Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
I’ve had Datsun, Mitsubishi, Tacoma, and 2 F150s. IIRC, all those had tailgates that could be removed in about 30 seconds. In areas with higher crime, they need tailgate locks. I’ve looked at the hinge on my Ridgeline tailgate. There is no way someone could walk off with it without some serious disassembly.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I’ve had Datsun, Mitsubishi, Tacoma, and 2 F150s. IIRC, all those had tailgates that could be removed in about 30 seconds. In areas with higher crime, they need tailgate locks. I’ve looked at the hinge on my Ridgeline tailgate. There is no way someone could walk off with it without some serious disassembly.
Used to borrow BIL's Ford Ranger, and you could slide that one off in nothing flat.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
I just assumed, like door locks, wheel lug locks, and a lockable glove boxes (that no one uses) a freak'n talegate door would come with one also.
I hate to break it to you but the wheel lug nut locks are a dealer installed option just like the tailgate lock.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I am feeling so deprived, where in over 50 years of car and truck ownership I have yet to experience anybody stealing a tailgate or wheels. :cry:

Yes, in association with the tonneau cover, we have installed a lock on the tailgate of our Ridgeline, but we have yet to actually lock it since we very seldom store anything in the bed.

Bill

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Apparently some of us don't live in S Florida. :) Where, by the way, twin engine outboard motors are ripped off of boats all the time and a lot more time consuming to do so. I can show you my neighbor's truck right now, with a missing tailgate.

All is good, I've order my Pop&Lock and will install soon.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I am feeling so deprived, where in over 50 years of car and truck ownership I have yet to experience anybody stealing a tailgate or wheels. :cry:

Yes, in association with the tonneau cover, we have installed a lock on the tailgate of our Ridgeline, but we have yet to actually lock it since we very seldom store anything in the bed.

Bill
A coworker discovered that his tailgate was missing one morning when he went out in the morning to go to work. His truck, (GM) had a tailgate lock, but he didn’t lock it. A lot of tailgates disappear in the DFW area.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
A coworker discovered that his tailgate was missing one morning when he went out in the morning to go to work. His truck, (GM) had a tailgate lock, but he didn’t lock it. A lot of tailgates disappear in the DFW area.
Is there a thriving black market for pickup tailgates?

·
Registered
806 Posts
The tailgates on our other pickups would take less than a minute to remove, really handy when needed, but maybe we had better just leave them off and store them in the garage now that we know there is a crime spree of tailgate snatching going on? :unsure:

Naw, both of them are almost 50 years old now, after this long I think we'll risk leaving them on! :whistle:

As far as the Ridgeline goes, locking it still seems like a wasted effort, I simply cannot see anybody taking the time and effort to wrestle it off, but, if they do, I'll surely return here to tell ya all about it.

Hey, maybe that is an idea, how about all you folks that have had your Ridgeline tailgate snatched share your story with us?

Bill

·
Registered
45 Posts
My Ridgeline is the first truck that I have ever owned. When I took it to work for the first time, my coworkers came out to look at it. Upon finding that it didn't(at that time) have a locking tailgate, I was informed that it may be something I should look into getting. I live in Oklahoma, where trucks are king. I have heard from several long time truck owners, that tailgate theft is indeed a very real thing. A couple friends/coworkers said that they thought the dual opening tailgate would probably be harder to steal than a regular tailgate.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
... Didn't someone just post the other day that they re-keyed it themselves in only like 10 mins?
It was ///Audience who did it himself and stated, "Took me about 10 minutes on youtube and an hour of cursing," suggesting it looked simple on YouTube but there was a lot of trial and error needed for someone doing it for the first time.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It was ///Audience who did it himself and stated, "Took me about 10 minutes on youtube and an hour of cursing," suggesting it looked simple on YouTube but there was a lot of trial and error needed for someone doing it for the first time.
Yup, that was me. I used the exact video above to learn how to disassemble the cylinder and then it was trial and error for an hour. There were 7 half wafers and 1 full wafer. Numbered 1-6. I was only to get 4 to fit with my OEM key as I apparently need the other wafer numbers. However, 4 wafers still locks perfectly albeit a little less secure. Not a problem for my needs. If someone wants to get in, a screwdriver will get them in just as quick regardless of how many wafers there are.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yes, each time one is stolen, they need to replace it. The local tailgate seller just happens to have one in your color, it's you lucky day!

·
Registered
51 Posts
The ridgeline sells in such low numbers, that even in a thriving black market for tailgates, there still wouldn’t be a market for ridgeline ones.. lol.

There’s no incentive for thieves to take one from a ridgeline even if it was easy to take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Yes! You are correct; should have done homework. My Bad. I just assumed, like door locks, wheel lug locks, and a lockable glove boxes (that no one uses) a freak'n talegate door would come with one also. Especially since they have been know to be ripped of when left unlocked. The truck has every other bell and whistle on it, why not.
As has already been mentioned, no one is going to EASILY steal your tailgate. This tailgate is like no other and removal would require a good amount of tools and time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
As has already been mentioned, no one is going to EASILY steal your tailgate. This tailgate is like no other and removal would require a good amount of tools and time.
Still not sure I agree. And even if they can't get to it - how much damage will be done prying and using tools by some punk who thinks he can rip it off.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Still not sure I agree. And even if they can't get to it - how much damage will be done prying and using tools by some punk who thinks he can rip it off.
Honestly I think more damage would be done WITH the tailgate lock installed. The tailgate lock just interrupts the mechanism with a flimsy piece of plastic. If someone attempts to yank the handle while locked, the handle mechanisms will surely crack. Id rather someone look over my tailgate and determine its too difficult to remove than shatter my handle mechanisms.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Another reason I put an alarm on my truck that is both remote and app based so if the alarm goes off I'm getting notified immediately. Stealing the tailgate, best of luck. I have the OEM lock, a locking tonneau, and you can't get at it without setting off the shock sensor.

·
Registered
193 Posts
:-:mad::mad::mad::mad:
[/QUOTE]
But the trunk locks, right? I don't think ANY of the tailgates lock, why would they, the beds are open...
If you add a shell, add a lock... I'd hate to have to unlock my tailgate every time I open it...
Opening the other 3 doors is frustrating enough since they stay locked even when the driver door is unlocked...

·
Registered
23 Posts
But the trunk locks, right? I don't think ANY of the tailgates lock, why would they, the beds are open...
If you add a shell, add a lock... I'd hate to have to unlock my tailgate every time I open it...
Opening the other 3 doors is frustrating enough since they stay locked even when the driver door is unlocked...
[/QUOTE]
You can program the door lock button to unlock all the doors when you press the button.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts