Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I take my newly aquired 2018 RTL-E to a Honda dealer to get an oil change and I notice the tailgate does not lock with the FOB nor does it have a keyhole. I ask the service agent to have it checked out and he tells me the 20018's don't have tailgate locking capability. Are you serious???? Come on Honda!!!!! Can't lock a tailgate in this day and age??? OMG.

Anyone have any solution?. I noticed E-Trailer has something called Pop & Lock where you can install talegate locking to function with your FOB. This Pop& Lock requires some detailed installtion steps. .Any other solutions out there that someone can suggest?

:-:mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Honda has an option, as well as a few aftermarket options available through P&L.
Honda’s OEM lock is manual only via the key in the back of the fob. The P&L options are an actuator (ties into factory wiring harness) or a manual lock or a combo of both. I have installed the actuator style that works with your key fob and it works well but some have had reliability issues. I recommend getting the combo version that allows you to use a key to unlock the tailgate should the actuator fail.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honda has an option, as well as a few aftermarket options available through P&L.
Honda’s OEM lock is manual only via the key in the back of the fob. The P&L options are an actuator (ties into factory wiring harness) or a manual lock or a combo of both. I have installed the actuator style that works with your key fob and it works well but some have had reliability issues. I recommend getting the combo version that allows you to use a key to unlock the tailgate should the actuator fail.
My BP is going down and I'm starting to feel better! Thank you sir! (although I still have to install it...)

·
Registered
806 Posts
:eek:
So I take my newly aquired 2018 RTL-E to a Honda dealer to get an oil change and I notice the tailgate does not lock with the FOB nor does it have a keyhole. I ask the service agent to have it checked out and he tells me the 20018's don't have tailgate locking capability. Are you serious???? Come on Honda!!!!! Can't lock a tailgate in this day and age??? OMG.

Anyone have any solution?. I noticed E-Trailer has something called Pop & Lock where you can install talegate locking to function with your FOB. This Pop& Lock requires some detailed installtion steps. .Any other solutions out there that someone can suggest?

Why would Honda install a tailgate lock on a truck with an open bed?

Otherwise.........................

Wow, I do not believe that this topic has ever been discussed yet? :eek:
(That was sarcasm, by the way)

Bill

·
Registered
135 Posts
My BP is going down and I'm starting to feel better! Thank you sir! (although I still have to install it...)
if you go with the P&L and have any questions on the install or about it feel free to message me. I can say that if you have a late production 2019 RL the P&L part #8600 will not fit. Without bracket modification, but as you said you have a 2018 you will be good to go with the P&L!

Also I will say the reason Honda does not install a lock from factory is 2 fold. #1 Truck manufacturers make tailgate locks to prevent theft of the tailgate itself not the contents inside. #2 The RL has a lockable trunk that is much more applicable for keeping goods safe and secure.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The bolded is not exactly true. The oem tail gate lock comes with its own stand alone key. However, you can have a locksmith rekey the tumbler to have it match the key that's in your keyfob.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
The bolded is not exactly true. The oem tail gate lock comes with its own stand alone key. However, you can have a locksmith rekey the tumbler to have it match the key that's in your keyfob.

This is correct.

A really big stand alone key.

If you go the OEM route, and purchase it from a dealer(and they will be installing it), you might want to see if you can take it to a locksmith before the install. If you plan on installing it yourself, you still may want to take it to a locksmith first and have it rekeyed to the keyfob.

I'm a minimalist when it comes to keys I carry, and the tailgate lock key really stands out.

Did I mention the tailgate lock key is really big?

·
Registered
45 Posts
We just keep our tailgate key in the cubby hole on the dash and it's size just makes it easier to find!

Bill
Yeah, that's an option, but I'm just not in the habit of leaving anything in the truck/car.

My post is just a cautionary tale to those that may go the OEM route. :giggle:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Take a look at some of the threads on the P&L installation. It is easy to run a hidden emergency release to where the latch is located to swing the tail gate out in the event the P&L fails. Installation is not all that difficult. P&L suggests running the wire up to the fuse panel and connecting to the door actuator circuit at that point. I ran it to my B-Pillar and connected it to the actuator wire at that point. I like the fact that my gate now locks when my doors lock. Without it, I wouldn't put it past someone to remove my Lomax cover and sell it for scrap. Nice downtown area I work in. They're pretty good about taking spare tires and smashing windows around here. Pretty common every couple months to come out and see window diamonds and dangling spare tire cables everywhere.

·
Premium Member
3,134 Posts

Your acquisition of the truck was through a purchase, or as a gift? If it was a gift, well cant really complain about something that minuscule. If it is a purchase, then you should have done a better job in your research.

I am sure folks have bashed you enough about how funny your statement is, but either way, welcome aboard.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your acquisition of the truck was through a purchase, or as a gift? If it was a gift, well cant really complain about something that minuscule. If it is a purchase, then you should have done a better job in your research.

I am sure folks have bashed you enough about how funny your statement is, but either way, welcome aboard.
Yes! You are correct; should have done homework. My Bad. I just assumed, like door locks, wheel lug locks, and a lockable glove boxes (that no one uses) a freak'n talegate door would come with one also. Especially since they have been know to be ripped of when left unlocked. The truck has every other bell and whistle on it, why not.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The bolded is not exactly true. The oem tail gate lock comes with its own stand alone key. However, you can have a lock Smith rekey the tumbler to have it match the key that's in your keyfob.

Hmmm, didn’t know that, all the more reason to go with the P&L system in that case.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
@Al E Numan --- you're definitely not living up to your alluded user-namesake.

A chill-pill and ten repetitions of the mantra "What, me worry?" might be in order.

:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
256 Posts
LOL wait til someone informs him that it's NOT a solid rear axle............AND it doesnt have a transfer case.

The humanity!

I too am incredibly upset about it not coming with the features it was never advertised to come with and that I never bothered to check for in the first place and that several other model trucks out there don't come with on lower trims.

Gosh darnit.

The bolded is not exactly true. The oem tail gate lock comes with its own stand alone key. However, you can have a lock Smith rekey the tumbler to have it match the key that's in your keyfob.
Didn't someone just post the other day that they re-keyed it themselves in only like 10 mins?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Yes! You are correct; should have done homework. My Bad. I just assumed, like door locks, wheel lug locks, and a lockable glove boxes (that no one uses) a freak'n talegate door would come with one also. Especially since they have been know to be ripped of when left unlocked. The truck has every other bell and whistle on it, why not.
Trucks I've owned over the years: two Fords, two Chevs, a Dodge, a Mazda, two Toyota and two Honda. None had a tailgate lock.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts