there's my first actual repair.

I did learn my lesson though.... about jinxing myself. :oops:

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
34 Posts
Bought my 2020 RTL-E in Feb and only put around 2k miles on it, until last week. 2600 mile trip WI->RI->WI and not a single issue. In fact, the trip was very enjoyable and the Ridgeline was a joy to drive. Smooth, comfortable, quiet ride and get-up-and-go when needed. While I wish the ACC was a bit less "paranoid", but learned to appreciate LKAS and BSM. Fuel economy was 25 mpg indicated, with most of that 75+ mph. Four days of driving and I only saw 3 G2s on the road.

Then, while in RI helped my son with a deck project, and the RL handled several lumber runs, although the max I was comfortable hauling were twelve footers.

The truck exactly fits what I need a truck to do, and it does it really well!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yes, I have no doubt that you will! zroger73, you just could not stand to allow this to remain the positive thread as it was conceived, could you? A little some place where folks could come and share with others things that make them feel good about their Honda Ridgeline. What is the matter, was it bothering you so much to have a thread where folks were complimenting, rather than complaining, that you just could not stand it any longer, forcing you to jump in and interject your negativity? I would greatly appreciate if if you will take said negativity and return to your own threads, would you do that please? Thank-you!

Just reading this thread for the first time. Wow! Half the people posting mentioned they'd had issues, why are you jumping down zroger73's throat? I'll put it down to you having a bad day!

Anyway, you'll be pleased to know I have had no issues at all with mine. Mind you, it's only 4.5 months old and done 800 miles :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I participate on a number of different Forums and this is is populated with more whiners than all of the rest put together. My 2019 Ridgeline has been the finest vehicle I have ever owned {and I am 68 years young}. No issues whatsoever after nearly a year and more than 10,000 miles. It rides, handles and tows like a dream all the while getting excellent mileage {23 around town}.

:eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,295 Posts
Well, I jinxed myself after all.

A week after my post, I saw a drop of fluid under the passenger's side of my '17. It was literally so small that I wasn't sure what it was. Then, a few days later- another drop. This went on for a couple weeks where it would not drip for a few days, and then a single drop would appear. I put a pan under it when I parked to finally accumulate enough drops to see it was anti-freeze. But, I was hesitant to take it to the dealer until they had the Covid-19 crap figured out.

So, I moved the cars around and got it up on my lift. I found traces of dried coolant coming down by the ac compressor bracket and then down the oil pan. I figured it was the water pump as there isn't too much more on that side. A few days later, I took it to the dealer where they agreed it was leaking based on the residue stain. But, while I was there they could not GET IT TO ACTIVELY LEAK even under pressure. They said they couldn't do anything else unless there was a physical drop of actual fluid present. I explained that it was weeping so little that it was drying as it came down the hot engine and that I didn't plan on taking it back until they fixed it. They called later in the day and said it was in fact the water pump and they were replacing it under the power train warranty. So, there's my first actual repair.

I did learn my lesson though.... about jinxing myself. :oops:
Fake news!

·
Registered
393 Posts
I sit here thinking "This IS test of FATE Thread"

Seconds have gone bye..... Do I dare? I ask myself. I'll just play it safe... :censored:

21 - 40 of 56 Posts